• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Few More Tidbits About D&D Beyond From The Developer

Adam Bradford, the senior product manager of upcoming D&D digital toolset D&D Beyond has answered a few questions about the product over at the Tribality website. You can read the full interview at the link below, but here are the highlights. Nothing major, but a few bits like filtering content, roadmap features like initiative trackers, color-coded tabs, etc.

Adam Bradford, the senior product manager of upcoming D&D digital toolset D&D Beyond has answered a few questions about the product over at the Tribality website. You can read the full interview at the link below, but here are the highlights. Nothing major, but a few bits like filtering content, roadmap features like initiative trackers, color-coded tabs, etc.

dnd-beyond-monsters.png

• Alpha testing is finished.
  • Beta testing emails go out "very soon".
  • The software has table with colour codes (see images above and below) to make it easy to tell where you are.
  • Adam has played D&D for 20 years.
  • Additional features later will include "encounter builder, combat/ initiative tracker, dice rolling and automation, stream integration, and much more".
  • There will be easy ways to filter content - for example "Want to see every spell that requires a Charisma saving throw in the game? Or every healing spell? Every spell that does force damage?"
  • Their license does not restrict them on delivery mechanisms. They "are fully aware of the offline capability concerns and are working to mitigate those concerns". A few days ago, WotC's Greg Tito confirmed "D&D Beyond will work without an internet connection. That's a big deal for the devs!"
  • You an read the full interview here.

dnd-beyond-spells.png

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Unless it requires a constant link to a server to remain functional, it's going to be cracked within the week - knock yourself out, I doubt WoC will be collapsing anytime soon. So if you really, really don't want to support/pay for it, there's that.

Though if they run it as a sub, then for my lot at least, it's a moot point. We won't be going anywhere near it.

Looks like it will be usable for free, and you can purchase content a la carte, or subscribe.

I'd recommended playtesting it and giving feedback on what features would need to be in what payment model for you to be willing to use it long term.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
So I have this crazy idea:

I'm going to try the beta.
i'm going to see what the options are.
Then I'm going to decide which options work best for me based on what I value out of the app vs. the cost.

epithet

Explorer
[SARCASM]You know, I purchased the Star Wars trilogy on VHS. I was pretty cheesed off when Lucasfilm made me pay AGAIN for the SAME movie when they released the films on DVD. And now, if I want the SAME movies AGAIN streaming, I have to pay full price a third time!!![/SARCASM]

I'm only partially responding to ddaley, but more responding to this general idea that comes up every time we discuss a new digital tool. Folks have the same complaint about Fantasy Grounds.

If you pay money to access D&D 5E content on D&D Beyond for books you already own in one form and/or another . . . . you AREN'T paying for the same content twice. You are paying to access the content through a different medium or service. It either will or won't be worth it to you, but criticism of "paying for the same content again" is unfair. WotC and Curse have to make money, and they also have a right to make as much money as they can out of their customer base, it's what all for-profit businesses do. Nothing announced so far smacks of being "unfair" or "money-gouging".

I'm excited about the beta and will be participating. If the tool proves awesome enough that I want to switch from Fantasy Grounds, or use both programs, then I'll have to weigh price and total investment. Price is most certainly a concern, but it's premature to worry about it now and I'll never complain about "paying for the same content again".

While it is true that "nothing announced so far" smacks of money gouging, that's perhaps because nothing has been announced.

WotC stands apart from the standard practices of the tabletop game publishing industry both in their refusal to bundle digital and physical versions of the same product, and in their general unwillingness or inability to deal with digital media. Certainly they've gotten better on the latter point with their recent deals with SmiteWorks for Fantasy Grounds content and the later similar arrangement with Roll20, but the former remains an issue. Other publishers, including WotC content partners like Green Ronin, Sasquatch, and Frog God routinely include a digital version with the purchase of a physical book, and sell the digital versions at significantly less if that's all you want. WotC, on the other hand, actually charges more for the digital version: they have an MSRP set for the so-called "friendly local gaming store," while the products sell for much less through online and big-box retailers. The digital versions of 5e material are set at the full FLGS MSRP, meaning you'll pay $50 for a digital version of the hardcover book you bought for $35.

Just to take a moment to address your analogy to motion pictures, maybe you haven't noticed but lately most movies come as a "combo" format, with a blu-ray disc and a code for the movie on iTunes or a similar digital service. Many also include a DVD for those who still kick it old school, and a 3D movie always comes with a 2D version in the same box. If Hollywood (known for its eagerness to turn us all upside down and shake the spare change out of our pockets) were to follow the Hasbro/WotC pricing model, that combo pack for one movie wouldn't exist, and you would have to buy each format separately. What you get at Target for $20 would run you $70 or more. If 20th Century Fox can bundle formats, so can WotC.

If you are paying full price for the Player's Handbook in hardcover, Fantasy Grounds module, and D&D Beyond formats, you are absolutely buying the same content three times. You're buying the complete spell lists three times, the Battlemaster archetype three times, the feats three times, etc. Your snarky comment suggests that none of that content is what you're paying for at all, and that your money is just going to the delivery system - the printer or the coder that puts text in front of your eyeballs. That's just silly.

The reality is that, after the printers and coders take their cut, Hasbro/WotC is charging you as many times as possible for the same product. Now, that's their prerogative and none of us can gainsay their choices on the matter. What Hollywood recognised, though, is that laws and copy-protection tech do very nearly nothing whatsoever to protect intellectual property. If you want to download a movie (or a game manual) for free, you are almost certainly going to be able to find it somewhere. What protects intellectual property and enables content providers to enjoy success in business is the goodwill of their customers, and our desire to compensate them for the value we receive. That's why the ad that pops up when you insert the disc changed from "piracy is a crime" to "a lot of people worked hard on this."

