• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A city run by Paladins...

Beelzebub

First Post
... and over-zelous Lawful Good clergy wish to completely rid their city of crime.
The problem? High taxes caused by too many policemen on the payroll is strangling the economy and creating more poverty, thus more crime.
The solution as the government sees it? Relocate all Orcs, Half-Orcs and Plane-touched, naturally.
This is a major theme surrounding the PC’s starting city and I want this political situation to be more than just flavor-text. How can I make the PCs more aware of this dysfunctional city that surrounds them?

Derrick Reeves

First Post
I don't really buy into the premise (1)(2), but, I'll take it as a given.

If you're trying to bring out the "pre-emptive justice" aspect, then I recommend that you have a Paladin lawman arrest someone (preferably an NPC the party has befriended) for "evil intent". Make it seem like there's some sort of *terrible* punishment awaiting the "criminal", but, in actual fact, only have a priest drop a Mark of Justice on them, after a fairly intensive questioning to find out the subject's likely failings.

Considering contemporary mores, the party will likely try something stupid. :D And then you can bust them as real criminals - just don't up the ante too fast, otherwise you may hit TPK or have the party exiled from a city you want them to explore.

(1) It doesn't seem likely that a Lawful Good organisation would fail to recognise that it needs to fight poverty to fight crime. There might be some deportation of unreformable criminals (probably not along racial lines, as you suggest), but they're more likely to undertake "Think Big" projects somewhere along the line of Julius Vogel - Robert Muldoon - Mao Tse Tung (depending on how competent, informed and lucky they are).

(2) Police don't exist until the industrial age. Even then, and in many places today, they only serve the interests of an elite. If the authorities only want to knock off organized crime, or crime against the elites, that won't cripple the economy. Wiping out crime altogether is possible with D&D magic - but then, how much would over-zealous Paladins and Clerics charge for their services in the cause of the Greater Good?

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Mmmm, Segregation comes to mind. Moving and breaking people up based on the rules as seen by the church. The really bad are dumped underground (out-of-sight), others become second classed, having to wear something that marks them. Demolish Man type of thing.

Minority Reportish?

How about the clergy/church use divination and other forms of predictions like a sort of "pre-crime" unit a la Minority Report. The PCs can be dragged into things when a seer sees something related to the PCs (might be right, might be wrong). Everyone can be on edge because they never know when the Seers might see a mistake in their future....

Ciao,
Sharack

Nifft

Penguin Herder
This doesn't really sound like the work of Paladins to me. More like the work of Lawful Neutral (or even Lawful Evil) elites who, due to racism, wish to oppress other races.

They may have Paladins working for them, but the Paladins better be kept in the dark about what's really going on -- and why. This gives the PCs some allies they don't expect when they finally uncover the Nefarious Plot (tm).

-- Nifft

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
A city run by Paladins is one where Poverty is not tolerated and crime rarely seen. The Organisation around the Church ensures that those in the Holy City are feed, indeed it is an obligation of all faithful to deliver an annual tithe/tribute of grain and other food stuffs to the Holy City where they are stored in huge silos and used to feed those in need. This means a whole lot of people who are well feed, loyal and bored.

The Knights-Inquisitor and the Knights-Crusader (not Paladins themselves but still agents of the Paladins Order) ensure that any kind of dissent or miscreant behaviour in the City precincts is dealt with quickly and decisively. Malefactors are removed and never seen again, more public figures are investigated on charges of heresy and rebellion against the natural order

and thats where the corruption starts...

What do the few genuine Paladins do when they learn that the Leaders of their Order are corrupt? What happens then if they are accused of Blasphemy and Heresy?

What happens when one group of Paladins following the principles of Faith and Obedience to their Order must confront another faction with blasphemous claims about the Order being corrupt?

Where do the PCs get involved in this obvious schism...?

Beelzebub

First Post
Beautiful, thanks for the suggestions!
I forgot to mention that "evil" races are already segregated away from the humans. Since they have few ways to provide for themselves, the humanoids are provided with grain and other foods from the government.
I like the minority report twist, that will be fully stolen and adapted into the game. A full fledged schism between the Paladins, the Clerics of Pholtus, and the town council? I love it, another idea to be thrown in.
Thanks again everybody! My DM's block is gone!

Remove ads