• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

a different kind of druid

corcio

First Post
well ive run into the problem that every druid faces somehow. I dont want to be a hippie tree hugger. ive decided that im just a man in tune with the natural powers of the world. how would i roleplay this....how do i explain the fact that if i put on metal armor i lose my powers....is there some explanantion i can give? i want to fit into town etc etc.

Liquidsabre

Explorer
The metal one wears interrupts the natural flow of energy in the world, disrupts your natural attunement with it, and disables your ability to harness the natural energies to cast spells for a short period of time.

Wolfwood2

Explorer
corcio said:
well ive run into the problem that every druid faces somehow. I dont want to be a hippie tree hugger. ive decided that im just a man in tune with the natural powers of the world. how would i roleplay this....how do i explain the fact that if i put on metal armor i lose my powers....is there some explanantion i can give? i want to fit into town etc etc.

I tend to prefer playing high-intelligence druids who are naturalists that study the wilderness, publish papers on new species of plants and animals, and enjoy brewing tea for visitors.

As for the armor thing, it's magic.

irdeggman

First Post
Metal is manufactured and thus not a part of the natural world.

Role-playing, I would extend this behavior to any type of metal - including normally allowed weapons. The mechanic reasons that armor has that effect and weapons don't would be the amount of material involved, IMO.

Vegepygmy

First Post
corcio said:
how do i explain the fact that if i put on metal armor i lose my powers....
Why bother explaining it at all? Just "choose not to" wear metal armor because "that's what city-bred soldier types do" (or "it gives me an awful rash"), and the issue should never even come up!

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
corcio said:

if your all about being 'just a man in tune with nature' your biggest problem isn't going to be metal armour is going to be explaining how being 'in tune' translates to turning you into a Wildshaping fiend. "Dude I'm so in tune with nature that I can transform into a Huge blazing Fire Elemental and call down a Storm of Vegeance from above!!!"

To avoid the Treehugger I'd go for the Storm/Savage Hunter motif myself - nature is cruel and the weak die. Thats what being in tune means bud, deal with it :uhoh: .

smootrk

First Post
Not sure if it helps, but I have modified the Archivist Class from the Heroes of Horror book to create a druidic based version. It certainly makes a different kind of nature dude than the standard druid class does. You can access it from my signature.

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
Tonguez said:
To avoid the Treehugger I'd go for the Storm/Savage Hunter motif myself - nature is cruel and the weak die. Thats what being in tune means bud, deal with it :uhoh: .

Even better, adopting this attitude generally means that treehuggers will avoid you. Saved me a lot of irritation in high school.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads