• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Feat with humor

iamrpgdm

Explorer
This Feat is described on the WOTC site in the Wyrms of the North feature for Balagos.

Lingering Breath [General]

Thanks to expanded lung capacity, your breath weapon lasts longer than most creatures.

Prerequisite: Breath weapon.

Benefit: Each use of your breath weapon lingers until the creature's next turn, and those entering or staying within the area of effect on the second round may take damage (see below). Those using Lingering Breath must decide before breathing that they are using the feat, otherwise the breath weapon acts as normal. Damage done in the second round is reduced by half. For example, a great red wyrm can normally breathe a cone of fire every 1d4+1 rounds doing 24d10 damage. A great red wyrm with the Lingering Breath feat can breath a cone of fire every 1d4+1 rounds that lasts 2 rounds, doing 24d10 damage the first round and 12d10 damage the second round.

Normal: Each use of a breath weapon normally lasts one round.

Thanks to expanded lung capacity, your breath weapon lasts longer than most creatures.

This sentence cracked me up. Balagos' Breath Weapon does 24d10 damage, so yeah, I can see where his breath weapon would last longer than most creatures. They'd be dead the first round before taking the additional 12d10 damage the next round.

Claude Raines

First Post
Well, the name makes me think that the creature has exceptional halitosis causing nausea to all for a certain number of rounds after the creature has departed. But alas, this is not the case.

Sodalis

First Post
i pictured a "bad" breath weapon- where you breate the first round, and since you have such bad breath, the next round is the leftover stench that does the damage... like a point of con or a -2 morale penalty to all rolls....

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Is the feat even worth it? Generally, my dragons have a hard choice between spells, full attacks (if anyone's foolish), or breath weapons - they usually use them on the first round of combat only. 24d6 isn't that bad, wehn you consider that the rogue and monk are taking 0 and the fighter (who may take half damage, or not) has hit points like crazy.

Someguy

First Post
My players would cry foul with this feat. They would say I am trying to make the dragon munchkin...

how dare I munchkinize ;)

Or imagine a half-dragon with this feat

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads