A discussion of metagame concepts in game design

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
The issue is that in game terms, saying something is magical has specific meaning, and it doesn't mean a rock, though it might mean a Roc. Some of us like to not have terms muddled into uselessness, and a claim that the entire D&D universe is magical does just that.

Yes, I would agree that the game term for magical has a specific meaning.

However nothing in a DnD game makes sense if there is not an intrinsic magic to the world. It would be like arguing that there is no energy in a rock even though Einstein already proved that there is.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Yes, I would agree that the game term for magical has a specific meaning.

However nothing in a DnD game makes sense if there is not an intrinsic magic to the world. It would be like arguing that there is no energy in a rock even though Einstein already proved that there is.

That energy doesn't have to be magic, though. I'm fine with there being "The Force" and calling that magic. It flows through everything and binds it, without making what it flows through and binds magical. Luke did just fine levitating inanimate objects and bending minds of mundane people. You can have lots of magic present pretty much everywhere, and things that are magic, without the entire universe being magic.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Not everything that is supernatural has to be magic
Yea, if you're using "magic" to mean a subset of supernatural effects, then we're talking right past each other. It feels more like you're talking about a "mana" or "quintessence" concept.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Sure it can!

Just make "magic" a fifth universal force (to go with gravity, electromagnetic, weak, and strong) that some lifeforms in some places can access and shape and you're good to rock!

My entire D&D physics concept is based on this simple premise.

Lanefan
I have a difficulty picturing a universal force that's also localized, but more power to you if it makes your cosmology feel cohesive.

Sadras

Legend
You're standing on a bridge leaning on your spear. You're tired and got a sore back from having slept badly on rough ground. You've got a vivid bruise on your right arm and scraped knuckles on that hand.

How many hit points do you have?

20 hit points.
Prove me wrong.

Last edited:

Sadras

Legend
Basically, I have trouble reconciling the idea that things like atoms and electromagnetic forces exist in the same universe where the building blocks of the universe are air, earth, fire, and water. Either a universe is mechanistic or it's supernatural, it can't be both.

We just use Newtonian mechanics to understand basic interactions in a fantasy universe because it's easier for us to imagine.

That makes absolutely no sense to me why someone would take such a hard line.

Somehow building blocks (earth, wind, air and fire) in a world of magic are devoid of any Newtonian science because hey supernatural world. I guess the use of gunpowder is supernatural too?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
That makes absolutely no sense to me why someone would take such a hard line.

Somehow building blocks (earth, wind, air and fire) in a world of magic are devoid of any Newtonian science because hey supernatural world. I guess the use of gunpowder is supernatural too?

Let's not forget those "magical" space ships and androids from the Barrier Peaks.

G

Guest 6801328

20 hit points.
Prove me wrong.

Let me see if I can kill you in one hit with a longsword. There's no way my strength is 18, so even on a crit I can't do 20 points.

If you live, I'll accept your claim.

Remove ads