D&D 5E 5E's poor book bindings

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm pretty rough on mine, have had them since release date, and use them regularly. So far no issues. Between my wife and me, we do have like 4 copies of the PHB in our house, so maybe we spread the usage between copies?

The issue wasn't one of general quality, but a small percentage of the first print run had catastrophic flaws that caused the books to fall apart fairly quickly. Those of us who got bum copies noticed and talked about it online pretty loudly.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
1st Copy PHB (2014): fell apart almost immediately, pages loose. Replaced by WOTC with receipt + pics. No problems.
1st Copy MM (2014): lasted a little longer than PHB, entire NPC section came out. Didn't go through hassle of replacing. A few years later, friend gifted a newer MM. No problems.

jgsugden

Legend
I bought all three books ASAP, including 2 PHBs. The MM and DMG both have held up, but both PHBs died on me. WotC replaced the one I requested, but I find that I use the broken ones as much as the healthy one.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Yeah, my first-printing PHB's binding died a horrible death. WotC replaced it for free with a reciept and pictures. The new one is holding up well. My first-printing MM has shown some structural integrity problems, but hasn't fallen apart yet. It's only a matter of time, though. My DMG doesn't seem to have any issues, at least (fingers crossed).

coolAlias

Explorer
Been pretty lucky with my core books.

On the other hand, my copies of MToF, XGtE, VGtM, GotSM etc... while they didn't exactly fall apart, the binding definitely isn't attached as firmly to the book cover as I'd like, and I went so far as to get some special bookbinding glue in a mostly-successful attempt to remedy that.

Note that the semi-detached binding issue was on day 1 of purchase with each of the above.

I'm on my second monster manual, second player's handbook, and several of the earlier adventure books the pages have started to crack away from the spine. (I'm very much spoiled by the higher book quality in 1E AD&D or some of the indy OSR publishers - those 70's books were indestructible). Couple of questions:
  • Anyone else trashed copies of their books through use over the 5-6 years - bindings cracked, pages coming loose?

It is extremely common to get bindings that fail. It was common with 4e printings. It was common with 3e printings. Every book from the last 20 years has had reports of books that fall apart, even within the first six months. WotC has always been good about replacing those that fail prematurely, and they've always had to do so. If you got books that lasted 5-6 years of heavy use, you got good bindings. Bad bindings are the ones that fail in 5-6 months of use. Those are the ones WotC replaces.

• Were there special editions of the core rulebooks that included a higher quality binding or publishing characteristics?

No.

• Have more recent printings improved the quality of the bindings?

It's an identical binding process, so no. Some books don't wear as well as others; it's mostly random. You get a lot more reports of failures at the beginning of the game's lifespan because that's when a huge number of people buy all three books at once. It's luck of the draw combined with how heavily you use your books.

The 1e AD&D books had library-reference-grade case bindings, which are the most expensive bindings available due to the materials, time, and labor involved. If those were used for 5e books it would more than double the cost of the book. $50 US in 2020 is about ~$15 in 1980 based on online inflation calculators ($1 in 1980 is about $3.30 in 2020). I remember the books costing closer to $25 in the early 80s, which is closer to ~$80 each in 2020. And the 1e books were in black ink with plain, if heavy, paper and they have half the total page counts. 5e has 988 pages in the core books (5e PHB 316, 5e DMG 320, 5e MM 352). AD&D 1e has 480 pages (1e PHB 128, 1e DMG 240, 1e MM 112). Something like three-quarters of the cost of the 1e books was the binding. That's why they last.

Instead of $150 you'd be dropping $300 to $400 for a set of 5e core books with bindings equivalent to the 1e books, and the only thing that would be better would be the binding. Previous editions have had premium versions of books (I have a 3.5e leather bound premium edition) but I don't think it has better bindings.

Remove ads