• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A few specialized feats for the soulknife

Kisanji Arael

First Post
Creative Differences [psionic]
Prerequisites: Int 13, Mind Blade, shape mind blade
Benefit: choose two light or one-handed piercing or slashing melee weapons that you are proficient with. Alternatively, choose one two handed weapon that you are have proficiency for. You can now shape your mind blade into both of these forms. They have the same hardness and hit points as your standard mind blade, and apply to the same rules.
Normal: You can only form your mind blade into short swords, long swords, and bastard swords.
Special: This feat can be taken multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Every time you take it, it applies to two additional weapons or one two handed weapon.

Twin mind blade style
Prerequisites: Int 13, Dex 15, Mind Blade, Shape Mind Blade, Two Weapon Fighting
Benefit: You may dual wield any combination of mind blade weapons you are able to create, suffering from penalties normally, as though they were regular weapons of the specified type.
Normal: The only weapons that may be dual wielded are short swords.

Personal Mind blade style [psionic]
Prerequisites: Int 15, Dex 15, Mind Blade, shape mind blade, two weapon fighting, Twin mind-blade style
Benefit: choose two light or one handed weapons that you can create with your mind blade. When using these weapons in conjunction, you function as though you had the improved two weapon fighting and two weapon defense feats.
Special: This feat may be taken more than once. It’s effects do not stack. Every time it is taken, it overrides the most previous time it was taken.
---

So, feel free to send any (pretinent) comments my way. Too overpowered? Worthless? Only like one? Tell me, Thanks :)

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
These look good. I don't particularly like the possibillity of making, say, an axe or halberd from glowing energy, though. I think it should be mostly straight weapons, like swords and spears and quarterstaves. There's a really cool picture on the front of Diamond Throne that shows a verrik woman wielding a quarterstaff of energy. Twin Mindblade Style and Personal Mindblade Style seem alright, but I don't particularly like the name of Perconal Style. I like the ideas for these. That is all.

EDIT: And you should probably specifically allow for double weapons with these feats.

Last edited:

Kisanji Arael

First Post
Well, I hate the idea of making a list for these feats of what is and isn't allowable, but honestly, although I dread the idea of a soul-flail as much as anyone who's seen the Passion (just kidding, don't flame me), I don't see how I would say what is and isn't allowable. Honestly, the two weapons I sort of made this for are rapier in the one handed category (if I can make it keen...) and glaives(and that's really a Seung Mina thing), and maybe great sword, but so although I know this could be abused, I don't know how well to stop it.

Also, I suck at making names, and have decided that I will be taking any ideas on names you all might have. The only one I'm actually attached to is creative differences.

I'll think about double weapons. More in the morning (by which I mean probably around 3 in the afternoon).

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
The first two feats make good sense, since I can easily picture a Soulknife with a preference for scimitars, and possibly some other weapons.

I think the third, giving the benefit of two feats, is too powerful; since the Soulknife will, typically, always use their mindblade, using it as a limitation isn't very limiting.

Kisanji Arael

First Post
Oh, thank you, someone else responded!

Alright, well, now that that's out of the way, I'll go a little further in depth. Looking back at this (which, although something I had wanted to do for a while, was perhaps not something I should have done after being awake for as long as I was.

So, here's version two.

Creative Differences [psionic]
Prerequisites: Int 13, Mind Blade, Shape Mind Blade
Benefit: choose two light or one-handed weapons that you are proficient with from the list below. Alternatively, choose one two handed or double weapon that you are proficient with. You can now shape your mind blade into these forms. They have the same hardness and hit points as your standard mind blade, and are affected by the same rules.
---
Simple Weapons: Dagger, Punching dagger, sickle, quarterstaff,
Martial Weapons: Kukri, rapier, scimitar, falchion, greatsword
Exotic Weapons: sai, two-bladed sword
However, as always, it is up to a DM’s discretion as to what is appropriate on this list.
---
Normal: You can only form your mind blade into short swords, long swords, and bastard swords.
Special: This feat can be taken multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Every time you take it after the first, it adds two additional weapons or one two handed weapon.

Schism of mind [psionic]
Prerequisites: Int 13, Dex 15, Mind Blade, Shape Mind Blade, Two Weapon Fighting
Benefit: You may dual wield any combination of mind blade weapons you are able to create, suffering from penalties normally, as though they were regular weapons of the specified type.
Normal: The only weapons that may be dual wielded are short swords.

Also, I had thought about the ability to form one's mind blade into a short shield, but I wasn't sure if that would be farfetched. As always, any imput is much obliged

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads