• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

6th level spell for sorcerer

MensurB

First Post
I will be getting my 2nd 6th level spell pretty soon, I have Greater dispelling so far, since I only get two more, which one should I pick next. I was thinking mass truestike or Analyze dwenomer. Anybody have any ideas??? Also what does Mass Haste do, I know that I can cast two spells per round with that spell on, but what can the rest of the party do?
Thank you for your help

Crothian

First Post
Mass Haste is a Haste spell for everyone. They all get +4 AC bonus, and an extra partial action that can be a move, a spell, or an attack.

Spells I like are Repulsion and Tensor's Transformation.

James McMurray

First Post
I would definitely vote for Mass Haste. Everyone else can do anything they could normally do with a partial action. The cleric can cast an extra spell. The fighter types can either get an extra attack or move.

What it means is that unless the enemy can get farther than the fighter's speed away, he can't avoid getting full attacked, because the Fighter can partial charge with his haste action (getting one extra attack) and then full attack with his normal action.

They could also full attack and use an item.

The rogue can use his haste action to move into flanking position and then use his normal action to get 3 sneak attacks in.

As for the third spell later, I would suggest getting Geas/Quest if your DM plays it as written (i.e. no save and can't elect to not do the action). If not, there are other good spells:

• Legend Lore: great for getting information
  • True Seeing: Never be fooled again
  • Tenser's Transformation: go buck wild on some poor fool. Then later, when you can empower or maximize it, you'll be even scarier!
  • Veil can let you infiltrate a place looking like a small swarm of gnats or a group of orcs.
  • Planar Binding: Dangerous, but can be great when it works.

That's just PHB spells. The Mass True Strike tells me you're not restricted to just core rules. What else are you allowed?

Sagiro

Rodent of Uncertain Parentage
Crothian said:
Mass Haste is a Haste spell for everyone. They all get +4 AC bonus, and an extra partial action that can be a move, a spell, or an attack.

Spells I like are Repulsion and Tensor's Transformation.
Mass haste is, in my opinion, the most universally-combat-useful spell in the entire PH, excepting miracle and wish which can spoof its effect. Yeah, there are spells with specific other uses that are extremely powerful (Gate, for example), but over all combats throughout a campaign, mass haste is your winner. The more spell-casters you have in your party, the more powerful it is, but that extra partial action is useful for anyone. It's an extra use of a magic item, or more movement to get a fighter into position for a full attack... oh, and a +4 bonus to everyone's AC that stacks with almost everything. It's just too good.

And don't let anyone tell you that the "burn through your spells faster" effect is a significant mitigator, either. (And they'll try! :)) When you're casting twice as many spells in a round, the combats are generally lasting half as long.

Since the bard in our party took mass haste, we've had dozens upon dozens of battles, and almost every one of them has started off with said bard casting said spell. It's made the difference in a huge number of those battles.

This message paid for by the Wizards for Mass Haste Society

-Sagiro

boothbey

First Post
Mass Haste...snoooze.

I'd go for...

Disintegrate! You can never have enough disintegrates. Universal door opener and near anything slayer.

My second choice...

Anti-Magic Shell! An easy way to ruin an enemy spellcaster's day. Especially as a sorceror when you have the uses per day that you do. Also great for bypassing pesky wards and traps.

Runners up...

Repulsion, Bigby's Forceful Hand, or...Chain Lightning.

Kaji

First Post
Could you toss out what other spells you have already chosen? The suggestions here are all great, but wuthout knowing where your strength/weaknesses are, and what type of character you're playing, that don't really mean as much.

Death

First Post
In my opinion, Disintegrate is really useful spell (not just battle) and Antimagic shell is a must have in a combat with spellcasters. Third one is probably True seeing if your party doesn't have someone, which can cast it. The other choices for me are:
Chain lightning, but if you have already take Disintegrate it is not worth it.
Tenser's transformation.
If you are allowed spells from other sources, than the choices are probably a bit different.
In my opinion it is better for sorcerer to take just normal haste, but when other party member is (will be) able to cast mass haste you just leave it to the other. Sorcerer really needs multipurpose spells!

Thanee

First Post
If you don't have Haste already, Mass Haste is the spell to go with for sure!

What other spells do you have? This would certainly help to give a better advice!

Other spells I like from 6th level include:

Greater Shadow Evocation
Tenser's Transformation

Analyze Dweomer is also nice, if there is no Wizard in the party and you don't have common access to identification services.

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads