• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Different Kind of Druid

BAW

First Post
I'm aiming for a more elemental feel and a connection to the 4 elements (no sonic) than to nature. So here's my stab at it:

This is based on the druid, arguments go that this is one of the most powerful classes. See if you think the same of this.

Alignment: Same restrictions
BAB: Intermediate
Hitdice: d8
Feats: Simple Weapons, Light Armour
Skill points: 4 + Int
Class Skills: Alchemy (Int), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str)
Spells per day: Druid (Wisdom based caster-divine)
Saves: Good; Fort & Will

Special Abilities
Level 5 Spontaneous Summon Monster

Elemental Shape-I'm going to state this ability explicitly rather than use wildshape. Simply take these things from the stat block in the monsterous manual for the appropriate size elemental:
It's Size, Speed, Str, Dex, Con (no extra hp though), Reach, Natural Armour, All Attacks (inc. Special) and feats.
The ability is like polymorph for dealing with equipment effects.
While using this ability you cannot use hand-held items.
Duration: 10 Minutes/Level
You can speak in this form but not cast spells with a somatic component.

It does follow the wildshape progression for no. of times per day.
Beginning at 5th: size Medium or smaller
9th: Large
15th: Huge
20th: Elder

Spells (Just from the PHB):
1 level
Magic Stone, Produce Flame, Endure Elements, Obscuring Mist, Shocking Grasp, Burning Hands
2 level
Acid Arrow, Resist Energy, Flame Blade, Soften Earth & Stone, Fog Cloud, Chill/Heat Metal, Flaming Sphere, Whispering Wind, Wind Wall
3 level
Continual Flame, Meld into Stone, Protection from Energy, Stone Shape, Quench, Water Breathing, Water Walk, Gaseous Form, Summon Monster III (Elemental only)
4 level
Air Walk, Control Water, Spike Stones, Wall of Fire, Fireball, Lightning Bolt, Fire Trap, Wall of Ice, Stone Sculpt, Dispel Magic
5 level
Wall of Stone, Control Winds, Fire Shield, Ice Storm, Transmute Rock to Mud/Mud to Rock, Flesh to Stone, Stone to Flesh, Summon Monster V (Elemental only)
6 level
Greater Dispel Magic, Wind Walk, Chain Lightning, Stoneskin, Fire Seeds, Cone of Cold, Move Earth, Summon Monster VI (Elemental only)
7 level
Control Weather, Earthquake, Delayed Fire Blast, Delayed Fireblast, Statue, Firestorm, Acid Fog, Summon Monster VII (Elemental only)
8 level
Incendiary Cloud, Whirlwind, Horrid Wilting, Repel Stone, Polar Ray, Summon Monster VIII (Elemental only)
9 level
Elemental Swarm, Storm of Vengeance, Meteor Storm, Summon Monster IX (Elemental Only),

Thanks if you've reached the bottom of this, well done! I'm very curious to read what people think of this.
Please Comment! Any and all criticism/advice is welcome.

Merlion

First Post
this reminds me a lot of my Elementalist , except based on the Druid rather than the Sorcerer. I wouldnt call this a Druid, since it deals only with elements.

Its hard to say about this. The spell list is very very sparse (always a problem with elementalist types). I would add every element or energy related spell in the PH, at its lowest existing level (fireball at 3rd, Stoneskin 4th etc).

I would also let the Elemental Shape work pretty much like a Druids elemental wild shape, especially since with a 10 minute/level duration its mainly going to be a combat ability.

As it is, it seems like this class would end up being a nuking, then wading into melee in elemental form sort of class. I'm not sure if thats what you were going for or not.

Your class has better HD, saves and BAB than my Elementalist....so it seems like thats probably how it would go.

I'd replace spontaneous SNA with something else. Not all of the spells can actually summon elementals...i gave my Elementalist an Elemental Companion ability, perhaps something like that would fit better.

Its got a good deal of power, but it lacks much versatility, with such a limited spell list. It can be good at melee too but only to a point. I'd probably suggest throwing in some more magical, elemental maniplation-y sort of abilities.

And of course writting up a broader range of elemental spells never hurts in this case.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads