• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

9th level wizard: Which spells to take ?

Hi folks,

since my paladin and my backup character both went down in our last session of Monte Cook's RttToEE, I decided to play an elven mage. BTW, thanks Monte, the adventure is really nice, except a little too heavy on the save or die side... Since my paladin was 10th level, my new character will be 9th.

OK, I want the mage to be a good all-rounder, so there has to be some offensive spells as well as defense, transportation, blah, blah, blah... The spells I have already decided on are:

5th:
Teleport

4th:
Phantasmal Killer
Stoneskin
Improved Invisibility

3rd:
Fireball
Fly
Nonedetection

2nd:
Knock
See Invisibility

1st:
Mage Armor
Identify
Comprehend Languages

Any thoughts? Oh, BTW, my DM let's me have 19,000 GP worth of starting equipment, any suggestions what to get there ???

:D :D :D Thank you all very much,

The knight

Corwyn

First Post
As far as I can see you are A bit low on the offensive side. I would take 1 or 2 other offensive spells. Preferably of an other energy type.
just my 2 cents.

Shield & Magic Missile is missing, I think.
What level is Cone of Cold?
Think about Ice Storm. The spell has no save (don`t know if Spell Resistance applies), but unfortunately, only a constant damage.
Grease can be a nice 1st level spell and might also be useful at higher levels...
Cat`s Grace and/or Endurance is not bad.

Spectral Hand combined with Vampiric Touch is also a nice way to cause damage and heal yourself. :)

There are also some spells that cause negative levels - they can be very useful. They really hurt the enemies, and can potentially kill them. But I don`t know if there is anything within the first 5 spell levels.

Since you`re elf, you can use a bow, so think about True Strike.

19.000 GP of Equipment? Headband of Intellect, maybe a Boccobs Blessed Book (you won`t h have to pay the scribing cost for the spells), and some useful wands. (Shield?)

Mustrum Ridcully

Schmoe

Adventurer
Neverwinter Knight said:

5th:
Teleport

4th:
Phantasmal Killer
Stoneskin
Improved Invisibility

3rd:
Fireball
Fly
Nonedetection

2nd:
Knock
See Invisibility

1st:
Mage Armor
Identify
Comprehend Languages

Any thoughts? Oh, BTW, my DM let's me have 19,000 GP worth of starting equipment, any suggestions what to get there ???

I'd recommend the following:

5th:
Cone of Cold - You want some more, diversified offensive capability. This provides it.

4th:
Summon Monster IV - Fiendish Dire Apes, anyone?

3rd:
Dispel Magic - No wizard is worth his salt without it.

2nd:
Alter Self - Incredibly versatile
Melf's Acid Arrow - More offensive diversity. Good against spell-casters due to the continual damage.

1st:
Pick 'em. An offensive spell would be nice here, as you pretty much want some offensive capability at each spell level. You might consider Charm Person, considering you have no other enchantments.

For your equipment, make sure to get a +2 Headband of Intellect and a +2 Cloak of Resistance for a total cost of 8000 gp. Then make sure to purchase a wand of a spell that you will want to cast over and over and over. Remember that you can also spend your money to purchase a scroll of a spell you don't already know and then spend money to scribe it into your spellbook. This is an excellent way to expand your reportoire.

Vanye

Explorer
Re: Re: 9th level wizard: Which spells to take ?

Schmoe said:

5th:
Cone of Cold - You want some more, diversified offensive capability. This provides it.

For damage, this is about the only 5th level spell, but Transmute Rock to Mud is also a good one. No direct damage, but it can immobilize opponents, PLUS it allows you to make your own passages, which is an excellent ability to have in the mines surrounding the Temple of All-Consumption.

4th:
Summon Monster IV - Fiendish Dire Apes, anyone?

Another useful one, though Rainbow Pattern can be darned useful, and shadow conjuration is very flexible. Evard's black tentacles can be a good one as well...

Melf's Acid Arrow - More offensive diversity. Good against spell-casters due to the continual damage.

And good against pesky doors and stuff that you can't get through otherwise!

Acmite

First Post
Need a safe place to rest in the Temple?

Rope Trick!

This way you don't have to worry about having a safe place to rest.

I cannot recommend this enough.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads