• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A few Battlefield Archer and other Ranger CS responses

Ziana

First Post
1. Battlefield Experience to-hit bonus:

Feb 13:
Q: The last sentence for Battlefield Experience (p113, feature of Battlefield Archer) states:

"In addition, ANY attack made against a quarry receives a +1 bonus to attack rolls."

Since I cannot find anything to indicate otherwise, does that mean that attacks by any party member (consistent with the phrasing "any attack") gain +1 to hit?

If possible, please confirm this with design staff. Thank-you.

Feb 13:
This email is to inform you that we have received your incident and have escalated it for further review. A representative should be contacting you concerning your incident in 24-48 hours or less.

Feb 18:
Ziana,

Your previous request is still being looked into, and we still don't have an answer for you. Please be patient, as you will get a response to your email once we have one to give you.

Thanks,

Feb 26:
Ziana,

I'm sorry for the delay in response to your original question. This Paragon Path ability grants a attack bonus to every attack made against the quarry. This includes attacks by your allies and enemies.

Please let me know if you need anymore help!

Rob
Online Response Crew

That it took two weeks to get an answer to that one leads me to conclude that they confirmed the answer with design staff. Until an errata contradicts it, it appears to be both RAW and RAI that Battlefield Archers grant an across-the-board +1 to hit to their quarry for everyone in their party (plus charmed foes/misdirected enemy attacks, etc.)

2. Designating Multiple Quarries

Q: The correct interpretation of this rule is currently disputed on the Gleemax boards.

P104: "Once per turn as a minor action, you can designate the enemy nearest to you as your quarry."

P113: "You can designate more than one creature as your quarry at a time, up to a number equal to your Wisdom modifier."

It is unclear if that means:

a) With one minor action, a ranger can designate Wis Mod quarries
b) A ranger can designate Wis Mod quarries, taking a minor action for each one.

Any help is appreciated. Thank-you.

Hello. You can make multiple quarries total, but you may only make one quarry per turn. I hope this clears things up!

I assume by "turn" the CSR is assuming the use of only one minor action per turn. Presumably, using 3 minor actions the ranger could designate 3 quarries. But this ruling contradicts those who say you can designate Wis Mod quarries with a single minor action.

3. Order of Proximity, Multiple Quarries

Q: Hello, I'm trying to resolve a dispute over how the Battlefield Archer can assign multiple quarries.

Previously in June of last year I asked:

"Page 104 states that you can designate the enemy nearest you as your Quarry (errata modifies that to "nearest enemy you can see". In order to designate additional Quarries per page 113, is it necessary to adjust position before doing so, so that the new Quarry is the nearest enemy target, or is it sufficient to designate quarries in order of proximity from the character?"

And CSR Joe responded:

"This appears to be a minor over sight but order of proximity will cover it."

I would like to confirm whether this is correctly the Rule as Intended: that a Battlefield Archer can assign quarries from a single position, in order of proximity up to their wisdom modifier, or whether a they do in fact need to reposition so that each new quarry is the nearest visible enemy to them.

Edit to add: this would probably be the same as for the warlock's curse, which can also be applied to multiple enemies, but again, the "nearest you can see". Must the warlock reposition to add the next closest, or does order of proximity work?

Unfortunately Joe was misinformed; your quarry must always be the closest creature to you, so if you need to move to make that happen, then that is what you need to do. This would also be true for the Warlock's Curse.

A reversal of what they said last year; a little inconvenient for the ranger, but this seems to be consistent with RAW and warlocks and rangers have to deal with it in the same way.

4. Spitting Cobra Stance and Bleeding Precision

Q: Do the Ranger Daily Power, Spitting-Cobra Stance, and the feat Bleeding Precision, work together?

Unfortunately no, they do not work together. Spitting cobra stance provides you a basic attack, however, it's the basic attack that's hitting, not the spitting cobra stance. As such, they would not work together.

Remove ads