• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Couple of Questions

Thanee

First Post
Number 2 is a bit of a problem in the heroic d20 system, since it is next to impossible to slay someone with a single well-aimed attack, unless the target is helpless. This is one piece of realism you simply won't find here and while it is obviously some metagaming on the players' part, it's likewise frustrating if they make a reasonable action (shoot the guy to stop him cold in this case) and the bugger just receives a scratch from the arrow meant to kill him.

Bye
Thanee

Li Shenron

Legend
My personal take:

#1 - It sounds clearly ridiculous. For simplicity, D&D has many rules with a yes/no limit (e.g. the ST 24hrs after a level drain), but sometimes following those edges exactly can seriously spoil the fun of the game. I would have simply ignored the arrow's weight, or otherwise - in case it seemed that could have instead had a fun result in the specific situation - I probably would have made the effect more gradual.

#2 - Mmm... the DM could have avoided telling the players the exact result. I think it's his mistake which caused the metagaming :p

Sue Bloodbucket

First Post
Here's my twocent....

1. Well as I ran d20 for the first time I liked to bully the PC's with things like encumberance from loot and even gave them cursed items like cumbersome stone you couldn' get rid of by mundane meanings...
It was all but fun to the players so i dropt this after a couple of sessions.
In fact there are lovely and low-costing items to ensure you can carry the treasure home. I think of them as not only nessesary but essential. Give them out to the players (who themselves should be mature enough not to carry a collection of boulders just because the have a str. of 20+) and they will be happy.
I know that this an indirect answer to your question but acording to the book there is no rule for beeing downweighted by amunition (unless you carry it) so there is no such a thing.

2. Yes thats meta. No question. But: how comes? On my table (that is: our table, me in the DM-"ohrensessel") not every peasent has lvl's or HP in the firs way.
If a thing like the suggestion the player made would arise I simply would have the rouge roll for hitting (if he decites to fire the arrow).
And if the bard was anyone but my evil overlord (you shall always have one, they can come in handy from time to time) I would rule him dead or dieing.
And THEN the players will have to face the consequences! (Possible Alignment-shift, the watch or friends of the bard on their heels,...)

[The latter mentioned friends would certainly mean to tread to the PC's lives but to their future standing in the givven society.]

cheers
Sue

kenobi65

First Post
One other thought:

Yes, in 3E / 3.5, everyone has "levels", including the NPC classes (commoner, expert, etc.) But, that doesn't mean everyone is high-level. You still need 1000xp to make 2nd level, 3000xp to make 3rd, etc. IMO, farming isn't going to earn you many XPs, nor is everyday blacksmithing, so those "experienced" farmers and blacksmith are still not going to be very high-level, and still aren't going to be very good in a fight. A commoner is fairly comparable to a wizard in a fight (d4 hit dice, wizard BAB progression, no armor proficiency, proficient in one simple weapon), and an expert is fairly comparable to a rogue in a fight (d6 hit dice, rogue BAB, light armor, no shield, simple weapons) -- but without any of those PC classes' spells or special abilities that make them actually *capable* in a fight.

Even though they have "levels", they sure aren't adventurers.

Last edited:

MerakSpielman

First Post
I generally consider somebody to gain levels as they age, gaining "roleplaying" or "story" xp throughout their lives. When a Commoner/Expert/Aristocrat reaches adulthood, they are 1st level. When they reach Venerable age (for their race) they have reached 10th level. They have to have done something pretty exceptional during their lives to get a level higher than 10 in an NPC class.

As far as the unrealism of HP goes... it is perfectly easy to make the HP system more realistic. Simply don't increase PCs or NPCs hit points as they level up. They get better at what they do, but they don't mysteriously gain the ability to withstand more damage in the process. But remember, realistic isn't necessarily fun.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads