• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A few questions

ThorneMD

First Post
Alright...so our group is a bit lost on these things.

1. The paladin in the group took a PrC that granted him immunity to mind-influencing magic and effects. By the rules, is he able to lower this in order to gain the benefit of the bard's inspire greatness ability?

2. The Battlefist for warforged has a rather vague description for what parts are used. It states that the item attaches at the warforged arm and covers the entire hand. Does this mean that the Battlefist takes up one bracer slot and one gauntlet slot?

3. Can Warforged take pre-existing magic items and modify them into their bodies? Say take the magic of a magic sword and work it into a armblade?

Eldritch_Lord

Adventurer
1. The paladin in the group took a PrC that granted him immunity to mind-influencing magic and effects. By the rules, is he able to lower this in order to gain the benefit of the bard's inspire greatness ability?

Nope. Immunity does not let you turn it on and off unless it specifically states it does.

2. The Battlefist for warforged has a rather vague description for what parts are used. It states that the item attaches at the warforged arm and covers the entire hand. Does this mean that the Battlefist takes up one bracer slot and one gauntlet slot?

I'm fairly sure it only takes up a gauntlet slot, though I don't have my Eberron books on me at the moment.

3. Can Warforged take pre-existing magic items and modify them into their bodies? Say take the magic of a magic sword and work it into a armblade?

You can probably ask your DM to let you do that with the Craft Construct feat or something similar, but to my knowledge there are no general-purpose rules on magic item implantation in warforged.

Vegepygmy

First Post
Nope. Immunity does not let you turn it on and off unless it specifically states it does.
I disagree. PHB, page 177:

Voluntarily Giving up a Saving Throw: A creature can voluntarily forego a saving throw and willingly accept a spell's result. Even a character with a special resistance to magic (for example, an elf's resistance to sleep effects) can suppress this quality.

The bard's ability does not allow a saving throw; nevertheless, the implication is that immunity can be waived when the immune creature chooses to do so.

Eldritch_Lord

Adventurer

Voluntarily Giving up a Saving Throw: A creature can voluntarily forego a saving throw and willingly accept a spell's result. Even a character with a special resistance to magic (for example, an elf's resistance to sleep effects) can suppress this quality.

The bard's ability does not allow a saving throw; nevertheless, the implication is that immunity can be waived when the immune creature chooses to do so.

Hmm...normally that's only the case for effects derived from SR, like a golem's magic immunity, because SR specifically can be lowered; I'd never noticed that line before. The "special resistance to magic" part and the mention of elven "resistance" to sleep effects when everywhere else it's called immunity makes me think that's an erroneous example, but if that's what it says, that's what it says.

EDIT: No wonder I didn't see that example before. I don't have a PHB and so only use the SRD, and there the full quote is just "A creature can voluntarily forego a saving throw and willingly accept a spell’s result. Even a character with a special resistance to magic can suppress this quality" which still seemingly refers to SR. I don't know which one's right or what to say about the sleep example.

Last edited:

Rhun

First Post

I agree with Vegepygmy's interpretation. I would say that the paladin could voluntarily lower his defense to gain the benefits of the bard's music.

irdeggman

First Post
EDIT: No wonder I didn't see that example before. I don't have a PHB and so only use the SRD, and there the full quote is just "A creature can voluntarily forego a saving throw and willingly accept a spell’s result. Even a character with a special resistance to magic can suppress this quality" which still seemingly refers to SR. I don't know which one's right or what to say about the sleep example.

The printed text (i.e., from the book) always takes precedence. The SRD is edited by its very nature and thus is often missing key text to cover rules - like this time.

Nebten

First Post
Even a character with a special resistance to magic can suppress this quality" which still seemingly refers to SR. I don't know which one's right or what to say about the sleep example.

This does not refer to SR. Page 298 of DMG: Spell Resistance.

A creature can voluntarily lower its spell resistance. Doing so is a standard action that does not proke an attack of opportunity. Once a creature lowers its resistance, it reamains down until the creature's next turn. At the beginning of the creature's next turn, the creature's spell resistance automatically returns unless the creature intentionally keeps it down (also a standard action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity).

Eldritch_Lord

Adventurer
irdeggman said:
The printed text (i.e., from the book) always takes precedence. The SRD is edited by its very nature and thus is often missing key text to cover rules - like this time.

This does not refer to SR. Page 298 of DMG: Spell Resistance.

A creature can voluntarily lower its spell resistance. Doing so is a standard action that does not proke an attack of opportunity. Once a creature lowers its resistance, it reamains down until the creature's next turn. At the beginning of the creature's next turn, the creature's spell resistance automatically returns unless the creature intentionally keeps it down (also a standard action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity).

I know what the definition of SR is; it's just that that's the only lower-able immunity I knew of (the golem's magic immunity, based off of SR), and it keeps referring to the immunity as a resistance, which is what was throwing me off.

irdeggman

First Post
I know what the definition of SR is; it's just that that's the only lower-able immunity I knew of (the golem's magic immunity, based off of SR), and it keeps referring to the immunity as a resistance, which is what was throwing me off.

Unfortunatly the RAW is full of such inconsistencies. It is like someone at WotC decided to use a certain phrase to mean something but forgot to tell the rest of the world or the rest of the staff ;-)

Remove ads