• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Couple More KotS Questions

Sir_Darien

First Post
I browsed through some of the threads and didn't find these answers. If I missed them I apologize.

1: The cleric's healing strike power has a bonus of +3 to hit, which I am assuming (perhaps erroneously) is +WIS to hit. Shouldn't he get +5 to hit (+3 from WIS and +2 from weapon prof. with a mace)?

2: This one contains minor spoilers so:
[sblock]The skeletal warriors' (pg 79) basic attack marks the target. Does this mean their speed of the dead ability only works on marked foes? Does this hold true for any creature that has a mark ability that say "see also: ability name" [/sblock]

3: Does marking do something on its own, or does there need to be an ability keyed to it? For Example:
[sblock]The kobold dragonshield's short sword attack(pg 28) marks the target. What does this mean without it saying "see also: ability x" [/sblock]

Thanks in advance to anyone with answers. Please post monster info in sblocks so that those who don't want spoilers can avoid them.

Sir_D

AntiStateQuixote

Enemy of the State
A marked creature takes a -2 penalty on any attack that does not include the creature that marked it. This is in addition to any other ability/penalty/etc. associated with a specific marking ability.

Only one mark can be applied to any creature at a time. A mark applied by creature X is canceled if creature Y later applies a mark to the same target.

Starbuck_II

First Post
Sir_Darien said:
2: This one contains minor spoilers so:
[sblock]The skeletal warriors' (pg 79) basic attack marks the target. Does this mean their speed of the dead ability only works on marked foes? Does this hold true for any creature that has a mark ability that say "see also: ability name" [/sblock]

Well:
[SBLOCK]
Skeleton's
Speed of the Dead:
When making an opportunity attack, the skeleton warrior gains a +2 bonus to the attack roll and deals an extra 1d6 damage.

It doesn't mention anything about only works on marked target. I think they just want to remind you.
[/SBLOCK]
3: Does marking do something on its own, or does there need to be an ability keyed to it? For Example:
[sblock]The kobold dragonshield's short sword attack(pg 28) marks the target. What does this mean without it saying "see also: ability x" [/sblock]
Sir_D

Marking has the same effect no matter what. You may have missed the Demo 4th edition PHB made at this site (where they picked and piece together as much info as they could). Since this isn't monster info I don't need Sblocks I guess.

Marking (whether by Fighter or monster) gives you -2 penalty to hit everyone but the person who marked you.

Example, Skeleton A marked you. You get -2 hit if attack Skeleton B, but no penalty to hit Skeleton A.

Last edited:

cthulhus_pinky

First Post
Sir_Darien said:
Thanks for the marking clarification guys. Anyone know anything about the cleric ability?

Since it is a melee weapon attack, it would seem that it uses str to attack, and be the same as the basic attack.

Dayspire

Explorer
I have no idea on the cleric ability. But I hope the OP doesn't mind if we ask other questions here? Great title name for KOTS questions... :)

[sblock]Gelatinous Cube, page 70. How do you escape the Engulf ability? [/sblock]

MindWanderer

First Post
Sir_Darien said:
1: The cleric's healing strike power has a bonus of +3 to hit, which I am assuming (perhaps erroneously) is +WIS to hit. Shouldn't he get +5 to hit (+3 from WIS and +2 from weapon prof. with a mace)?
We haven't yet seen any cleric powers that are weapon powers and based on Wisdom. The paladin has weapon-Cha powers, but so far everyone else bases their weapon powers on Str or Dex. So +1 Str, +2 prof. is correct for this attack.

Voss

First Post
Yep. The cleric powers don't seem to be in error, just fairly poor power choices dependent on a low strength. This is really the kind of cleric that should be relying on wisdom-based ranged attacks, not trying to mix it up in melee alongside the paladin and the fighter.

Remove ads