• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5th edition monks

Strength and Dex are increasingly weird.

To hit and damage are based around Strength because the game was based on chainmail and the attack roll assumed the Strength part wasn't about whether you hit or not but whether you got through armour.

A lot of games in the 80s and 90s thought using Strength to hit things was silly and instead used Dex (or agility or equivalent). A lot of people began noticing that this made Strength somewhat of a lesser attribute as it covered very little whereas Dex (or equivalent) covered a lot.

3.0 designers were clearly aware of this so as well as keeping Strength to hit they also linked Strength to certain skills. (But they threw a bone to the expectations of much of the role-playing community with finesse).

D20 games seem to have been very influential and now Strength covers athleticism in a lot of games. At the same time, the general public understanding of Strength has broadened with the popularity of things like Crossfit and ideas like core strength and functional strength, so that it feels more plausible that a high strength doesn't automatically equate to body builder (this was more of an complaint in the 90s - people didn't want attack rolls to depend on Strength because they thought it was silly that every warrior should look like Arnie in the Conan movie).

But how this actually interacts with Dexterity is odd. If Strength covers functional strength then it should definitely cover acrobats and martial arts (which requires a lot of functional strength) and of course there's the fact that scrawny rogues are likely to suck at climbing, which is traditionally a rogue thing.

It feels like if they're going to be separate things than they should be concrete things - but we're told now that Strength is not really so much a concrete thing as an abstract representation of a whole lot of forms of training and body types.

Last edited:

So... why is it okay for, say, a Warlock to climb up a sheer surface without rope or pitons, but not a Monk?

Because there is no possible reason for monks to exist in my setting (hence my ban on the class).

Oh, and warlocks are banned as well, for a different reason.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I'd rather model a strength unarmed martial artist on the Fighter, though. Just looking to genres, there are those martial artists who go unarmored and then there are those warriors who wear armor.
I basically did this by enabling any of the 4 main 4e martial classes to be Martial Artists. In a campaign that featured Martial Arts it really opens up your flavors massively. Of course 4e has a monk build where Strength is a secondary already.

Morlaf

Villager
glad I posted this.
quite a few ppl agree with me - it's nice to not be alone when you moan about sommat - and those who don't most offer some valuable explanations/alternatives.
shame about the ppl who tried to turn it into a racist argument (!?)

glad I posted this.
quite a few ppl agree with me - it's nice to not be alone when you moan about sommat - and those who don't most offer some valuable explanations/alternatives.
shame about the ppl who tried to turn it into a racist argument (!?)
It's not just monks. Rangers also ought to be good at athletics (and you need a whole lot of strength to shoot a longbow), but unless you're a melee ranger there's just not enough benefit to investing in Strength (You can't afford to max it - and putting 12-14 in Strength is a big investment for one or two points on a single skill.)

And as I mentioned earlier - most Rogues I've seen are poor climbers.

Last edited:

Undrave

Legend
It's not just monks. Rangers also ought to be good at athletics (and you need a whole lot of strength to shoot a longbow), but unless your a melee ranger there's just not enough benefit to investing in Strength (You can't afford to max it - and putting 12-14 in Strength is a big investment for one or two points on a single skill.)

And as I mentioned earlier - most Rogues I've seen are poor climbers.

That way lies simulationist headaches...

That way lies simulationist headaches...
Not really. I'll admit the archers "should be strong" thing is a simulationist concern (and not one that really bothers me - although I find the opposite - archers are always scrawny, somewhat annoying).

It's really just about archetype fidelity...and there's various ways around it. (eg you could just give rogues a class ability to use Dex for climbing rather than Strength.

The ability score system in 5E has weird outcomes that don't really fit the archetypes very well (Like Clerics routinely having the best perception in the party).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads