• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

7e Call of Cthulhu

tardigrade

Explorer
I haven't played Call of Cthulhu since the late 1990s, but still have most of my old 5e books. Could someone who has played 5e and 7e let me know what the major differences are, whether they found 7e an improvement over 5e, and how cross-compatible the editions are?

If you can also recommend a starter scenario that would be fantastic - my D&D group has expressed an interest in having a go at CoC, which is why I'm dusting off my collection. Most of them have only played D&D and only one or two have read any HPL.

Henry

Autoexreginated
There are a set of quick start rules at the following address:

http://www.chaosium.com/free-quick-start-pdf/

These will give you both a rundown of the most important changes in the game versus 5th or 6th edition, and it also comes with the classic scenario "The Haunting" which (for absolutely new cthulhu players) is still the best intro adventure bar none.

In a fast nutshell though:
- stats are multiplied x5 to make them 1-100 instead of 3 to 18
- there's an advantage/disadvantage-like mechanic "roll multiple tens place dice and take the best/worst"
- skills are slightly streamlined and clarified

No sweeping changes, still the roll low percentile system you are familiar with. Lots of expanded advice on things like adventure running, chases, tweaks to the luck mechanic, etc.

Remove ads