• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A few problems with stealth

Wepfmokk

First Post
1) Stealth modifiers:
you...
speak: -5
move more than 2 squares: -5
run: -10

I dont know how to handle that as DM. When a rouge is sneaking through a dungeon or trying to sneak by guards, he is constantly moving, but i dont want to give him -5 all the time.

2) It says that you can hide in combat if you have cover or concealment. (opponents have perception checks, but still) Stealthing is part of the action you try to do sneaky. What would keep a rogue from standing behind a small boulder, hiding and then attacking (from range) every turn, thus granting him combat advantage and sneak attack damage?

Gort

Explorer
Wepfmokk said:
1) Stealth modifiers:
you...
speak: -5
move more than 2 squares: -5
run: -10

I dont know how to handle that as DM. When a rouge is sneaking through a dungeon or trying to sneak by guards, he is constantly moving, but i dont want to give him -5 all the time.

2) It says that you can hide in combat if you have cover or concealment. (opponents have perception checks, but still) Stealthing is part of the action you try to do sneaky. What would keep a rogue from standing behind a small boulder, hiding and then attacking (from range) every turn, thus granting him combat advantage and sneak attack damage?
To answer point 1: When your rogue is sneaking through a dungeon, just make sure he's not moving more than 2 squares per round and he doesn't take any penalty.

To answer point 2: nothing prevents this. However, he does need to make a stealth check against the perception check of the enemy. Nothing guarantees that he's going to succeed on that every round. And in any case, it's not like any halfway competent enemy is going to let him keep doing that for long - they still know where the crossbow bolts are coming from.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads