• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A bit tired of people knocking videogames...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
And when I have demonstrated that almost every single objection you make is a lot less like common video games than prior editions are, I am going to come to a different conclusion on what you don't like. The reason to me appears to be that you are far more familiar with classic D&D tropes than you are with 4e and hit points + unlimited healing get a pass from you where limited healing does not not through any actual likeness to video games but through familiarity. Rule by rule, AD&D & 3.X are IME much more like video games than 4e - but they do not go analysed by this because they are much older. Even in terms of feel - I've hit an entire dungeon at a run in 3.X with a well made group, never stopping for more than a few seconds for someone to pull out the Wand of Cure Light Wounds*. 4e that would be stupid. Our PCs need rest.

I still have yet to state my feelings on 4e (or 3x) other than hypothetically. I'm just pointing out that the objection is feel, not specifics. You won't change that on these boards. Maybe if you could GM for them.

It's also at best the beginnings of a discussion not the end of one. At worst it's adding fuel to the edition war fires.

It can add fuel, yes. People can misuse the phrase "video-gamey." However, that speaks more about them then the actual phrase, I think. People that use any phrase to be purposefully insulting should not really ruin someone stating an honest assessment of something they dislike (logical or not), in my opinion.

We agree to agree! :)

racoffin

First Post
What puzzles me is that those that seem not to care for the word "videogamey" are saying that they don't understand the word and don't want to have to be telepathic to divine the meaning from the speaker's head.

In the next breath, they are saying that it is insulting. So you are not willing to stretch to determine what the speaker might mean, but you are willing to take the extra few seconds to be offended by it and put your spin that it is an insult?

People are going to use the term, especially now that there has been a huge battle over it. People use terms I personally don't care for all the time, but you know what? I shrug and move on to the next post and let it go.

If you are confused, ask nicely for more information, and if they aren't willing to go further move on. It isn't creating a better understanding to berate people for their supposed ignorance or insulting behavior for dozens of pages; rather, it's arguing for the sake of arguing about something that you (the collective you) think may be insulting about the game you happen to like.

And if they are insulting it, is it really hurting you? Some people just aren't going to like what you like, and that's OK! Otherwise, it'd be a boring world.

For some, like say me, you can take every point I toss out about how I may think the game in question is "videogamey" and debunk each of them, somehow proving to me that there isn't really a connection to video games, but in the end I am going to nod and say, "It looks like one of the toons out of a video game running around doing video game things to me, sorry."

And that is my right to think that. You've spoken your piece and proven everything you could, and my perception of the game isn't changed. Most, if not all of us, have been playing RPGs for many years. Some for many many many. After all those years, we have our perceptions and expectations of games, of what we like and don't like.

Even with the logic of Spock and hours of careful explaining, do you think you are going to change that, or by abolishing the term "videogamey" in favor of a term you can understand better or requesting/requiring people to spell out each and every problem that they have with the game so it can be properly dispelled that you are going to change minds?

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
This thread is now nearly 40 pages long, seems to be going nowhere, and serves as EN World's largest source of reported posts.

Thread Closed.

Reactions: Wik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads