• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General A different style of medieval fantasy game?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
So, we are starting a Shadowrun (2E) game and I was wondering if anyone knows of a D&D/medieval game which is not level-based, but allows more customization to build your character?

For example, in Shadowrun (2E anyway) your choice of skills really defines what you can do in many way, and you spend good karma points to improve your ability scores (attributes), skills, etc.

I am looking for a medieval fantasy game more in this spirit. Thanks for any info! :)

hutchback

Explorer
More low-fantasy than high-fantasy, grittier, a bit complex but not totally rules-heavy.

Getting away from hit points of any kind, but more a system with soaking damage. Spells would revolve resisting the effects of channeling the magic instead of just "you can cast X number of spells per day" or something.

More heroic than superheroic.

EDIT: I also like the versatility of Vampire with making dice pool rolls a combination of attribute + skill/knowledge/talent because it encourages all sorts of combinations.

Does that help?

I'll look into SW and SJG DF (I played GURPS back in the 80's, but it might fit).
Honestly FFG's Realms of Terrinoth hits most of these points.

It's not a gritty setting out of the box, but I see no reason why it couldn't be.

You have a wound threshold which is similar to HP, but there is damage soak. Spells cost strain to cast and can literally blow up in your face.

PC's have special heroic actions.

It is dice pool based Characteristic + Skill

There is a shadowrun conversion of the system as well Shadowrun - Paul M N Haakonsen

Savage Worlds Adventure Edition plus the Fantasy Companion would work. Your game would be very pulpy and like an action movie. If you're super in to perfect math, SW has a minor math bug in exploding dice in that it's easier to roll an 8 on an exploding d6 instead of a d8. It's not really that big of a deal but I know some people who are seriously bothered by it. You can "fix" it by subtracting 1 from any exploding die roll, but that kind of spoils the elegance.

Modiphius Conan 2d20 is pretty decent as well. It's also without levels and has progress linked to talents (feats). Magic is extremely dangerous, as you might expect. This is a decent system where early on you get a bunch of feat-like abilities, but the rulebooks are a little poorly organized and the magic system is really, really unclear. There are some online resources to help, but it's not the easiest game to pick up. This system encourages working together to build up overwhelming momentum to overcome obstacles. It's definitely grim & gritty.

I've heard extremely high praise from early adopters of the brand new Talisman Adventures Fantasy Roleplaying Game, although I know nothing about it beyond that. It may be level-based, but something early on led me to believe otherwise. This game system released literally yesterday.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Modos Role-Playing Game. Just a little thing I wrote. Per your requirements:

For example, in Shadowrun (2E anyway) your choice of skills really defines what you can do in many way, and you spend good karma points to improve your ability scores (attributes), skills, etc.

More low-fantasy than high-fantasy, grittier, a bit complex but not totally rules-heavy.

Getting away from hit points of any kind, but more a system with soaking damage. Spells would revolve resisting the effects of channeling the magic instead of just "you can cast X number of spells per day" or something.

EDIT: I also like the versatility of Vampire with making dice pool rolls a combination of attribute + skill/knowledge/talent because it encourages all sorts of combinations.

More heroic than superheroic, low fantasy: the GM sets the bar with the Campaign Theme, because all contests (action resolution rolls) are based on qualitative, campaign-specific terms, like average, impossible, and divine.

Skills define what you can do: having skill points gives you a rating, like amateur, expert, or mythic. If you have enough skill points (and some imagination), you can do it. If you don't, you can try rolling for it. There aren't classes or tables that determine what you can or can't do.

Complex but not rules-heavy: fast-play rules take up one sheet, and the full rule-set takes up five pages. Playing is easy, but mastery is hard. For example, any PC can pick up a bow and shoot a target. But shooting an engineer before he looses a mangonel, at 200 yards, while you're in a melee on a parapet - that might require a confluence of the right perk, skill points, hero point earning and usage, posture choice, action timing, and description of the situation to the GM to earn the best Difficulty bonus.

Spells per Day: casting spells requires metaphysical health, not spell slots. It's similar to spell points, and these can be recovered at an hourly rate. The GM can treat this like ill side-effects, and allow an alternate recovery rate as appropriate.

Hit points/soaking damage: assuming you mean something like Zweihaender, in which characters move along a health-track. A quick house-rule for this might be, "characters have a health box for every 4 full points of Physical score. Whenever an opponent's damage exceeds your protection roll, mark a health box as Wounded."

Vampire Dice Pools: the rules are presented in five-page catalog format (and explained in full-book format) in order to facilitate modifying them. You could use a custom Skills List that was a list of personality traits, and let PCs choose which trait to apply to the attribute contest in question. Or you could let each skill point in the default skill list represent a die type, from d4 - d12. The modular format also allows you to ditch the Combat and Magic rules or make your own modules for these, as crunchy as you like.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Thanks all for you input. If you think of more add them to the list. I won't have time until this weekend to begin researching all your wonderful suggestions, but since I'm not playing this weekend, I'll have the time. :)

Sir Brennen

Legend

Does that help?

I'll look into SW and SJG DF (I played GURPS back in the 80's, but it might fit).
Okay, with the added criteria, I'll pitch The Fantasy Trip (TFT) again. Disclaimer: I played this when it first came out in the late 70's, and still play the latest version, so I have a certain nostalgic soft spot for the game.

A bit of background first: TFT was sort of the predecessor to GURPS, as it was also written by Steve Jackson, but he didn't have the rights to it when he left Metagaming to form his own company, and so he created GURPS instead.

TFT started off as a pair of "arena duel" games, Melee and Wizard, which were part of Metagaming's Microgames line. Then In The Labyrinth was published as a full RPG, combining the two microgames' rules and adding more non-combat magic, monsters and items, plus setting material. Not entirely dissimilar to D&D's original white box sets getting the full Advanced D&D books.

Steve Jackson just got the rights back to the TFT material a couple years ago, and have not only published a revised edition of all the TFT games - Melee, Wizard and In The Labyrinth - but have already put out a ton of

TFT isn't nearly as rules heavy as GURPS, but it's got some crunch to it. Melee was originally written as a response to AD&D's combat system, which Jackson found to be static and not terribly realistic. So Melee (and TFT overall) has a bit more strategic element to it.

The system is a simple roll 3d6 under a target number. Very low and high rolls can result in critical success or misses. Difficult tasks might require rolling 4 or 5d6.

Characters have only 3 attributes:
  • STR: basically hit points and fatigue reserve for casting spells. Also determines what weapons you can wield and armor you can wear.
  • DEX: your chance to hit with weapons, or successfully cast a spell.
  • INT: determines both the number and complexity of the Spells and Talents you can know.
Given average STR is around 10 for humans, and an median weapon like a broadsword does 2d6 damage, combat can get fairly deadly. Especially since it's pretty old school and anything below zero STR = dead. Armor does absorb some damage, and as PCs progress, magic can tilt the odds in their favor, but still, characters have to be cautious. A normal wolf can still be dangerous to even an experienced PC, so the game definitely falls more on the heroic side of the heroic vs super-heroic scale.

There is no healing magic (other than expensive potions that only heal a STR point at a time.)

(In my own game, I've adapted the 5E Death Save rules to TFT, to mitigate character death somewhat.)

Talents are somewhere between skills and feats, and help define characters. There are no classes in TFT, beyond you're either a wizard or not, but certain talents let you assume a role similar to D&D classes. Non-wizards can still learn spells, but it costs more to do so. It costs Wizards more to learn non-wizardy talents, but they can do that as well.

For example, you can learn the Knife and Sword talents to effectively wield them in combat, and you can also learn the Woodsman talent, which gives you a few basic abilities you might associate with a "realistic" ranger. As you progress, you could learn a dual-weapon talent, and even pick up a spell, and you're even closer to a D&D ranger. Or you could go a completely different route and learn Alchemy.

If you want to check out the core combat mechanics, the PDF for Melee is available for free on the SJG site. If nothing else, Melee and Wizard can be fun for just playing arena duels when not everyone can show up for the regular campaign, whatever you're running.

Remove ads