• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

a few minis I have painted

Doug Sundseth

First Post
First, let me say that your work is quite good for the time you've been painting, but there's always another step that you can take.

From the pictures you posted, I'd recommend that your next steps should be:

Thin you paints a bit more (and perhaps use an extender). The chalky appearance of some of your highlighting and shading is usually caused by improperly thinned paint.

Push your highlights higher and shadows deeper, particularly on the faces of the figures.

Blackline the borders between colors to make for crisper color transitions. (Blacklining need not be done with "black", btw.)

And you might want to take a look at some miniatures photography tutorials (like the ones on the Reaper site). Good lighting and a simple backdrop will make your pictures look much better.

HTH

WhatGravitas

Explorer
ethandrul said:
the idea of thinning my paints, does water work- or is there a product I should use?
Usually just water, then wipe off the excess water (to avoid swamping the mini with liquid). If have problems (due to hard water), you may want to try distilled water.

There are also more funky products, like matte medium, but usually, they're not necessary - though some people add them to the water-paint mix, as the matte medium has the viscosity of acrylics.

Cheers, LT.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads