• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Dawnforge Legend Storyhour (Chapter 7 started on May 27th)

Tokiwong

First Post
Chapter 7 - Part 3

“So what do you think, I mean it isn’t magical like your rapier, but it is finely crafted and of dwarf manufacture!” Dais marveled as he rested his hand on the pommel of his new masterwork blade.

Osan nodded his face shrouded by his large whicker conical hat. He could barely suppress a smile at his companion’s joy. But there was something in the air, a tingle of something vaguely familiar, something dark… something that hinted at the periphery of his conscious. The cold vacuum of evil, a familiar if nauseating sensation seemed to fill the large parlor.

“That was really nice of Captain Fletcher to give up his enchanted blade to you,” Dais gestured to Ayala as she paced about the room admiring the various artifacts about the room. The chamber was rectangular in shape and at the center was a fire pit, circled by smoothly cut stone dais. Divans and sofas circled the fire pit, and the roof of the structure was made of glass allowing light to naturally filter into the chamber, lighting the whole room. The heady smell of cinnamon incense filled the room and a cool breeze kept the room quite comfortable and pleasing. The ambient buzz of magic was readily apparent in the chamber.

“Why he had no use for it anymore, he is dead, and I am still very much apart of the living,” she replied with a generous smile.

“Well of course, but I mean, it is an honor, right?” the lowlander questioned.

“I doubt she sees it as an honor, Dais,” Osan interrupted, “by right the blade is hers, she claimed it. The privateer’s spirit has no claim to it, but it was a nice gesture, I will agree.”

“Okay,” Dais replies somewhat confused, but shrugs it off.

“Dais you worry about the stupidest things,” Ayala whispered dancing her fingers over his muscular shoulder, “and yes I do like your sword,” she said with a flick of her tongue.

Dais smiled awkwardly, unsure of what to say. Thankfully the moment was interrupted by the doors to the large chamber opening, as a tall gaunt man with graying hair standing in the doorway. His steel gray eyes scanned the room in a casual glance as he walked into the chamber, his footsteps echoing off the marble floor as he walked into the room, a gray rat resting on his shoulder. Draped over his shoulders was a crimson cape, immaculately placed over his silken black shirt. A gold chain holding a red jewel, hung over his neck across his chest. His black trousers were equally fine and well made and were snugly worked into his polished boots, a delicate shine gleaming back at the trio.

The man bowed his head, spreading his palms in a show of faith, as he raised his head he spoke, “The Green Man bless your travels. Welcome Captain Celeste, I am pleased to see that you are well; I heard that your journey ran longer then expected. Was their trouble?”

“Not at all Percival, bad weather, and a green crew, but nothing I would clarify as trouble. But thankfully my competent First Mate,” she gestured to Dais, “learned quickly and was quite helpful in getting your cargo here intact.”

Percival turned his gaze to Dais, “Does this competent First Mate have a name?”

“Dais, son of Hunder of Ironwall, most honored one,” the young lowlander bowed.

“Honored one?” Ayala said aloud.

“He is a member of the Panthic Order, Captain,” Osan spoke from behind his obscuring wicker hat.

“Indeed I am,” Percival smiled at the tiefling’s comment, “I am a simple keeper of Lore and sage. Although I practice the art, my focus is that of knowledge and academics. But I ramble on about my own affairs. Dais, son of Hunder, child of Ironwall I am honored as well. Hunder’s exploits are well known to me.”

“You know my father?” Dais whispered in surprise.

“No, but I know of your father, of his exploits with the Griffon Company. He was the wielder of Light’s Fang, a powerful enchanted blade created to protect the lands of Anderland. I am surprised you did not know, lad,” the gentle wizard responded as he took a seat on a comfortable and plush divan.

“How do we even know that we are talking about the same Hunder?” Ayala rolled her eyes.

“Because this Hunder has two sons, Baile and Dais, and I am well acquainted with the elder of the two. He has made the quite name for himself in the north in the service of Griffon Company. I always wondered when the second son of this hero would set out on his own journey, and here he is before me. But it is no surprise that perhaps you do not know much of your father’s exploits. He retired from the Griffon Company years ago, and settled down outside of Ironwall last I had heard, trying to escape the legend he had become,” the wizard spoke.

“You seem to know much about my family, Honored One…”

“I am a student of history and lore, son of Hunder. I make it a point to study the great men and women of our age. Your father was a great man, and his legend whether he likes it or not, will live on. By that token I find it amusing that both of his son’s have taken up the sword and both seem bent on carving out their own names in the annals of history. But how shall the world remember you, son of Hunder? As a simple sword for hire, as a boy living in his father’s shadow, or as a legend?” Percival questioned.

“I don’t know…” Dais said weakly, “Why does it matter?”

“I see,” the wizard said sharply.

Ayala sighed, “Perhaps we can get down to business and speak of destiny another time, Percival?”

“Why of course,” the wizard’s eyes focused on Ayala, “what I promised I shall deliver with an extra bonus for your discretion.”

“That is much appreciated Percival, if you ever have need of a courier, remember that the Radical Dream is the swiftest ship on the sea. I hope to do business with you in the future, Honored One,” she bowed.

“I look forward to enlisting your services Captain Celeste, well then now that we have business settled, perhaps son of Hunder you could spare a moment to indulge me a few words?” Percival reclined on his divan making himself quite comfortable, as his rat scurried about on the floor.

He waved off Osan and Ayala, “I would prefer to speak to your first mate alone good Captain, my servants outside will pay you, as we have discussed. You are both excused.”

Ayala gave Osan a concerned look, but the stoic monk simply shrugged and walked to the door. Ayala opened her mouth for a moment and then just followed, giving a second glance over her shoulder to Dais as he watched his companions go, and then turned his attention to Percival.

Once the door closed behind Ayala, Percival spoke, “So tell me, how is your father these days, son of Hunder?”

“He is well Honored One, he spends his days in the fields working the land, as his father did before him, and his father did before him. He never seems to complain, despite the long and grueling hours he spends in the fields. Perhaps he wishes to escape the nagging of my mother,” he laughs weakly, “but he works hard, and worked my brother and I as well.”

“So the great Hunder has become a simple farmer, a far cry from the hero of the war of the Goblin Marches. His very name and sword struck fear into the hearts of the black creatures, and the giant skalds speak highly of his bloody campaigns against them. Despite being a hated foe, he earned their respect and many I believe still mourn that nary a hero has reached his status that would b worth facing in combat. Though your brother, Baile has gained in notoriety of late,” Percival replied smoothly.

“Aye, he has joined the Griffon Company,” Dais spoke in apparent reverence for his brother, “they say he is a terror to the forces of the Winter Wolf. I pray that the spirits of Anderland guide him to glory, if I am half the man my brother is, I will be happy.”

Percival rose in a smooth motion, “It seems you have not embraced your destiny, son of Hunder.”

“Destiny?”

“The winds of fate tug at the lowliest of things, some in gentle nudges, others with gale like force. Your bloodline is destined for great things; be it ill, or for good, you have the forces of destiny written upon your soul,” Percival explained with a wave of his hand.

“For ill?” Dais shook his head no, “like evil? Never, if I have a destiny, that destiny will be one serving the good.”

“Indeed, I did not mean to presume that you would do ill, just that the possibility exists as it does for every man. Indeed, your father would be proud. Even if he wished for you to serve your life as a simple farmer or soldier, the winds of destiny have called you to a loftier path, son of Hunder,” the wizard clasped his hand on Dais’ shoulder.

“Thank you Honored One.”

“I have a feeling we will have meet again, and I hope by then you have an answer to my earlier question,” Percival walked towards the door of the chamber, Dais following in his footsteps, “all men make choices, son of Hunder, it is those choices that determine the legacy we shall leave.”

Tokiwong

First Post
Chapter 7 - Part 4

“So where is Dais?” Lain questioned as both Osan and Ayala sank into their respective chairs.

“We left him with a druid of the Panthic Order, he should be fine,” Ayala shrugged, “why does it matter to you, doesn’t he annoy you?”

“Sure, but you can’t leave Dais alone in the big city, he is liable to get himself killed with his naiveté. If you had not noticed, he isn’t exactly sophisticated,” the night elf folded her arms across her bosom.

“He is fine, give the man some credit, has it ever occurred to you that he may just be able to handle himself without your help?” Ayala replied as she casually admired her enchanted blade. She turned to Captain Fletcher’s spirit, “Besides we have other business to attend to. Like returning that Eye to its rightful owners.”

Captain Fletcher smiled broadly, “Now that sounds like a right, proper course of action mates.”

Osan simply nodded.

Thane turned to Lain and shrugged, “I guess Dais can take care of himself, we should really try and find this temple of the Old Man of the Sea and return the Eye. We had an accord, and I would feel much better to have this spirit on its way to its proper reward, whatever that may be,” he finished dubiously.

Lain was already walking to the door, “I am going to find Dais, meet you guys at the temple. I just… I got a feeling that something isn’t right, I need to find him.” With a wink to Thane she left the room, as the door closed quietly behind her exit.

Osan nodded, “For all the beauty of this city, there is a rotting cancer, a palpable force of evil festering in this city.”

“I reckon you would be quite acquainted with evil, tiefling,” Thane blurted out.

“I know evil, I have looked into the very eyes of the creatures of the pit. I have felt the miasma of wickedness wash over my soul, seep into every pour, and corrupt the most pure of things. I know evil, Thane,” the monk replied his face hidden under the brim of his conical whicker hat.

Thane listened and nodded, with a visible shiver. Ayala spoke up, “Enough, I don’t care about evil, or cancer or whatever. Lets go to this temple and see if we can’t get a reward for returning their precious stone. The sooner we get this done, the sooner I can drown my sorrows in stiff drinks.”

“But that is not the way a proper lady-” Thane tried to say.

“Pike it, this lady likes her whiskey,” she says walking out the door.

Tokiwong

First Post
Chapter 7 - Part 5

Dais sat on a low stone bench, a throng of humanity passing in front of the lowlander as he worked slowly at his sketches of the beautiful city-state of Ebernath. The ivory towers ringing the city and the ancient trees that loomed over the domed and cleanly cut buildings, created a skyline that was unlike anything the young soldier had seen in all of his life.

Seagarden was a city of beauty, but Ebernath was simply another level of pristine perfection. Even the apple he was feasting on, was sweeter and plumper then any he had ever tasted, or at least could remember. The land was healthy, the city was both a work of architectural mastery, and natural wonder, and the people seemed to mirror the grand sight all around them. The city was a paradise of colors, of sights, and scent that tickled and teased the various senses like a fickle lover.

“Sketching, sketching, sketching. Always sketching, its like an obsession with you.”

“Hello Lain,” Dais said not even looking up, “why am I not surprised to see you.”

She kicked her foot onto the bench and leaned forward on the raised leg, “You are not surprised to see me?”

“Not really, I figured you would show up here, sooner then later. It isn’t like I could hide from you, not that I was trying; it’s just nice to be alone every now and then, away from the constant chatter. To think, and to sketch.”

Lain stepped up onto the bench in on easy motion and stretched with a cat-like yawn, “The constant chatter?” she gave Dais an incredulous look, “are you trying to say, that we annoy you?”

“No.”

“Then what are you saying?” she questioned.

“I am saying that sometimes I enjoy thinking, I may not be as smart as a night elf, but I like to think too. Sometimes I have much to think about. It’s not like you like to listen, unless you’re trying to insult me. Which can be fun, and other times not so much,” the young ex-soldier shrugged.

“Oh boo-hoo,” she crouched down meeting his eyes, “cry me a river. You think I frustrate you, well get a clue there human, you are not exactly easy to understand, or put up with.”

“Oh?”

“See now you’re playing dumb,” she threw up her hands in exasperation, “this is exactly what I am talking about. What does she see in you anyways?”

“Are you trying to say I am not good enough for her?”

“No,” Lain sighed, she bit back her words, “it’s not that at all. If anything she isn’t good enough for you, she is much too selfish for her own good. We night elves have a saying, ‘that one should live first for their chosen heart, and second for their given heart’. It means that when you choose your partner, you live for them first, they come first in all things, and your own needs become secondary.”

“I like that,” Dais smiled broadly, “do you believe it?”

“My mother and father believe, and they have been bonded partners for over a century of your human years. So maybe I believe in that too…” she trailed off.

“Well Lain, I am sure that you will find your given heart, and I hope you have better luck then me. Ayala is not my kind of woman despite her beauty, she is just well, selfish like you said. That was one of the things I was thinking about,” he mused aloud.

“Really?”

Dais nodded in reply, “So speaking of her, where is she?”

“Oh, I almost forgot they went to the temple of the Old Man of the Sea to return that Eye we found,” she sighed, “another priceless artifact slips through my grasp. I am beginning to think this is the start of a disturbing trend.”

“Well we better get going,” he stood, “I would not want to miss that, I am sure Captain Fletcher would be most grateful for our help.”

Lain cracked a wry grin, already forgetting the bad feeling she had felt in the pit of her stomach. A wave of relief flooded her, as she walked and talked with Dais on the way to the temple. Despite the frustration, somewhere deep inside, the naïve lowlander was beginning to grow on the night elf, perhaps more then she had earlier realized.

Remove ads