A discussion of metagame concepts in game design

Emerikol

Adventurer
Mostly simplicity and I personally found 5e to be easy mode D&D at my table, after about 5th level there wasn't much challenge unless they rushed an obvious TPK.

I haven't played 5e and I've only ever looked at the free stuff but I suspected it was going to be an easy mode game. 4e was that way for me too. I was throwing ungodly stuff at them just to get some sort of suspense in combat.

Some old school things I like to emphasize
1. Preparation which includes planning and equipping.
2. Battle field tactics and teamwork. My players have been really good in the past at utilizing every advantage.
3. Caution and boldness where effective.
4. Innovation as in creative uses of abilities.
5. Death has serious consequences. A restart at 1st at lower levels and at minimum a lost level or something equivalent at higher levels.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I haven't played 5e and I've only ever looked at the free stuff but I suspected it was going to be an easy mode game. 4e was that way for me too. I was throwing ungodly stuff at them just to get some sort of suspense in combat.

Some old school things I like to emphasize
1. Preparation which includes planning and equipping.
2. Battle field tactics and teamwork. My players have been really good in the past at utilizing every advantage.
3. Caution and boldness where effective.
4. Innovation as in creative uses of abilities.
5. Death has serious consequences. A restart at 1st at lower levels and at minimum a lost level or something equivalent at higher levels.

Part of what I'm doing in S&W is reintroducing logistics to my group. Encumbrance is a key issue to deal with, henchmen may be necessary. Things like rations and water must be tracked. They are going into a horrible dungeon and hunting isn't much of an option unless they want to eat goblin and rats if that is available. I made them get rid of the 'loot sheet' which had become this extra dimensional space where they put 2.5 tons of gear and just ignored it unless they needed it. In my game I started them at L3 so they can go right to the dungeon, Rappan Athuck, and all new PC start at L3 no matter. I would have liked to do L1 but they they have to adventure for a few months to get to the level they need to be in order to hit the dungeon proper. Being dropped into negative HP means at least a week of recovery so caution is the key, not to mention they have 2 CLW spells in total.

Some people find 5e to be just what they are looking for, but with a larger group and using the "optional" parts the published material becomes a joke. Then again apparently the baseline they are writing for is no feats and no magic items, which I'd wager is a style a tiny fraction of the players embrace. I still play in a 5e game on nights I need a break, but overall its not for me.

Probably getting off topic.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I will just bounce off my own experiences. IME, the mentality of players "playing to win" is just another form of the conceit of metagaming. I have often observed that players are more inclined to act out-of-character and metagame when the circumstances creates dissonance between their in-game character and choices dicated by the player's "play to win" mentality. In those moments, the character becomes less of a character, and more of the player's chess piece. The player mutes, sidelines, or recalibrates the prior established character for the sake of the player's desire to win. For me one of the biggest perks of the former approach is one of immersion and verisimilitude. The characters become more real and lifelike because they have more foibles and flaws that guide their actions. This is really just to say that we have our respective different preferences.
Given this, I'll ask how careful are you about keeping player knowledge and character knowledge in synch.

For example, if the party send a lone scout ahead do you take the scout's player to a different room to RP the scouting mission, to prevent the other players knowing information and-or outcomes their PCs would not?

Because no matter what else, from the characters' perspective even if they're not specifically trying to win they're sure as hell trying not to lose; as loss usually means pain or death or some other form of ruin. Chances are high the players feel the same way, and it's way easier to play true to character if what you know as a player matches what you know as a character.

Lanefan

Emerikol

Adventurer
Part of what I'm doing in S&W is reintroducing logistics to my group. Encumbrance is a key issue to deal with, henchmen may be necessary. Things like rations and water must be tracked. They are going into a horrible dungeon and hunting isn't much of an option unless they want to eat goblin and rats if that is available. I made them get rid of the 'loot sheet' which had become this extra dimensional space where they put 2.5 tons of gear and just ignored it unless they needed it. In my game I started them at L3 so they can go right to the dungeon, Rappan Athuck, and all new PC start at L3 no matter. I would have liked to do L1 but they they have to adventure for a few months to get to the level they need to be in order to hit the dungeon proper. Being dropped into negative HP means at least a week of recovery so caution is the key, not to mention they have 2 CLW spells in total.

Some people find 5e to be just what they are looking for, but with a larger group and using the "optional" parts the published material becomes a joke. Then again apparently the baseline they are writing for is no feats and no magic items, which I'd wager is a style a tiny fraction of the players embrace. I still play in a 5e game on nights I need a break, but overall its not for me.

Probably getting off topic.

Actually the no feats option comprises more than 50% of the playerbase the last article I saw on it.

I'm with you. Especially at lower levels, I want to track perishables, ammo, etc... It's part of "winning" the game. Be prepared. I also like the idea that you hiring henchman and hirelings to help transport the loot. I think we'd enjoy gaming together.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Just curious, can you give any sprcifics on the undead prep case? I am curious as to why a player would want to prep for or expect undead but the character have no in-game sense of it.

Was it player saw other scenes playing out his character was not at and had no input from and so he knew but character didn't or something less divergent?
Could be as simple as this:

Character: is about to set off with her party to explore a forest in which are rumoured to be some old ruins, along with various more or less dangerous forest dwellers throughout.
Player: sees the DM pull out a module titled "Lichie and the Zombiemen"...

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Actually the no feats option comprises more than 50% of the playerbase the last article I saw on it.

I'm with you. Especially at lower levels, I want to track perishables, ammo, etc... It's part of "winning" the game. Be prepared. I also like the idea that you hiring henchman and hirelings to help transport the loot. I think we'd enjoy gaming together.

If that's the case I'm surprised. I never really run into anyone who plays no magic items, but I had assumed from PE that feats were the same. Learn something new every day.

Yeah, I'm tired of hand waving how a group of 6 gets all that treasure out of a hostile dungeon.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm probably just not clear enough in explaining my view. Choosing to accept something bad now in a metagame way to pave the way for future success has to be player thinking. A character would not think that way. On every action he is trying to do his best.

Yes, I know.

I am separating the problems of "players make suboptimal choices" with "players have metagame mechanics". With this mechanic, what seems a sub-optimal happenign for the character for the moment is stil a better thing in the long run.

And, this is also done consistent with the definition of the character. If a character has an aspect, "Two-fisted drinker" during prep scene, the GM may say, "You know, this is really stressful. Wouldn't you take a couple of shots to take the edge off? *offers Fate chip*. If the player says yes, the character is still trying to do their best... but their best may not be perfection.

Or, the player can choose to not accept the compel. Doing that means they won't be tipsy when the vampires show up, but will have fewer Fate points to spend during the fight. They get to make a choice as to which they want. They get to optimize, based on what they want to do.

Yes, it is still a metagame mechanic. I'm just trying to say "metagame" and "character not doing their best" are not equivalent.

Even in a fantasy world, doesn't the D&D way seem more realistic given the fantasy assumptions?

Not particularly, to be honest. For two reasons:

1) Your D&D way of characters always making optimal choices is not realistic. Real people don't always make optimal choices. Under stress, the *rarely* make all optimal choices. The person who always acts perfectly is unrealistic, and kind of a dull personality.

2) Making all-optimal D&D choices requires a player to to have more rules-expertise, and to be engaged more with the mechanic, rather than less. D&D fights with optimizing characters is a prolonged rules-discussion, really. The mechanics of FATE are simple, and don't generally need to be discussed much, such that major fights are more like describing scenes than talkign about damage ranges, resistances, and saving throws.

Getting more powerful as you go is perhaps a tv trope. Meaning the hero seems to face defeat a few times before finally succeeding.

TV gets it from mythology and pulp action stories from before TV was invented, dude.

A real optimal party of D&D characters does not face defeat often, because 1) defeat in D&D is usually death, 2) Optimized choices include not starting a fight if you don't know you can win it.

It does feel right to me.

And that's fine. I'm really just trying to dispel some seeming misconceptions.

I'm saying that in my style of play character knowledge and player knowledge is the same. So whatever you choose to do you are already basing it on character knowledge alone because as DM that is all I'm giving you.

Except, you know, for hit points, and armor classes, and damage ranges, and saving throws... pretty much the entire combat mechanic is metagame information. D&D (and every game) is LOADED with information the players have that the character does not, and that information is crucial for optimal decisions making in play.

But what you say is generally what is happening in FATE, as well. While some GMs use foreshadowing techniques, those are rare. In practice, the players and characters are moving forward with mostly the same inforamtion about what is coming. It is just that the player can occasionally use that information in ways the character cannot.

Your D&D way of characters always making optimal choices is not realistic. Real people don't always make optimal choices. Under stress, the *rarely* make all optimal choices.
Players rarely make perfectly optimal choices, because they don't have all of the information, and there are inherent limits to the rationality of their intellect. Often, they won't realize their mistakes until it's too late to do anything about them, if they ever end up realizing them at all.

