• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Few More Tidbits About D&D Beyond From The Developer

Adam Bradford, the senior product manager of upcoming D&D digital toolset D&D Beyond has answered a few questions about the product over at the Tribality website. You can read the full interview at the link below, but here are the highlights. Nothing major, but a few bits like filtering content, roadmap features like initiative trackers, color-coded tabs, etc.

Adam Bradford, the senior product manager of upcoming D&D digital toolset D&D Beyond has answered a few questions about the product over at the Tribality website. You can read the full interview at the link below, but here are the highlights. Nothing major, but a few bits like filtering content, roadmap features like initiative trackers, color-coded tabs, etc.

dnd-beyond-monsters.png

• Alpha testing is finished.
  • Beta testing emails go out "very soon".
  • The software has table with colour codes (see images above and below) to make it easy to tell where you are.
  • Adam has played D&D for 20 years.
  • Additional features later will include "encounter builder, combat/ initiative tracker, dice rolling and automation, stream integration, and much more".
  • There will be easy ways to filter content - for example "Want to see every spell that requires a Charisma saving throw in the game? Or every healing spell? Every spell that does force damage?"
  • Their license does not restrict them on delivery mechanisms. They "are fully aware of the offline capability concerns and are working to mitigate those concerns". A few days ago, WotC's Greg Tito confirmed "D&D Beyond will work without an internet connection. That's a big deal for the devs!"
  • You an read the full interview here.

dnd-beyond-spells.png

BoldItalic

First Post
What a strange hill to choose to die on. May I ask what prompted such a rigid stance? Are you aware that twitch is a completely free account that you would never need to use for anything other than this app?

First impressions count.

In the material that was emailed out, or posted here or in the WotC articles or on Twitter, there was ample opportunity for them to say: "Oh, by the way, you will need to sign up for a Twitch account". If they had done that, then people could either have had one ready in advance or decided not to bother. That they didn't do that, shows a lack of imagination on their part. Developers who lack even the simplest grasp of that, are not worth working with.

End of story.

ddaley

Explorer
Um, what? How long could it possibly take to create a twitch account? Is it really that big of an endeavor? I haven't done it and don't really plan to, but this seems like an odd criticism. You had to have known that this would require some kind of account, no?

First impressions count.

In the material that was emailed out, or posted here or in the WotC articles or on Twitter, there was ample opportunity for them to say: "Oh, by the way, you will need to sign up for a Twitch account". If they had done that, then people could either have had one ready in advance or decided not to bother. That they didn't do that, shows a lack of imagination on their part. Developers who lack even the simplest grasp of that, are not worth working with.

End of story.

Koren n'Rhys

Explorer
It never ceases to amaze me how people get all hot and bothered about having to make an account to use something online. It's 2017, you ALWAYS have to, and your information is all over the internet already, no matter what you think. <sigh>

BoldItalic

First Post
Um, what? How long could it possibly take to create a twitch account? Is it really that big of an endeavor? I haven't done it and don't really plan to, but this seems like an odd criticism. You had to have known that this would require some kind of account, no?

The criticism is not that it needs a Twitch account, but that it didn't occur to them to say so beforehand. They have made assumptions about their potential user population but made no attempt to validate those assumptions. A rookie mistake. I have no time for them.

ddaley

Explorer
Still odd, but, okay then. Move along.

The criticism is not that it needs a Twitch account, but that it didn't occur to them to say so beforehand. They have made assumptions about their potential user population but made no attempt to validate those assumptions. A rookie mistake. I have no time for them.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Yeah, I'm not understanding how it is upsetting that it is a Twitch account that is being made...

I mean, I didn't have one, but all I had to do was click "sign up" on the D&D beyond page and punch in minimal information. Sure, I also needed to click a verification link in my email so that email notifications would work (apparently wasn't necessary for just signing in to use D&D beyond) which took me to the Twitch website - but I closed that tab and haven't had to go back since signing in on the D&D Beyond site.

It was actually less obnoxious of a process than some of the gaming forums I've signed up for, since I didn't have to input a Captcha code, and didn't have to wait for an admin to get around to activating my account before I could actually sign in to it.

Remove ads

Remove ads