A D&D Song Competition

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I see rewordings and original songs are, at the moment, lumped together into one big category.

This gives a huge advantage to rewordings, I think, as if all other things are equal people are going to be more familiar with the pre-existing tune used for a rewording than with any original composition; and thus more likely to vote for what they know...meaning that in an otherwise even setting the original songs haven't got a chance.

I'd suggest splitting them out.

Disclaimer: at the moment we're planning on entering one of each.

Lanefan

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I see rewordings and original songs are, at the moment, lumped together into one big category.

I'd suggest splitting them out.

We will split them if we get more than, like, 2 entries in each. We don't know how many we'll get, so we're just reserving the right to split 'em right now. Ideally I'd like to see at least 5 entries in each, but we'll see. I really want to split them out, but a category with 1 entry would be silly. :)

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
We will split them if we get more than, like, 2 entries in each. We don't know how many we'll get, so we're just reserving the right to split 'em right now. Ideally I'd like to see at least 5 entries in each, but we'll see. I really want to split them out, but a category with 1 entry would be silly. :)
OK, sounds good.

I'll be surprised if there aren't quite a few rewording entries, not sure how many original songs you'll get but I know you're (99% likely) getting one. :)

Lanefan

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
A question for [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] or maybe [MENTION=19675]Dannyalcatraz[/MENTION] - for a rewording, is using a karaoke version of the original song (i.e. the original artist's instrumentation and actual playing) with my vocals and words any problem as per copyright?

Lanefan

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I don't believe so.

But to clarify: you'd be in exactly the same position as a rapper who samples a song. You need to be clear with your credits, but beyond that?

Let's be honest- the odds against any performer coming after you is slim because 1) the contest is incredibly low profile and 2) it's a form of parody (see Weird Al Yankovic's career) and few performers bother with lawsuits challenging that.

Last edited:

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Let's be honest- the odds against any performer coming after you is slim because 1) the contest is incredibly low profile and 2) it's a form of parody (see Weird Al Yankovic's career) and few performers bother with lawsuits challenging that.

Parody has some specific protection in copyright law. And as Dannyalcatraz says this contest is incredibly low profile and there's almost no chance anyone will notice.

I might have to dig up and rewrite some old filks.

I'm trying to think of something to reference the Perturbed Dragon directly.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Just a note/reminder - there's now only a week left to get your entries in! Don't miss the deadline!

Gulla

Adventurer
I never got the time to submit my song (who knew the final stages of building a new house would be so busy ;) ) so when I saw the #HobbitSoundtrack on twitter this morning and suddenly had some lyrics I think this is a good place as any to post it. Anyone with band and proper voice feel like recording? (I think the video should be easy to script)

---

We all came out to Lake Town,
riding barrels all way down
On the way to Lonely Mountain
We didn't have much time.
The Master of the Lake Town,
had the best food all around,
But a burglar with a magic ring
Made the place burn to the ground.
Smaug on the water and fire in the sky.
Smaug on the water...

The dragon burned the Lake Town
It died with an awful sound.
Brave Bard, last son of Girion
shot the lizzard to the ground
When it all was over,
the Dragon rested in the lake
But the dwarves' time was running out,
as armies rushed to stake their claim
Smaug on the water...

It ended in a battle
On the Montain cold and bare
Where the King under the Mountain
could at last be home again
But the Arkenstone of Thorin
had a high and final cost
as the King under the Mountan
got it when his life was lost
Smaug on the water...

---
PS to get the rhythm right you need two syllables in " dwarves' " in the second verse, which I hope is within the poetic license...

Mary_Crowell

First Post
I just found this thread after doing a search on 'bard' for my campaign! It is so cool to read this thread and seeing the origins of the Battle of the Bards competition I think Battle of the Bards was an excellent title choice, but I have to admit I liked [MENTION=8835]Janx[/MENTION]'s bad mother filker. :D

It didn't get discussed further in this thread, but why did the competition not actually end up being divided up into parody and original song? Were there not enough parodies?

Remove ads