• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E A Compilation of all the Race Changes in Monsters of the Multiverse

Over on Reddit, user KingJackel went through the video leak which came out a few days ago and manually compiled a list of all the changes to races in the book. The changes are quite extensive, with only the fairy and harengon remaining unchanged. The book contains 33 races in total, compiled and updated from previous Dungeons & Dragons books...

Over on Reddit, user KingJackel went through the video leak which came out a few days ago and manually compiled a list of all the changes to races in the book. The changes are quite extensive, with only the fairy and harengon remaining unchanged. The book contains 33 races in total, compiled and updated from previous Dungeons & Dragons books.

greg-rutkowski-monsters-of-the-multiverse-1920.jpg

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Another thought occurs. If they are going to create this gaming vtt system that got hinted at last year, then the simplification of mechanics makes a great deal of sense.

Just something that wandered into my brain
This is a really good point and something I hadn't considered!

Yeah, at this point that’s what I’m expecting to see in 2024. Warlocks and monks will have the same number of spell slots/ki points at the same levels as they do now, but instead of getting them back on a short rest, they’ll get to spend an action, or 10 minutes, or something to recover them, and they’ll be able to do so a number of times equal to their proficiency bonus between long rests.
Sounds like a reasonable guess.

In mythology, nearly every nonhuman being is labeled as Fey.
In what mythology?

Making more and more things fall into this category is itself lazy writing, done primarily to give an easy reason for them not to be evil, and because Fey stuff is the new hotness.
Faerie creatures can and often are extremely evil. I think the actual effect of making Goblins fey is that it makes it easier to give them universal, essential traits

Yes, making changes that shape the moral presentation of a character option is moralizing. Whether you like the change or not is up to you.

"Funny how..." is needlessly sarcastic; the post was not talking about racial essentialism, and no one was saying this was a hill to die on -- that's all you, looking to be divisive.
Moralizing: "to reflect on or express opinions about something in terms of right and wrong, especially in a self-righteous or tiresome way."

You think wotc is being self-righteous and tiresome?

Stormonu

Legend
I'm to the point I wish all races gave benefits at 1st, 3rd, 5th and 10th level. At this rate, humans are being left behind.

Not fond of the natural weapon changes, but I kind of see the "claw" attacks going to the equivilant of attacking with both for d3/d3 (1d6 means one of the claws might not have hit without forcing two rolls). Works for simplicity, but I wish they'd done claw attacks are Light, Finesse weapons that do d3 or d4 damage.

Well, overall a big disappointment IMO--changing things that didn't need to be changed and such. Sigh... :(
I really do like short rests, but I also see why they removed them.
Putting everyone on the same recharge mechanic makes balancing adventure days a lot easier.
I would have preferred some more short rest abilities though instead of PB bonus per long rest for everything.
In our games we had both, long and short rests. And actually having too many long rests was a bigger problem.
But maybe we don't see the whole picture. Maybe short rests are still in and allow for hp recovery and maybe even recovering abilities that are set on a PB bonus per long rest basis. I mean it will be no hassle to just say: during a short rest every ability you can use PB per long rest get back one use.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Yeah, at this point that’s what I’m expecting to see in 2024. Warlocks and monks will have the same number of spell slots/ki points at the same levels as they do now, but instead of getting them back on a short rest, they’ll get to spend an action, or 10 minutes, or something to recover them, and they’ll be able to do so a number of times equal to their proficiency bonus between long rests.
See, WotC had no idea how to fix things, so they put PB/day out there, and you and the other folks brainstorm all the solutions, which they will now adopt.

hehe...

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I really do like short rests, but I also see why they removed them.
I don't have an issue with short rests vs. long rests, etc. it is more changing racial traits, every thing moves at 30 speed, etc. that is annoying as all get out to me. All these changes could have waited until a new edition or 2024 at least IMO. Putting all this stuff out there now is just garbage and filler to me, making such publications pointless.

Kurotowa

Legend
My prediction: the upcoming revision rename th long rest a "rest," and cut short rests entirely. Make HD use a purely Proficiency bonus ability and hardware the explanation or leave it to DMs to frame.
I'll lay a counter prediction. The revised classes will replace all the "PC ability recharges on a Short Rest" instances with new mechanics, but keep Short Rests for all the "Complete a task with a modest amount of downtime" requirements. That's things like spending HD to heal, attuning to magic items, certain feat abilities like Chef, basically anything where the Short Rest is the trigger condition instead of the recharge threshold. There's just too many things like that to get rid of Short Rests as a concept entirely.

In practice a lot them will look like what's done here, where you get multiple uses on a Long Rest recharge instead of one use on a Short Rest recharge. But I have no idea what they'll do with Monk and Warlock, though I very much look forward to finding out.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads