• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(6) Red Flags of a Bad Game

Mitchbones

First Post
Your a nomad you shouldnt stay in one game too long :p

One of my players asked me if he can roleplay in english accent while he rapes people...."Good day ol'chap...well not a good day for you" WTF MAN.....WTF

JUST SAY NO

PK

First Post
Mitchbones said:

One of my players asked me if he can roleplay in english accent while he rapes people...."Good day ol'chap...well not a good day for you" WTF MAN.....WTF

JUST SAY NO

Wow, so wrong. I'm guessing he isn't a paladin.

Fieari

Explorer
Agent Oracle said:
5. "Welcome to the Group! Create a 10th level character, with 2,000 gp worth of equipment." "uhh, isn't that, like, fourty-some-thousand GP short of how a 10th level character should be equipped?" "It's how we do things."
I was fine with having 2k worth of equipment in a starting campaign, until I discovered that everyone else was playing a legacy character, who had all the magical gear from their 9 previous adventuring levels.
I've actually been guilty of the opposite of this problem, as the DM, but have been working hard to correct the weakness in me. Basically, new characters get full wealth values, but the adventures I send the party through usually don't net them enough treasure at all. It was getting to the point that one player was committing suicide every three levels or so just to get more treasure into the party's coffers.

As I said, I've been working on this issue, and have gotten a lot better at it.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Mitchbones said:

JUST SAY NO

Man, that's so horrible and yet so funny at the same time. I know what kind of expression I'd make to that. Astonished and repeating the first part of the word "What?" over and over again as it progresses further into the sounds of laughter until the end with I'm just plain out laughing.

Mallus

Legend
Mitchbones said:
One of my players asked me if he can roleplay in english accent while he rapes people...."Good day ol'chap...well not a good day for you"
I have an NPC in the game I run that talks exactly like that. A would-be gentleman asassin named Jack Fancy, Esq.

I don't get particularly graphic when playing him, but that line is him to a tee...

BlackMoria

First Post
I had one DM (in a long ago game) who would have a strange reaper llike character suddenly popped in on the party whenever we gained enough experience points and offered us a chance to pull from a Deck of Many Things. Everytime we leveled up. And when all the players started to refuse to pull from the Deck (after 5 levels of this crap), the reaper would pull cards for us, the number of cards based on a random D4 roll the DM did, for each one of us.

Gods, I hated that campaign....

Mitchbones

First Post
Mitchbones said:

JUST SAY NO
The sad part is that he wanted to do it to another male PC...

ruleslawyer

Mitchbones said:
Yeah and he keeps insisting that I have guns in my campain....I dont want guns, but he is the host : /
Ah, yes. The troublesome host issue. I've experienced this charming problem as well.

I'd have a brief talk with your host, and explain two things:

1) You're not allowing evil player characters. Okay, I know that some people like playing evil games, but I do *not* recommend it for your first DM-ing experience. It's hard to keep things under control when the players are the villains, not the heroes. Roles get a lot more complex to manage, and it's really not the sort of thing that first-time players should try.

2) Guns don't fit in to your world. If he'd like to DM, that's fine, and he can have guns in his games. However, you're the one doing the work to prepare adventures that everyone will enjoy, and thus you get to call the shots this once. If he insists on pressing the matter, see if you can rotate hosting duties, thus robbing him of his privilege and putting you all back on equal footing.

Say both of the above things firmly but nicely, and you should be OK. If he tries to push you, just laugh it off and point out how silly it is to mess with your friendship and your hangout time over something as petty as a game. Unless he's REALLY dense, he'll come around.

lukelightning

First Post
Agent Oracle said:
When the Mind flayer latches on to the skull of a horse and extracts the brain...

I'd find that highly insulting. Yeah, I know I did use Int as a dump stat, but c'mon, my brain has got to be better than a horse's!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads