• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A couple of Fighter Questions

Karmic_vegeance

First Post
First off:

Assume that I have hit an enemy with the Harrier's Ploy Daily power, and that I have the Combat Agility class feature. That enemy moves away from me, provoking both the Combat Agility opportunity action and the Harrier's Ploy immediate reaction. How would these two powers interact, if they interact at all? Would I be able to shift my Dex mod as an immediate reaction, then shift my Dex mod and make the Combat Agility attack, as it is still "After the enemy has completed the action [that triggered Combat Agility]? Or would the opportunity action have precedence over the immediate reaction, having been originally triggered first, even though it is not resolved until the point at which the immediate reaction would trigger?

And now that the hard part is done, an easier question: Being unarmed (or using a spiked gauntlet) obviously counts as having a hand free as defined in Martial Power 2. Does it also count as wielding two melee weapons, for the sake of Dual Strike or similar powers?

Bold or Stupid

First Post
I believe it's yes on all fronts, while the opportunity action - Combat Agilty, and the immediate reaction have the same trigger they are both in your number of allowed actions so you can use them both, I've allowed similar combos before.

Second question, also yes.

DracoSuave

First Post
First off:

Assume that I have hit an enemy with the Harrier's Ploy Daily power, and that I have the Combat Agility class feature. That enemy moves away from me, provoking both the Combat Agility opportunity action and the Harrier's Ploy immediate reaction. How would these two powers interact, if they interact at all? Would I be able to shift my Dex mod as an immediate reaction, then shift my Dex mod and make the Combat Agility attack, as it is still "After the enemy has completed the action [that triggered Combat Agility]? Or would the opportunity action have precedence over the immediate reaction, having been originally triggered first, even though it is not resolved until the point at which the immediate reaction would trigger?
The opportunity action occurs before the triggering action is completed. The immediate reaction occurs after the triggering action is completed.

As a result, you actually have to resolve Combat Agility before you resolve Harrier's Ploy.

And now that the hard part is done, an easier question: Being unarmed (or using a spiked gauntlet) obviously counts as having a hand free as defined in Martial Power 2. Does it also count as wielding two melee weapons, for the sake of Dual Strike or similar powers?

Yes.

Karmic_vegeance

First Post
The opportunity action occurs before the triggering action is completed. The immediate reaction occurs after the triggering action is completed.
Normally I'd agree wholeheartedly with this, but Combat Agility specifically states that it doesn't resolve until "After the enemy has completed the action [that triggered Combat Agility.]" I suppose it is still triggered first, so perhaps might resolve first. But the nature of the immediate reaction would then allow this:

The opponent moves 1 square away from me as part of a walking move action (any number of squares works, so long as I interrupt the movement). I use the immediate reaction from Harrier's Ploy to shift a number of squares in order to catch up/limit movement (as reactions may interrupt movement if movement triggers them). Then, when they complete the move action that triggers Combat Agility, I could use the opportunity action to shift again and attempt to catch the target and attack them.

Either that, or I could interpret the action that triggered Combat Agility as the single square of movement that triggered the opportunity action in the first place, causing Combat Agility to become a pseudo-immediate reaction, resolving immediately after the enemy takes one step out of reach. If the attack hit (knocking the enemy prone), they would stop moving, obviously. If the attack missed, I could then use the Harrier's Ploy immediate reaction later in the enemy's movement to keep up with them.

The first way is just a more mechanically complex way of combining the two actions. The second arguably makes Combat Agility just as powerful, if not more so, as Combat Superiority (and also makes the scaling shift on the power useless, so this probably isn't the intended interpretation).

As for the second question, I'm glad I wasn't going crazy. Just wanted to see whether a brawling fighter had more flexibility than I thought.

Remove ads