FATE uses meta-game mechanics to try and align player goals with character flaws (e.g. your character wants a drink, and you want a fate point, so you're both in agreement about what you should do next). The problem is that, in doing so, it causes the flaw to actually become a strength. It's no longer a problem, that your character wants a drink, even though that would normally impair them; since giving in to the flaw causally generates fate points, it means you're actually stronger when you need to be, because you gave in. It means that so-called flaws are actually benefits, due to meta-game reasons that your character cannot possibly understand. It means that you shouldn't send Captain America out on an important mission, because he won't make enough mistakes along the way for him to succeed in the end; instead you should send Gomer Pyle, who is guaranteed to fail enough that he will eventually come out on top. It's just shenanigans from a causality standpoint.

If I want to play a flawed character in D&D, then I can do that. I will choose to make the wrong choices, because I'm role-playing a flawed character, and that's what they would do. Rewarding that choice should not be necessary.
The person who always acts perfectly is unrealistic, and kind of a dull personality.
That's not a very nice thing to say about Squirrel Girl.

Emerikol

Adventurer
Yes, I know.
Not particularly, to be honest. For two reasons:

1) Your D&D way of characters always making optimal choices is not realistic. Real people don't always make optimal choices. Under stress, the *rarely* make all optimal choices. The person who always acts perfectly is unrealistic, and kind of a dull personality.
And they don't in my game either because you know humans are playing those characters and they don't always make the optimal choice. You always seem to twist my words into a strawman. The characters though are trying to act optimally.

2) Making all-optimal D&D choices requires a player to to have more rules-expertise, and to be engaged more with the mechanic, rather than less. D&D fights with optimizing characters is a prolonged rules-discussion, really. The mechanics of FATE are simple, and don't generally need to be discussed much, such that major fights are more like describing scenes than talkign about damage ranges, resistances, and saving throws.
This is definitely a strawman. I'm talking about general play in the game. Behavior that looks a whole lot like real life. I do have a few with lots of rules expertise and I have others with much less. Either way they are striving to do at the moment of decision the best thing for the character just like a character would really do.

TV gets it from mythology and pulp action stories from before TV was invented, dude.
Sure. You are coming across as condescending. I should have said literary trope. Whatever. Again this sideline is just a distraction from the conversation.

A real optimal party of D&D characters does not face defeat often, because 1) defeat in D&D is usually death, 2) Optimized choices include not starting a fight if you don't know you can win it.
Defeat is a lot of things. Death is one and it's always there in a world in my games. But failing to rescue someone, having to retreat due to a superior enemy, springing a trap (small defeat), or the bad guys just plain getting away with the treasure are all defeats. Failure to achieve the goal.

Except, you know, for hit points, and armor classes, and damage ranges, and saving throws... pretty much the entire combat mechanic is metagame information. D&D (and every game) is LOADED with information the players have that the character does not, and that information is crucial for optimal decisions making in play.
Every one of those things though not perfect are representative of things characters know in game. They know the big sword tends to do more than the small dagger. They know some people are better at avoiding spell damage than others. They all know that hit points represent their overall well being and nearness to death. My characters all know that. That is in game knowledge every bit of it.

I think maybe I've triggered you which is not my intention. This thread is getting off track. I don't agree with what you think is metagame which to me is not. Just realize that for me it is not. I think it's not for others too in many cases but again that is unimportant to the questions I'm asking.

But what you say is generally what is happening in FATE, as well. While some GMs use foreshadowing techniques, those are rare. In practice, the players and characters are moving forward with mostly the same inforamtion about what is coming. It is just that the player can occasionally use that information in ways the character cannot.

And like I keep saying, I don't like that. It takes me from being a character to playing a piece in a game. Immersion if you will.

Emerikol

Adventurer
If that's the case I'm surprised. I never really run into anyone who plays no magic items, but I had assumed from PO that feats were the same. Learn something new every day.

Yeah, I'm tired of hand waving how a group of 6 gets all that treasure out of a hostile dungeon.

Yeah magic items are pretty old school. The key I believe they were emphasizing was that they were unnecessary. My guess is almost everyone plays with magic items.

I was surprised Feats were played as little as they were but realize you don't get a stat bump if you don't play a feat. If I DM'd a 5e game, my first act would be to poll the group and based on feedback choose feats or stats (or both) for everyone.

Remove ads