• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

80% Rule: Are you a DM or player

[4E] Do you spend your game time as a DM, as a Player, or a mix

• I DM 80% or more of the time I play 4E

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • I am a PC 80% or more of the time I play 4E

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I both DM and play, and neither make up more than 80% of my time spent playing.

Votes: 37 28.7%

• Poll closed .

UnknownAtThisTime

First Post
This is poll number two on "topics I am merely curious about":

Regarding 4E, do you, dear ENWorld reader, spend your game time as a DM, as a Player, or a mix of the two?

Here is the decision map:

1) I DM 80% or more of the time I play 4E
2) I am a PC 80% or more of the time I play 4E
3) I both DM and play, and neither make up more than 80% of my time spent playing.

Mengu

First Post
I'm usually involved in two games, running one, and playing in one. I also play LFR, but the frequency depends on the seasons, the wind, and the phase of the moon. I'm probably 40% DM 60% Player when you look at hours of play. But if you look at the time split adding how much I spend preparing, it's probably the other way around 60/40.

Dice4Hire

First Post
I am definitely more than 80%, probably more like 95%+

I run a lot of game,s mostly on Yahoogroups, and play in two there.
I currently DM my face-to-face group, and have since Dark Sun came out.

Plaguedguy

First Post
I have always been the Dungeon Master, Game Master, Storyteller, Referee, etc.

I love the chance to tell a story, direct the action (somewhat) and entertain people and I've been fortunate to thus far have found many gamers that enjoy my style and approach.

Aegeri

First Post
I have not played a single game of 4E since release, but I have ran about six campaigns now (of various levels, 2 to epic tier though). One day I might get to play it :O

mac1504

Explorer
In the group I've been playing with for nearly 10 years, I've run two long running campaigns; a Midnight 3.5e campaign that ran for 2.5 years, a 4e campaign that we hope to wrap up in a few months that will have run for 3 years, and a very short lived campaign that only ran a little over a year (home brew). So, I think that puts me at about 70-75%.

I still went with option A.

Mummolus

First Post
I've spent about an equal amount of time playing and DM'ing - another player and I basically split DM duties on a campaign and now we're each running our own solo.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I'm taking "game time" as time at the table, under the (possibly mistaken) thought that if the poll meant total time, it would just say "time", not "game time".

If I add in prep time it would double my DMing hours, though that would put me like 70/30 so still in the mixed category.

If I add in world and plot building for a new campaign for when my current one ends, but isn't running yet so it has no table time, that would easily push it over 80% as DM.

UnknownAtThisTime

First Post
80 votes: enough, I think, to draw some conclusions.

The results so far are about what I expected. Given the nature of discussion here at ENWorld, I assumed there would be roughly 10% of posters that consider themselves strictly Players based on my definition. Right now it is 15%. It is not unnatural the the people "running" the games are the people most interested in "talking about them".

However, in the "real world" of D&D play, the ratio is likely inversed: for every DM there is perhaps 3 or 4 exclusive players. This should illustrate that, sometimes at least, our points of view on any number of topics may be vocal "here", but the minority "out there".

Thanks to all that participated in answering a question about which I was curious.

Remove ads