• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Couple New Demons

Land Outcast

Explorer
In addition, once per day a sorgoth can summon 1 evil dragon; the type and size of dragon is determined by a d%.

table: sorgoth dragon summoning
d% Result Color/Age
0-10 failure (no dragon summoned)
11-20 White/Adult
21-50 Black/Young Adult
51-70 Black/Adult
71-75 Green/Juvenille
76-80 Green/Young Adult
81-85 Blue/Juvenille
86-90 Blue/Young Adult
91-95 Red/Young
96-98 Red/Juvenille
99-00 Red/Young Adult

A sorgoth’s summoning abilities are the equivalent of a 9th-level spell.
I LOVE this ability, I can picture the summoning... BUT (yes, but) it reduces its ease of use, given that there's nowhere where we have dragons fully statted out for all age categories the DM whould have to stat them all out beforehand (or probably decide on which dragon will be summoned and stat only that one out).
How to solve it? not so sure...

Tentative answer:
Code:
 [U]d20[/U]    [U]Dragon[/U]
01-02   None
03-04   White Adult
05-14   Black Adult
15-16   Green Young Adult
17-18   Blue Young Adult
19-20   Red Young Adult
And stat them five in the next page.

there ARE simpler answers (only one type being the easiest), but this one is the one which keeps the most of the original idea.

Land Outcast

Explorer
I don't think I can take the anticipation anymore. WHEN IS THE BLASTED BOOK COMING OUT?!?
Well, I guess I can control myself for the time being, but I must admit I'm interested in the answer to the question. :cool:

Disclaimer: not that I will buy it (don't take it personally, 'tis more of a problem with my possibilities of buying .pdfs or any other "web product")

sdavis75

First Post
Land Outcast said:
I LOVE this ability, I can picture the summoning... BUT (yes, but) it reduces its ease of use, given that there's nowhere where we have dragons fully statted out for all age categories the DM whould have to stat them all out beforehand (or probably decide on which dragon will be summoned and stat only that one out).
How to solve it? not so sure...

Tentative answer:
Code:
 [U]d20[/U]    [U]Dragon[/U]
01-02   None
03-04   White Adult
05-14   Black Adult
15-16   Green Young Adult
17-18   Blue Young Adult
19-20   Red Young Adult
And stat them five in the next page.

there ARE simpler answers (only one type being the easiest), but this one is the one which keeps the most of the original idea.

I totally understand your point here. However, as a CR 19 monster, I don't expect DMs to throw a Sorgoth at a party as a random encounter. Confronting one of these fiends would be a major event, perhaps the climax of lengthy and involved adventure. Considering this, spending an hour or so statting these dragons in advance doesn't seem like too big of a deal. On the other hand, the idea of including in the book pre-statted dragons (maybe in an appendix) isn't a bad idea.

sdavis75

First Post
Land Outcast said:
Well, I guess I can control myself for the time being, but I must admit I'm interested in the answer to the question. :cool:

Disclaimer: not that I will buy it (don't take it personally, 'tis more of a problem with my possibilities of buying .pdfs or any other "web product")

My plan is to have the book ready to publish by summer. Initially it will be published as a PDF, but if it is received well, I intend to make it available in print.

I will of course be sending out copies of the PDF for play-testing/reviewing, so if you're interested, I'll make sure to get one to you.

Cheers!

SD

Land Outcast

Explorer
I will of course be sending out copies of the PDF for play-testing/reviewing, so if you're interested, I'll make sure to get one to you.
YAY! :D [just in case I'm on holiday when that happens: feco77 (at) gmail (dot) com]

That's awfully nice! :)

Oh, and be sure: I'll keep reviewing these two

All quarlazzes are armed with huge +3 glaives, which extend their reach by an additional 5 ft., but can also be used against adjacent foes.
Actually, reach weapons double the creatures natural reach, so the glaives would extend their reach to 20 feet from the quarlazz.​

huge +3 glaives
Being Large creatures, they'd need a special ability to wield oversized (Huge) Glaives (which deal 3d8 damage), instead they can normally wield Large Glaives (which deal 2d8 damage).​

Last edited:

Land Outcast

Explorer
Sorgoth

28 (-1 Size, +4 Dex, +15 Natural)
At CR 19, considering characters of level 17:
Pure Fighter: +17( Attack Bonus ) +7( Strength ) +1( Weapon ) +1( Weapon Focus )

+26: a normal, not special at all, non-buffed 17th level Fighter (lets not speak about clerics or barbarians...) only misses when using too much Power Attack or when rolling a "1" on the d20.

Examples:
CR 14 - Astral Deva Angel - AC 29
CR 16 - Planetar Angel - AC 32
CR 16 - Hound Archon Hero - AC 30
CR 17 - Marilith - AC 29

Well, I guess I made my point :p

And of great importance: he doesn't have a reliable way to fly -without external resources-​

Feats: Alertness, Snatch Arrows(B), Improved Initiative, Improved Unarmed Strike, Multiattack, Power Attack, Quicken Spell-Like Ability (Charm monster)
I'm not so sure I understand why the selection of IUS...​

Last edited:

sdavis75

First Post
Land Outcast said:
At CR 19, considering characters of level 17:
Pure Fighter: +17( Attack Bonus ) +7( Strength ) +1( Weapon ) +1( Weapon Focus )

+26: a normal, not special at all, non-buffed 17th level Fighter (lets not speak about clerics or barbarians...) only misses when using too much Power Attack or when rolling a "1" on the d20.

Examples:
CR 14 - Astral Deva Angel - AC 29
CR 16 - Planetar Angel - AC 32
CR 16 - Hound Archon Hero - AC 30
CR 17 - Marilith - AC 29

Well, I guess I made my point :p

And of great importance: he doesn't have a reliable way to fly -without external resources-​

I'm not so sure I understand why the selection of IUS...​

Very good catch with the AC. Frankly, when I originally started writing this particular monster, I had a lower CR in mind, but by the time I was done with his stats, CR 19 seemed appropriate. You're right, AC 28 is not high enough.

As far as the IUS, it is totally unnecessary. It was initially chosen as a prerequisite to Snatch Arrows, before I decided to make SA a bonus feat.

Thanks!

SD

sdavis75

First Post
Land Outcast said:
YAY! :D [just in case I'm on holiday when that happens: feco77 (at) gmail (dot) com]

That's awfully nice! :)

Oh, and be sure: I'll keep reviewing these two

Actually, reach weapons double the creatures natural reach, so the glaives would extend their reach to 20 feet from the quarlazz.​

Being Large creatures, they'd need a special ability to wield oversized (Huge) Glaives (which deal 3d8 damage), instead they can normally wield Large Glaives (which deal 2d8 damage).​

Another good catch here. I was thinking 3E (as opposed to 3.5E) rules here--that is, 1 size category larger than wielder = two-handed weapon. Subtle but important difference, for sure. I'll correct the damge and reach too.

Remove ads