Wall of Gloom: need to read up on differences and effect

Rystil Arden

First Post
I don't own SC. I vote YES to all that were not changed in SC. That's:

Earthen Grasp
Low-Light Vision
Stony Grasp
Swim

I'll also vote in Familiar Pocket, since no matter what they were doing, I can't see how the SC designers could have made Familiar Pocket into a spell that would affect balance.

Erekose13

Explorer
Phantasmal Assailants: YES to CA version. 8 wis and 8 dex damage is too much for a 2nd level spell even if it does require 2 saves.

Shadow Binding: YES to CA version. the entangle part is slightly weaker than the entangle druid spell (SR applies). At 3rd level it needs a bit more and the daze for 1 round is acceptable.

Wall of Gloom: YES to SC version. The CA version is too complex and seems a bit powerful for a 2nd level spell. the SC version (just blocking line of sight but allowing a bigger wall) seems more appropriate.

Rystil Arden

First Post
I can definitely vote YES to the CA versions of PA and SB. If Wall of Gloom is even weaker in SC, it won't be a problem, so that's acceptable too. It wasn't too troublesome with the CA version either, though the Will Save to pass was helpful for our Illusionist who had very high save DCs.

Bront

The man with the probe
Erekose13 said:
Phantasmal Assailants: YES to CA version. 8 wis and 8 dex damage is too much for a 2nd level spell even if it does require 2 saves.

Wall of Gloom: YES to SC version. The CA version is too complex and seems a bit powerful for a 2nd level spell. the SC version (just blocking line of sight but allowing a bigger wall) seems more appropriate.
I disagree for the most part with your assessment of these two.

PA is an all or nothing thing that requires 2 different saves and has SA, and damage wise (the 8 points on wis and dex) is on par with an increase from the 1st level spell Ray of Enfeblement (1d6+1/2lv strength or 3-8 at 3rd level and goes up from there), which is a no save touch spell.

I don't see the will save to pass through WoG being a dealbreaker either.

That said, I obviously approve the SC versions, as I feel the more powerful versions are ok, and I think they give Illusion some much needed pop in the spell catagory.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Ray of Enfeeblement never takes you to 0 and doesn't stack. A big brute losing Strength will weaken its attack, but that's about it. A brute enemy with lower than 8 Wis is catatonic immediately. And if it makes it barely, its Will save is now abysmal so you can do it again with ease.

Erekose13

Explorer
As RA pointed out PA is damage where as RoE is a penalty. That penalty goes away at the end of the spell duration and can't stack with more penalties. Damage sticks and can stack.

For WoG I don't think the CA one is over powered, I just feel that the SC version is cleaner and more appropriate for L2.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Any other 2nd level ability damaging spells? Chill touch only does 1 Str on a failed save, but that is 1st. Touch of idiocy is a penalty to 3 stats, not damage. Feeblemind doesn't even do damage. Ego whip does 1d4 (save for half) Cha dmg.

Assume Foolish Fighter has a Fort +5 and Will +1 at 3rd level (14 Con, 12 Dex, and 10 Wis). Our chaster has a 15 Caster ability, so a DC 14 save. So, 24% of the time, Foolish takes 8 dmg to two stats, 36% takes 8, and 40% takes nothing, for an expected loss of about 3.5 to two states. In comparison, Foolish can expect to take 1.5 to one stat from Ego whip (and one that does not affect subsequent saves to the ability). A CR 3 shadow vs Foolish with its 1d6 Str touch attack at +3 expects to do 1.2 Str damage. Thus, in comparison to other CR 3 attacks, PA is quite stronger (unless my discrete conditional expectation is off, which it could be).

Remove ads