• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

7 *New* Feats for Wizards and Sorcerors!

Dakkareth

First Post
welby said:
I think the DC for insidious magic is way too high. At that point, why even have one? Then you'd have to ask, are you comfortable with your magic user turning invisible and casting charm person + silent spell in all of your encounters with humanoids?

As I was saying - a second save to realize the attempted influence makes more sense. A strong-willed wizard is going to notice, that someone just tried to charm him, while the fighter - though throwing off the enchantment by pure luck - would have to be incredible lucky to realize the magic at work.

Vlos

First Post
Ceremonial Spell,

Rather than just increase the casting cost in standard actions, I would suggest the following, this would also allow it to be used on quicken spells.

Casting Times increase:
quickened -> standard
standard -> full round
full round -> 1 minute

This would also limit the expansion to 3 levels max, which I think should be the most someone should be able to add.

green slime

First Post
I'd go with insidious influence as the name, as there already exists a feat called Insidious Magic;

from Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting page 36
Insidious Magic [Metamagic]
Prerequisites: Shadow Weave Magic
Benefit: When a Weave user employs a divination spell spell-like ability or magic item that may detect the magical aura of one of your spells, the weave user must make a level check (DC11+ your caster level) to successfully detect your spells. Similarly, a weave user attempting to use a divination such as see invisibility to reveal the effects of one of your spells must make a level check to reveal your spells effects. The weave user can only check once for each divination spell used, no matter how many of your spell effects are operating in an area.
This benefit does not extend to spells you cast from the schools of Evocation or Transmutation.
From now on, your ability to detect Weave magic is impaired. Any divination spell you use against a weave effect is successful only if you make a level check against a DC of 9 + the caster’s level. This penalty does not extend to Enchantment, Illusion, or Necromancy effects (You detect them normally).

Vrecknidj

Explorer
The Insidious Magic feat (or Insidious Influence as some are suggesting it should be called), is too powerful. Also, it requires clarification. Does this work for illusions? Enchantments? Anything?

And, since very few people in a fantasy world will have Spellcraft, it could make certain kinds of spellcasters too powerful.

And, if you want to even things up, require the caster to succeed on the Bluff check.

In this case, the Bluff can be countered with a successful Sense Motive check. If the spell is one that wouldn't grant the target any information about the caster (because the caster is hidden, or on another plane, or whatever), then you might want to add a penalty to that Sense Motive check. And, if you want to throw in a bonus for Spellcraft, give a +1 bonus to the Sense Motive roll for every 5 ranks in Spellcraft.

Dave

Vrecknidj

Explorer
mercurio,

Here's an alternative to your Ceremonial Spell feat.

Dave

OVERCHARGED SPELL [METAMAGIC]

Prerequisites: Knowledge (arcana) 6 ranks, Spellcraft 6 ranks, any one other metamagic feat

Benefit: When you cast a spell, you can increase the casting time to increase the effect. For each round spent overcharging a spell, its duration, range or area of effect is increased as though the caster were one level higher; he can only choose one of these three facets to increase (he cannot overcharge the range and duration of the same spell on the same casting). A spellcaster cannot overcharge a spell for more rounds than he has spellcasting levels (i.e. a 7th level wizard can spend up to 7 rounds overcharging a spell).

Overcharging is taxing on the caster--for each round spent overcharging, the caster must succeed on a progressively difficult Concentration check (DC 10 + spell's original level + twice the current round of overcharging). Failing this check causes the spell to fail. A spell cannot be made more powerful than the maximum allowed for a spell of that level (i.e. a spellcaster cannot create a 12d6 lightning bolt). The caster cannot Take 10 on this check. The Combat Casting feat does not modify this use of the Concentration check.

The caster must declare, at the beginning of his turn each round, whether he intends to release the overcharged spell or continue overcharging it. If he releases it, he can still take a move action after he releases the spell. If he wishes to overcharge it, then if he succeeds on his Concentration check, he can only take a 5-foot step that round (holding an overcharged a spell requires a full round). If he tries to overcharge a spell but fails his Concentration check on any given round, then he can take a move action after he misses his check.

When the caster is overcharging a spell, he can be disrupted on any round that he's making his Concentration checks. If someone else distracts him (see PHB entry on Concentration skill) then the caster may have to make additional Concentration checks to continue overcharging. Another spellcaster cannot counter-spell a spell that's being held in this way, but the spell can be counter-spelled when the spell is released.

For example, a 5th level wizard wants to cast a fireball as a 10d6 fireball; this will require 5 rounds of overcharging. On the first round, he casts fireball; if he succeeds on a Concentration check (DC 15), the spell is not discharged (and if he fails, it's wasted). On the second round, he can choose to release the fireball (it's now a 6d6 fireball); otherwise he can continue overcharging if he makes another Concentration check (DC 17). On the third round he can release the 7d6 fireball or make another Concentration check (DC 19); on the fourth round he can release the 8d6 fireball or make another Concentration check (DC 21); on the fifth round he can release the 9d6 fireball or make another Concentration check (DC 23). Finally, after five full rounds, the caster's sixth round comes up, he must now release the fireball, and it's a 10d6 fireball.

NOTES
You might argue that a 5th level caster shouldn't be able to cast a 10d6 fireball. Okay, point taken--maybe I need to modify down the total power of the feat. But, let's look at a 5th level caster with a +9 Concentration check. Since he can't Take 10, there's a 1-in-4 chance that he blows the whole thing on the first round. On the second round, he has a 35% chance to blow it. On the third round, there's a 45% chance to ruin the spell. On the fourth, there's a 55% chance, and on the fifth there's almost a 2-in-3 chance that he'll fail. So, overcharging for the maximum effect isn't likely to work at lower levels, but it gives the player the option of risking total failure against a more powerful result.

Last edited:

Kranton Zo`erth

First Post
INSIDIOUS MAGIC [GENERAL]
Requirements: Subtle Magic, caster level 10+, Bluff 9 ranks

Benefit: If you cast a spell against a target and the target succeeds on their saving throw they only realize a spell has been cast at them if they make a successful Spellcraft check (DC 20 + spell level).
Normal: If the target of a spell succeeds on their saving throw they automatically know that a spell was cast upon them, though they do not know more specific than that.

This is one of three bonus feats given by becoming a Shadow Adept in the FRCS, I believe it is in the Magic of Faerun book. Insidious magic, Tenacious Magic, and Pernicious Magic.

All of which are mechanic for the oddities involved with other mages recognizing spells deriving their power from the shadow weave. (as well as their downsides causing problem for the mage who has them)

--------Interesting mages to play though.....enjoying mine tremendously

Marshall

First Post
mercucio said:
FOCUSED METAMAGIC [GENERAL]
Prerequisites: Spell Focus (chosen school), Focused Spellcaster (chosen school), any two metamagic feats, Spellcraft 15 ranks.

I like it. The pre-reqs may even be TOO much.

FOCUSED SPELLCASTER [GENERAL]
Prerequisites: Spell Focus (chosen school), any one metamagic feat, Knowledge (arcana) 10 ranks.

Why the MM feat prereq?
And if you drop the bonus to +1, then drop all the prereqs. Its just an alternate Spell Focus that way. Oh yeah, the name stinks. Too much resemblance to SF. I called it Spell Emphasis, or School Emphasis.

INSIDIOUS MAGIC [GENERAL]
Requirements: Subtle Magic, caster level 10+, Bluff 9 ranks

Benefit: If you cast a spell against a target and the target succeeds on their saving throw they only realize a spell has been cast at them if they make a successful Spellcraft check (DC 20 + spell level).

Frank the Fighter nimbly dodges the Fireball and continues on his way....

Maybe this should be restricted to WILL saves?

mercucio

First Post
Marshall said:
I like it. The pre-reqs may even be TOO much.

Why the MM feat prereq?
And if you drop the bonus to +1, then drop all the prereqs. Its just an alternate Spell Focus that way. Oh yeah, the name stinks. Too much resemblance to SF. I called it Spell Emphasis, or School Emphasis.

Frank the Fighter nimbly dodges the Fireball and continues on his way....

Maybe this should be restricted to WILL saves?

OOOH! Against Will saves only. I like that a lot, consider it changed.

You're right, the metamagic feat for Focused Spellcaster doesn't make sense. Drop and only require Spell Focus (chosen school).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads