• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

8 more Maptool scenarios for free download WFRP & D&D

Emirikol

Adventurer
I've finished a couple more scenarios on MAPTOOL: Youc an download them for free here: Jay H's Maptool Stuff

They are WFRP scenarios that can be played with D&D. They are complete with the appropriate monsters from the original scenarios (skaven, beastmen, chaos beasts, corrupt and ally NPC's, etc.)

Jh

Emirikol

Adventurer
Jay, you mind talking a little about Maptool?

Sure. Maptool is a virtual online tabletop. It's got the usual Map + dicebot + chat features plus other things that you would normally use for running games.

I've "Maptooled" several WFRP and D&D scenarios and uploaded them. What that means is that I did up all the encounter maps and the monster/NPC "tokens". Tokens are virtual miniatures. You can download them and take a look if you would like to check it out.

It's NOT Neverwinter nights, where someone writes a scenario for a "video game." It's a true virtual tabletop, where the DM runs everything.

more to come...

Last edited:

Emirikol

Adventurer
...continued...

Anyways, I learned virtual tabletop (VTT) on Kloogewerks and playing those "less than satisfying" chat + dicebot games over on the WotC chatrooms, but I am too cheap to buy a license, so freesoftiware Maptools was the way to go.

When I prep for my regular tabletop game, I usually maptool a scenario too. (recap)_That means I scan or create the maps for the encounters and create the tokens for the NPC/monsters. All put together, they form a scenario just like regular D&D tabletop.

It seems to work very well with 4e, which has very mapped/structured combat encounters. I've done a couple of the DUNGEON adventures that way since the digital maps are easy to upload to maptools.

There's also quite a lot of Living Forgotten Realms gaming going on there too and the virtual conventions are growing by leaps and bounds because of these programs.

For players or DM's who live outside of civilization, this is the way to go if you still want to play "tabletop" with other players.

MMO's of course are different, in that some company runs the scenarios. With VTT, you're still playing with your friends..with whatever game system you want to play.

Anyone else care to share their experiences with VTT, such as Maptool, Fantasy Grounds, Battlegrounds, Kloogewerks, etc?

jh

Phaezen

Adventurer
Emirikol, this looks interesting, and I have been looking for a decent virtual tabletop to play with freinds who have recently moved overseas. Just one question, roughly how bandwidth intensive is it compared to similar products?

Phaezen

Emirikol

Adventurer
Couldn't tell you specifics, but I've not had any problems playing with people from Finland and Saudi.

jh

Emirikol, this looks interesting, and I have been looking for a decent virtual tabletop to play with freinds who have recently moved overseas. Just one question, roughly how bandwidth intensive is it compared to similar products? Phaezen

smdmcl

First Post
It's been a while since I posted but I just thought I'd pop in to put in a plug for maptools. I was in search of a VTT to play 4th edition and settled on maptools because they have an active community, the product updates regularly and it's free. I joined a campaign that started at 1st and played our 1st session on December 9th. We've been going strong since then and it's been great.

If people don't have a regular face-to-face game and still want to be playing then I think maptools (or something equivalent) is a good way to go.

Remove ads