60 Acre "Dungeon" For Sale

Nytmare

David Jose
You know what surprises me? no one has proposed the ultimate coolness solution:
Turn it into a film studio complex, with sound stages, support facilities, and such like. Imagine actually having the Bat Mobile drive into a cave.
But yes, make it its own micro-city. Give Hollywood a real middle-america rival. Completely rebuild the economy of the region, create a new industry, and the actors and crew will be breathing much cleaner air.
And the new industry would not be competing with or disrupting neighboring facilities. The only real pollution would be garbage and exhaust from the generators and cars...

[spoilsport]

"The Real Deal" isn't necessarily cost effective. The open spaces I see in the pictures aren't high enough for good studio space, which means you need to do a lot of serious digging first. Just bringing that kind of facility up to spec for use as a full time studio would be astronomically expensive.

Having local, experienced crews already established is kind of a must before you open a studio. Bringing people in from out of town is insanely expensive, and it's one of the most important places where producers are looking to save money. You want to have have hotels and vendors in place in the local area that can support a studio and crew.

Plus Hollywood isn't really where they make movies anymore. They've (at least temporarily) lost out to the middle America rivals, and pretty much every state where they can cobble together a tax credit

[/spoilsport]

It could work as a filming location, god knows I've filmed in enough limestone cave storage facilities over the years, but there's a reason why film studios tend to be in big, flat, open expanses on the edges of big cities. It's easy to expand, and they have everything that they need at their finger tips.

Remove ads