What WotC really need to do is to start allowing retailers to bundle formats at a reasonable discount. I should be able to order a D&D product that comes with a printed version and one or more digitally delivered versions for one reasonable price. Their technophobia has to be costing them sales, even as successful as 5e is. I mean, it is not difficult at all to find a pdf of a D&D 5e book, but it is impossible to pay for one. That's a bad business decision.

Oofta

Legend
So I have this crazy idea:

I'm going to try the beta.
i'm going to see what the options are.
Then I'm going to decide which options work best for me based on what I value out of the app vs. the cost.

What? That's crazy talk! Trying something out, getting all the fact? Before moaning and complaining about how it inherently broken the plan is, how it's doomed to failure (DOOMED I SAY) and how WOTC is the root of all evil?

Blasphemy! Who the heck let you post such nonsense to a public message board! :rant:

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
Looks like it will be usable for free, and you can purchase content a la carte, or subscribe.

I'd recommended playtesting it and giving feedback on what features would need to be in what payment model for you to be willing to use it long term.

Heck, if it's free - which would be a great gesture - then I'd happily donate to support!

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
While I understand this sentiment, I have to say that I'm finding that some of these new mediums make the pdf's kind of obsolete. For rules or mechanics references, compendiums are much easier for finding information. For adventures, when playing online, the organization in a Roll20 or FG package is organized in a much more usable fashion.

A big selling point for DNDB will be the ability to filter content. When I read that there will be filters for things like force damage, that immediately got me tingly :D

While it is true that "nothing announced so far" smacks of money gouging, that's perhaps because nothing has been announced.

WotC stands apart from the standard practices of the tabletop game publishing industry both in their refusal to bundle digital and physical versions of the same product, and in their general unwillingness or inability to deal with digital media. Certainly they've gotten better on the latter point with their recent deals with SmiteWorks for Fantasy Grounds content and the later similar arrangement with Roll20, but the former remains an issue. Other publishers, including WotC content partners like Green Ronin, Sasquatch, and Frog God routinely include a digital version with the purchase of a physical book, and sell the digital versions at significantly less if that's all you want. WotC, on the other hand, actually charges more for the digital version: they have an MSRP set for the so-called "friendly local gaming store," while the products sell for much less through online and big-box retailers. The digital versions of 5e material are set at the full FLGS MSRP, meaning you'll pay $50 for a digital version of the hardcover book you bought for $35.

Just to take a moment to address your analogy to motion pictures, maybe you haven't noticed but lately most movies come as a "combo" format, with a blu-ray disc and a code for the movie on iTunes or a similar digital service. Many also include a DVD for those who still kick it old school, and a 3D movie always comes with a 2D version in the same box. If Hollywood (known for its eagerness to turn us all upside down and shake the spare change out of our pockets) were to follow the Hasbro/WotC pricing model, that combo pack for one movie wouldn't exist, and you would have to buy each format separately. What you get at Target for $20 would run you $70 or more. If 20th Century Fox can bundle formats, so can WotC.

If you are paying full price for the Player's Handbook in hardcover, Fantasy Grounds module, and D&D Beyond formats, you are absolutely buying the same content three times. You're buying the complete spell lists three times, the Battlemaster archetype three times, the feats three times, etc. Your snarky comment suggests that none of that content is what you're paying for at all, and that your money is just going to the delivery system - the printer or the coder that puts text in front of your eyeballs. That's just silly.

The reality is that, after the printers and coders take their cut, Hasbro/WotC is charging you as many times as possible for the same product. Now, that's their prerogative and none of us can gainsay their choices on the matter. What Hollywood recognised, though, is that laws and copy-protection tech do very nearly nothing whatsoever to protect intellectual property. If you want to download a movie (or a game manual) for free, you are almost certainly going to be able to find it somewhere. What protects intellectual property and enables content providers to enjoy success in business is the goodwill of their customers, and our desire to compensate them for the value we receive. That's why the ad that pops up when you insert the disc changed from "piracy is a crime" to "a lot of people worked hard on this."

What WotC really need to do is to start allowing retailers to bundle formats at a reasonable discount. I should be able to order a D&D product that comes with a printed version and one or more digitally delivered versions for one reasonable price. Their technophobia has to be costing them sales, even as successful as 5e is. I mean, it is not difficult at all to find a pdf of a D&D 5e book, but it is impossible to pay for one. That's a bad business decision.
If your argument that this was the same content that you're paying for 3 times then there would be no need to get the Fantasy Grounds product or this new product. The book would be enough and the other 2 would just be repeated content.

The fact that there are people willing to buy all 3 products proves that they are not the same content. Either that or those people just hate money and want to buy things 3 times over. :D

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
If your argument that this was the same content that you're paying for 3 times then there would be no need to get the Fantasy Grounds product or this new product. The book would be enough and the other 2 would just be repeated content.

The fact that there are people willing to buy all 3 products proves that they are not the same content. Either that or those people just hate money and want to buy things 3 times over. :D

At least insofar as Fantasy Grounds is concerned, what you are paying for is convenience. You can enter anything and everything for 5E into FG, assuming you have the time and the talent to do so. And some folks do. But how much is your time worth?

I am sure Beyond will be similar. There will be some base cost and with that cost you will be able to create custom content. And if you can create custom content you can create official content. So complaining about cost of data is a little disingenuous. Pay the money, do the work or opt out.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads