• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General 6-8 encounters (combat?)

How do you think the 6-8 encounter can go?

• 6-8 combat only

Votes: 18 15.9%
  • 3-4 combat and 1-2 exploration and 1-2 social

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • 3-4 combat and 3-4 exploration and 3-4 social

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • any combination

Votes: 19 16.8%
  • forget that guidance

Votes: 63 55.8%

• Poll closed .

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Responding to your edit: It's not common but not impossible for my players to run across monsters like that. I generally use published random encounter tables (tweaked here and there to speak to theme or setting) and ancient white dragon is a possible outcome for the highest level table. At 5th level, they are more likely to run across a young white dragon though. I would say that random encounters do increase the chances of hitting 6 to 8 encounters per adventuring day.
Did you mean control or encounter?
No control was the right word. In the #528 example I was a player & got advice to make the dragon burrow the dome . I don't know if that was overlooked or if it was advice for me as a player to have the dragon burrow out the dome.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
No control was the right word. In the #528 example I was a player & got advice to make the dragon burrow the dome . I don't know if that was overlooked or if it was advice for me as a player to have the dragon burrow out the dome.
It was something the DM might have done depending on the group's interpretation of the spell's text, not something a player could. Barring some kind of powerful enchantment, I suppose!

I also took what you said to mean "encounter."

Dausuul

Legend
Using the rest and logistics obviation spells and abilities is making a statement that the players don't want to engage in the things they obviate. And a lot of DMs are bound and determined to FORCE the players to engage in them, ignoring what they want.
Or, it's trying to use their abilities strategically for best advantage, and they expect the DM to have the monsters do likewise. I routinely play wizard types, and the last thing I would ever want would be the DM interpreting "Dausuul cast a spell to solve this problem" as "Dausuul doesn't ever want to face these problems" and eliminating them. I'm a wizard, I throw spells at every problem! If they always work perfectly, the game becomes utterly boring.

If the players want to make a statement, they are perfectly free to just say whatever it is. As DM, I am generally happy to work with them. If they don't say it, however, they have no business getting salty because I threw a curve ball their way.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Or, it's trying to use their abilities strategically for best advantage, and they expect the DM to have the monsters do likewise. I routinely play wizard types, and the last thing I would ever want would be the DM interpreting "Dausuul cast a spell to solve this problem" as "Dausuul doesn't ever want to face these problems" and eliminating them. I'm a wizard, I throw spells at every problem! If they always work perfectly, the game becomes utterly boring.

If the players want to make a statement, they are perfectly free to just say whatever it is. As DM, I am generally happy to work with them. If they don't say it, however, they have no business getting salty because I threw a curve ball their way.
I'm not so sure about this. One time the PCs threw a fireball at a tight group of monsters so I stopped including those in my game because obviously they don't want to deal with them. So now all monsters are 41 feet apart at all times.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
but that fallls into the whole "have to plan around this totally not broken thing that changed the game"
It doesn't, really. I've never accepted that the spells listed in the MM are inviolable when it comes to classes that can pick spells and/or learn spells not on the very short list given by the designers. Dispel magic is a very, very, very common and useful spell. I would never give a creature dispel magic for the hut, but rather because it's good against the hut, haste, bless, charms, mage armor, and on and on and on and on.

Question:

Does anyone have any actual play accounts of when Tiny Hut screwed up the adventure or in any way actually messed with the DMs plans?
I'm not sure if this counts as I was one of the players...

we constantly used them to set traps, and we did it as a ritual not as a spell slot. (it was me I was a tome pact feylock so I got ritual caster and could learn rits from all lists). We would put up the (8 hour) tent, wait a little bit, put up a 2nd (8 hour) tent, then go into the dungeon or town or garrison, stir up trouble, run back to the 1st one and then use it as a perfect cover hit from range.... if they took down the 1st retreat to 2nd.

we used this to kill orcs, mind flayers, and everything between. The DM came up with the dispel idea but even that took a round to dispel, and then we would retreat to second one...

an elder brain told us it 'knew our tricks' and BOY did the DM regret that when we set up 4 huts, each with trap/traps around them and waited until the slaves and flayers started dyeing to home alone style traps... all the while since he had sent 3 groups out to hunt US, we entered and killed the elder brain now defenseless.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I'm not sure if this counts as I was one of the players...

we constantly used them to set traps, and we did it as a ritual not as a spell slot. (it was me I was a tome pact feylock so I got ritual caster and could learn rits from all lists). We would put up the (8 hour) tent, wait a little bit, put up a 2nd (8 hour) tent, then go into the dungeon or town or garrison, stir up trouble, run back to the 1st one and then use it as a perfect cover hit from range.... if they took down the 1st retreat to 2nd.

we used this to kill orcs, mind flayers, and everything between. The DM came up with the dispel idea but even that took a round to dispel, and then we would retreat to second one...

an elder brain told us it 'knew our tricks' and BOY did the DM regret that when we set up 4 huts, each with trap/traps around them and waited until the slaves and flayers started dyeing to home alone style traps... all the while since he had sent 3 groups out to hunt US, we entered and killed the elder brain now defenseless.

Did you have multiple casters? Otherwise how do you have multiple huts?

And how did you abandon the huts?

Each hut goes down the moment the caster leaves it's area.

It doesn't, really. I've never accepted that the spells listed in the MM are inviolable
I don't think anyone has... but you are preping for anti spells against spells that others are saying are trouble and need revaluing
Dispel magic is a very, very, very common and useful spell.
it's useful becuse OTHER spells break the levels of power and you need to shut down said spells.
I would never give a creature dispel magic for the hut, but rather because it's good against the hut, haste, bless, charms, mage armor, and on and on and on and on.

Did you have multiple casters? Otherwise how do you have multiple huts?

And how did you abandon the huts?

Each hut goes down the moment the caster leaves it's area.
we had multi casters and familiars... it's why we stuck to 2 huts normally (although that one time we did do 3) so the others could go off and fight, cause a scene, then come back and have the unbreakable battle bunker... in the case of scrolls we had all 6 of us could use a scroll of it (7 if you count our NPC apprentice thingy)

Remove ads