• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

5th Edition Ogre Characters - Help with house rules.

Kor

First Post
In an evil campaign I am creating, one of the character races I would like to offer is an ogre. (Note, only 1 allowed in the party at a time and their class selections are limited).

The hard part about this, is that I want to make this race to be available as a Level 1 selection, yet be somewhat balanced with the other classes. I do want to keep the ogre's abilities still somewhat in line with the Monster Manual stats. To do this in a reasonable way, the ogre player character will be considered a "young ogre". My initial thoughts are this:

Race Traits:

Ability Adjustments: +3 Str, +2 Con, -2 Int
Darkvision: 60'
Size: Large with 5' reach
Slow: An ogre suffers a -3 proficiency penalty. As the ogre increases in level, this penalty is reduced by 1, until the penalty is eliminated at level 4.
Meaty: An ogre character starts with an additional 2d10 hit points. These hit points only represent extra health and are not maximized at 1st level, nor are they considered Hit Dice.
Strong: Ogre player characters can achieve a strength score of 22 instead of the normal limit of 20 for adventurers.

Part of the design idea, is to think of the ogre as the equivalent of a 4th level character, and to apply penalties that reduce until he achieves level 4. At level 4, a 4th level Ogre fighter should be roughly as tough as a normal ogre.

Can you please weigh in with your initial thoughts on this? Do you think that based on my rules above that a 4th level ogre fighter character would be equivalent to an Ogre from the Monster Manual?

JBobb

First Post
Maybe something like this?

Giant-kin Racial Traits
 _Ability Score Increase: Your Strength increases by 2 and Constitution increases by 1.
 _Age: Giant-kin reach maturity at about 24 years old and can live for about 125 years.
 _Giant Blood:In addition to being affected by spells and affects that work on humans, you are affected by spells and effects that work on giants as well.
 _Languages: You can speak, read and write Giantish and Common.
 _Size:Giant-kin stand between 8 to 9 feet tall and have heavy builds (take height in inches and multiply by 6.5 for average weight). Your Size is Large. You take up twice the amount of space as a human and can reach up to 10 feet.
 _Speed: Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
 _Weapon/Armor Restrictions:Armor made for a Giant-kin weighs twice as much as normal and costs 50% more than normal. Two-handed weapons (other than those with the Reach special quality) and Versatile weapons can be used one-handed with full benefit.

Monsters aren't built exactly the same as characters and 5e's design philosophy is nothing but positives for ability scores (no negatives to scores rolled due to race). Consider the ability of Large creatures to wield two-handed weapons one-handed with full benefit, reach 10 feet and carry double the amount of weight than man-sized characters as well. No need to give them a bump to maximum Strength as they get those extra advantages. Darkvision is a designers choice, you may want it, the build I have does not. Feel free to tinker away though. :)

Last edited:

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Monsters aren't built exactly the same as characters and 5e's design philosophy is nothing but positives for ability scores (no negatives to scores rolled due to race)

The DMG notes that several monsters have negatives to ability scores if used as NPC builds. I would suggest following that trend.

Scorpio616

First Post
I'd start them medium. with at least 3 levels of ogre to get to large. Large doubles damage dice so it is better, if blander to superiority dice a Battlemaster gets at 3rd level as the extra damage is for every hit.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I'd start them medium. with at least 3 levels of ogre to get to large. Large doubles damage dice so it is better, if blander to superiority dice a Battlemaster gets at 3rd level as the extra damage is for every hit.

Maybe at 5th level? That's a tier of play. It kind of fits there.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Large doesn't default to 10' reach in 5E. This is a notable downgrade and makes the extra area large creatures take up even more detrimental.

I'm using an even larger goliath (I probably could have called the ogres) and did not grant reach. I gave them several attribute minuses and a vulnerability to fear as weaknesses. Plus in many communities they are highly uncomfortable in buildings and buying stuff is really expensive.

JBobb

First Post
Large doesn't default to 10' reach in 5E. This is a notable downgrade and makes the extra area large creatures take up even more detrimental.

I noted that, but keeping their cap at 20 Strength giving the reach and ability to wield 2 handed weapons with full benefit in 1 hand seemed like a fair trade.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads