• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Defense of Miko

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Shojo told her "...try hard to bring them back alive...". So what is the first thing she says to them? "You have been charged with crimes to which the only possible sentence is death." No explanation of what crimes, who she is, what authority she represents. Then she refuses to hear them out, and decides to carry out the sentence she herself decides to make then and there. During the battle the OotS keep trying to talk to her, but it never occurs to her why an evil party would waste time doing that instead of trying to kill her. After the battle she suddenly falls back to "Your guilt or innocence is not for me to determine".

That's not lawful-stupid. That's crazy-arrogant. Your regular paladin would have identified herself, her organization, her mission and would have listened to their side before doing anything. All Miko does is say "surrender or die" and then attacks when they start talking. And what's with "I will see you lawfully executed"? What's lawful about making up your own rules on the fly? Miko is a female Belkar, except Belkar with wisdom was actually good.

Ozmar

First Post
TarionzCousin said:
Miko "A paladin never compromises."
Roy "Does a paladin ever remove the stick from their ass?"
Miko "No. It's a class feature."

Okay, that is rather funny.

Yes, that's my favorite. I laughed for hours at that one.

I think my second favorite is:

"You have not eaten your morning meal yet. It would be dishonorable to fight a foe who has not had the chance to load up on carbs."

Miko works best as the "straight man". Most of her humor comes from other people reacting to her outrageous personality.

Ozmar the Honorable

Ok, Miko was a pompous, arrogant, egotistical, possibly racist, sadistic, one-side, shallow, unimaginative, umpromising bitch. She was wrong, she was misguided and frankly, she needs to lay off the caffine a bit :), and has been stated elsewhere, she is the proto-typical "lawful-stupid" pally.

But all that being said, I still hate to see her go. She was by far the best 'straight man' this comic has seen. Belkar and Thog get love for the slapstick, potty humor. Elan and Nale are not that different from each ther, they both play the foil and drop the odd quip in the wrong place. Xyklon, The shadow thingy, the cockroaches, Haley, Durko, V, Sabine, and until death Pompey were all the one-line, hit where it hurts character based humorists.

Redcloak (now), Roy and Miko were the only characters with any depth and capable of setting up for hillarity while still popping off the occasional zinger - two of them are dead and one was REALLLLLLLY close. Evidentally, in Rich's campaign, depth equals target. But it doesn't change the fact that the strip is both funny and thought provoking. Hinjo had better be looking at mausoleums; his comedy leaves a bit to be desired, can death be too far off?

Farewell Miko, regardless of what people say, we'll miss you. #(

Nahat Anoj

First Post
I am somewhat sorry to see Miko go as well. The idea of multiclassing monk/paladin sounds delightfully cheesey (even if it's not so cheesey in practice), and I thought her holier than thou attitude was pretty funny. Obviously, there are legions of OotS fans who believe otherwise :)

Hussar

Legend
Jonathan Moyer said:
I am somewhat sorry to see Miko go as well. The idea of multiclassing monk/paladin sounds delightfully cheesey (even if it's not so cheesey in practice), and I thought her holier than thou attitude was pretty funny. Obviously, there are legions of OotS fans who believe otherwise :)

Amusingly enough, the longest lived character in my World's Largest Dungeon campaign was a multiclassed monk/paladin/Pious Templar. Wimpiest thing in the world in combat, but, could walk through anything that allowed a saving throw.

Side note- a truly funny moment in the campaign was when said uber-save character rolled a 1 against Stinking Cloud cast by a dretch. :D

Put me in the sad to see Miko go camp. If nothing else, no other character used up as much bandwidth in discussion forums. ;)

Remove ads