• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A few comments from a playtester

charlesatan

Explorer
Samurai said:
Personally, I think multiclassing seems too weak as written. Normally a Feat will give you some additional ability, or improve an existing one. If all the powers are theoretically equal, doesn't merely exchanging 1 power for another at the price of a feat mean you gain nothing?

You gain flexibility outside of your niche/role. It's not a lucrative choice for everyone all the time but it's there.

Nightchilde-2

First Post
Cadfan said:
Having a character multiclass into wizard at level 10 and gain only abilities that are appropriate for a first level wizard fighting 1st level enemies was, while realistic, really lame.

Now that character gets abilities that are appropriate for a 10th level wizard.

This is less realistic. It also doesn't suck.

This.

Also, you won't have to have several "patches" (Practiced Spellcaster, Mystic Theurge & other PrCs, DM fiat) to make multiclassing a playable choice.

'cause let's face it..a Fighter 9/Wizard 1 was a piss-poor wizard and a fairly bad fighter.... :D

Cirex

First Post
However, a fighter with wizard multiclassing faces some other problems, like the possibly low intelligence, which affects the attack roll and damage.

No armor restriction to casting though!

Aria Silverhands

First Post
Nightchilde-2 said:
'cause let's face it..a Fighter 9/Wizard 1 was a piss-poor wizard and a fairly bad fighter.... :D
I disagree. It depends on what the fighter wants to use the magic for. Utility spells that aren't totally dependent on caster level work quite well.

Jack99

Adventurer
Kwalish Kid said:
Thanks for the link, Jack99. It really made me appreciate the quality of posters here.

Noinarap said:
As a very frequent gleemax poster, I very frequently question my decision to be a gleemax poster. If I clicked "Report Post" any more often, the mods would accuse me of harassing them.

I was only there because ENworld was down, and Paizo is dead when it comes to 4e. But seriously, did you guys read the thread that was linked in the thread that I linked? The one by Psycho_Robot or something. I mean, I can have a bit of edge when I post at times, but his posts are seriously [censored] up. I really hope his parents take away his computer access and give the kids his meds....

Jack99

Adventurer
Aria Silverhands said:
I disagree. It depends on what the fighter wants to use the magic for. Utility spells that aren't totally dependent on caster level work quite well.

You might disagree, but you are wrong none the less. A fig9/wiz1 is a piss poor wizard.

med stud

First Post
Jack99 said:
You might disagree, but you are wrong none the less. A fig9/wiz1 is a piss poor wizard.
A cheesy solution to make him worthwhile is to load him up on wands. As a wizard he can use them, even if his class level is only 1. By himself, he is pretty pointless.

Aria Silverhands

First Post
Jack99 said:
:rolleyes:

He's not a wizard at that point. He's a dabbler. You can't just look at one part of the character and compare them to a single class wizard of 10th lvl. He's a fighter who has learned some minor incantations to aid him in combat or through some other means.

Useful utility spells:
Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Read Magic, Dancing Lights, Light, Ghost Sound, Mage Hand, Mending, Message, Open/Close, Arcane Mark, Prestidigitation, Alarm, Shield, Comprehend Languages, Detect Secret Doors, Identify, True Strike, Charm Person (npc's in town for information or something), Disguise Self, Magic Aura, Silent Image, Ventriloquism, Animate Rope, Erase, Expeditious Retreat, Feather Fall, Jump.

All those are useful spells in various situations that any class could make use of really.

am181d

Adventurer
We might be a bit past this in the conversation by this point, but I don't see anything wrong with a hero (or a paragon or an... um... epic-er) picking up a power/spell of roughly their current power level. Their are plenty of ways to handle this that will be appropriate to varying campaigns, and it's incumbent upon DM's to address (or, should they prefer, not address) this in a way that's keeping with said campaign.

For instance, maybe Gariok the Hunter has been watching Isgul the Wizard casting spells through many adventures and says to him "I was initially skeptical of your ways, Isgul, but I'm starting to see the value. Do you suppose that you could teach me how to cast one of your spells..."

Isgul responds, "Well, um, if you're really interested Gariok, perhaps we could start with something simple like a cantrip. Ghost sounds, maybe?"

Gariok shakes his head. "Actually, I've been watching you cast that 'fireball' thing of yours, and that seems a bit more useful."

"But Gariok," Isgul protests, "It took me years to learn that incantation, and I required many years of study and hard work and practice of simpler incantations before I was ready for it."

Gariok smiles. "You have to remember that I'm not some village waif, Isgul. I've travelled the lands with you for some time, I've fought necromancers and vile demons, held open the rift at Shar Thorr and performed the ritual of the Endless Storm with you..." Adding, "And I've been watching you cast your fireball for a few weeks now, and I've been practicing in a mirror."

I don't think that one character picking a limited number of powers from another class has to be AT ALL unbalancing OR unrealistic. If you want it to work, you can make it work.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads