A Few More Tidbits About D&D Beyond From The Developer

Adam Bradford, the senior product manager of upcoming D&D digital toolset D&D Beyond has answered a few questions about the product over at the Tribality website. You can read the full interview at the link below, but here are the highlights. Nothing major, but a few bits like filtering content, roadmap features like initiative trackers, color-coded tabs, etc.

Adam Bradford, the senior product manager of upcoming D&D digital toolset D&D Beyond has answered a few questions about the product over at the Tribality website. You can read the full interview at the link below, but here are the highlights. Nothing major, but a few bits like filtering content, roadmap features like initiative trackers, color-coded tabs, etc.

dnd-beyond-monsters.png

• Alpha testing is finished.
  • Beta testing emails go out "very soon".
  • The software has table with colour codes (see images above and below) to make it easy to tell where you are.
  • Adam has played D&D for 20 years.
  • Additional features later will include "encounter builder, combat/ initiative tracker, dice rolling and automation, stream integration, and much more".
  • There will be easy ways to filter content - for example "Want to see every spell that requires a Charisma saving throw in the game? Or every healing spell? Every spell that does force damage?"
  • Their license does not restrict them on delivery mechanisms. They "are fully aware of the offline capability concerns and are working to mitigate those concerns". A few days ago, WotC's Greg Tito confirmed "D&D Beyond will work without an internet connection. That's a big deal for the devs!"
  • You an read the full interview here.

dnd-beyond-spells.png

GarrettKP

Explorer
Yeah, the first phase of beta starts Monday.

The beta will roll out in three major phases - we want to get focused use and feedback on each core feature. The first will include the Compendium with basic rules content and the three Listings (Spells, Magic Items, Monsters), as well as opening the Forums.

The second and third phases will introduce the Character Builder and Sheet, Homebrew, and the first pass of Campaign Management. We will push those live in the next several weeks ramping up to launch.

Hope to see you all there on Monday!
When phase 2 comes out does phase 1 go away? Or will we keep the compendiums when the second phase drops?

mflayermonk

First Post
Will there be a way for me to develop homebrew content and then easily share with other users of the Curse app?
For example, I want to share a gazetteer of my homebrew world of mfonkia, could my players with the Curse app easily download and install my file?

variant

Adventurer
The problem I have with these various digital tools is that they charge full book price for the content. It's digital, the cost should reflect that. Plus, you should be allowed to add your own content so that people who already own the books can just add it.

Corpsetaker

First Post
It's amazing how Wizards really tries to get D&D involved in the digital age and yet they still will not do the most basic thing such as release their books in PDF at a lower price like Paizo.

Brian Smith

First Post
Why is there no info on the pricing yet.

Can you at least give us a clue of the pricing model? One time purchase plus add-ons? Monthly subscription? 1 per group, or 1 per player?

Why do companies hide the pricing, but show off everything else? You're gonna have to tell me the price before I buy it. You're going to include lots of people in beta testing the product to see if it works like we want. Why is our opinion on the product valuable but our opinion on the pricing not wanted until its too late?

Remove ads

Remove ads