• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

6 npc designer reviews at the same time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vascant

Wanderer of the Underdark
I am responsible in a way, I wrote the blurb on my update email to my current customers. It was not on the forum because I felt it only had merit with customers. Personally I like to hear what my current customers have to say, good and bad, it helps me plan out what do or add next.

In truth the review is not just for you but for me as well, personally if you are not going to take 2 seconds and download the demo and learn for yourself then NPC Designer won't solve your problems. The reviews do help me learn more about my customers and people in general. Selling on ENGS is a test for me because I have been selling on my site for 5 months and things have been going very well. I am a professional programmer though and not one into business, so rather then stop selling it Chris suggested this would allow me to get away from the business aspects of it and back into more programming.

Here is what I have learned, you can't do a free project because people will assume it is worthless without even looking and you can't create a good project because people will assume it is a scam. At this time I am asking, why am I even doing it?

DonTadow

First Post
JimAde said:
Ah. I get it. So Vascant posted in his own forums saying, "Hey the products not getting a lot of reviews." and people responded. Seems reasonable. That certainly explains the spike in reviews.
Nah, he didn't say that. The day the product was released Vascant posted the message letting forum users know the program was now available at enworld.

The reason why so many people posted on the same day (the day of its release on Enworld), is because the product has been out for several months and has gathered a large userbase of happy clients.

I've never posted a review before. Part of it is my own cockiness. I get paid anywhere between 500 to 2000 dollars an article for newspapers and magazines. When I write something I want to make sure its thorough and honest. I've liked a lot of products (Egyptian Hamunaptra, Tabletop adventures pdfs, Buy the Numbers, EOM ect), but have rarely been pleased by a product as much as npc designer. Its the only e;ectronic product i'd say that can be helpful to anyone who games.

I also have a personal appreciation for Vascant. This started out as a sideproject for him. I know with my side projects i either don't finish them or do them only for myself. So when he started taking this commercial at the fans request I thought it was pretty admirable. Then he started answering personal requests from other users such as making it compatable with dmgenie, which in itself all i wanted, a statblock that could translate to my campaign management program. Then he only charged 15 bucks for the stuff, when just about everyone agreed that the program is at least worth 30 dollars with all the ad ons.

I read the other two reviews and wanted to do a more professional piece that could be honest and detail the positives about the program. I almost feel bad that I havn't done more with the other programs I like.

Last edited:

JimAde

First Post
I didn't mean to imply anything. Vascant, I hope you're not too discouraged. It is, indeed, a thankless job trying to produce anything for gamers. :) On the other hand, you must be pleased with the tenor of the responses you've been getting in the review forum and here. I have tried NPC Designer and it seems to be a solid piece of work.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Looks like several of those reviews are healthy enough to avoid being asked by Psion to beef them up or risk the axe. It's difficult to get attention for a new company or product these days and NPC Designer (from RPGAttitude) has managed to turn some heads. I'll be sure to take a closer look, particularly since Pogre and DonTadow have taken the time to review this generator and endorse it so fervently. Well Done! :)

(rom90125's review seems meaty enough to avoid being deleted, too, but I've just not been aware of rom90125's posts until now. No offence, of course. The other three, Gammo, helcat_74, and jhartaine, will probably be asked to edit their reviews and expand on them.)

Vascant

I honestly have had quite an enjoyable experience thanks to the many people who have tried NPC Designer. They are the people who have turned what was released on August 1st to what is available now. I think what bothers me the most is how I see this from my eyes, If I seen 6 people review like that.. I would go see why before jumping to the opinion there is a scam. Since I have a Demo available, this is key to showing me really fast I am not dealing with something other then what it is, customers pleased with a product. I didn't see anyone jump Mr Cook about his review of NPC Designer and if you think those comments on ENWorld say something, read his too. NPC Designer was the first piece of software that he has commented on in his Line of Sight and no I have not given out a single copy for a review. DonTadow even put what he thought was the only lacking feature of NPC Designer, and that was added today in update 112 (Thats 112 updates since August 1st). Thats who I am as a person and how I handle my product line, anyone will tell you this has been done since the start of NPC Designer.

Just think, you have 1% of my customer base with a comment within a day of my email and they are worth more then most reviews because something has to be said about a person who paid for a product and likes/dislikes it. There are too many reviewers who do it just for the free products. If you wish to prove the current reviews incorrect, by all means do it. The only thing you will do is help me create better software.

Personally, I have achieved my goal because NPC Designer is everything I hoped it to be and to that I think a lot of people.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Vascant said:
I honestly have had quite an enjoyable experience thanks to the many people who have tried NPC Designer. They are the people who have turned what was released on August 1st to what is available now. I think what bothers me the most is how I see this from my eyes, If I seen 6 people review like that.. I would go see why before jumping to the opinion there is a scam. Since I have a Demo available, this is key to showing me really fast I am not dealing with something other then what it is, customers pleased with a product. I didn't see anyone jump Mr Cook about his review of NPC Designer and if you think those comments on ENWorld say something, read his too. NPC Designer was the first piece of software that he has commented on in his Line of Sight and no I have not given out a single copy for a review. DonTadow even put what he thought was the only lacking feature of NPC Designer, and that was added today in update 112 (Thats 112 updates since August 1st). Thats who I am as a person and how I handle my product line, anyone will tell you this has been done since the start of NPC Designer.

Just think, you have 1% of my customer base with a comment within a day of my email and they are worth more then most reviews because something has to be said about a person who paid for a product and likes/dislikes it. There are too many reviewers who do it just for the free products. If you wish to prove the current reviews incorrect, by all means do it. The only thing you will do is help me create better software.

Personally, I have achieved my goal because NPC Designer is everything I hoped it to be and to that I think a lot of people.

Did my post offend you in some way?

Vascant

Oh no, in fact I had not read your post until after I posted mine. I traded all my posting and people skills for coding a while back.. *chuckles*

I like the reviews just for a different reason, I have taken a while to understand my users and if certain people post 2 lines, thats a lot for them. Sometimes the smaller reviews att merit to the larger and more indepth. The last thing anyone should expect from me, is normal.

In all honesty, having a good day and if this thread had some else's name in it I would avoid it like the plague but it doesn't so I have to defend what I have worked a year and half to achieve.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Don't sweat it. Some of the reviews are a little thin and will probably have to be fixed or removed. Happens often enough so no big deal. There aren't any misconceptions or complaints about the actual product here so don't feel defensive. Just enjoy the added attention this brings to your hardwork (and have yourself a Happy Holiday!) :)

Psion

Adventurer
Thanks, DonTadow, Rom, and Porge for the reviews.

The rest be advised... well, Mark gave you the idea. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads