• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E A First Look at Tasha’s Lineage System In AL Player’s Guide - Customizing Your Origin In D&D

The new player’s guide for the D&D Adventurers League has been released. Appendix 1 includes the new info from Tasha’s Cauldron on customizing your origin. It‘s a one-page appendix. The D&D Adventurers League now uses this variant system from Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything since it allows for a greater degree of customization. For ease of reference, the relevant information is included as...

The new player’s guide for the D&D Adventurers League has been released. Appendix 1 includes the new info from Tasha’s Cauldron on customizing your origin. It‘s a one-page appendix.

38384683-0EFA-4481-8D96-3C033B9F7F03.jpeg

The D&D Adventurers League now uses this variant system from Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything since it allows for a greater degree of customization. For ease of reference, the relevant information is included as an appendix to this document and doesn’t count against the PH + 1 rule.

You can do any of the following (obviously the full document has more detail):

1. Move your race ability score increases wherever your want to. “...take any ability score increase you gain in your race or subrace and apply it to an ability score of your choice.”​

2. Replace each language from your race with any language from a set list.​

3. Swap each proficiency for another of the same type.​

4. Alter behaviour/personality race-based descriptions.​

Its not clear if that’s the whole Lineage system or just part of it. You can download the player’s guide here.

jasper

Rotten DM
As a vintage player, I would just say that I always thought rolling for ability scores was dumb. If I rolled and got bad numbers, that PC just decided to stay home and work on the farm. ;)
hey @Oofta bring your farmers this week. The group is going to save the village this week.
Oofta, "I swear jasper if you have Fred eaten by another Ankheg again... I will flip the table."

Horwath

Legend
I would do normal point-buy, but will 16 costing 11 points and 32 points to spend. I think 14 and 15 for costs are fine, but meh it is a minor difference.

For default array I would do 16, 15, 13, 12, 10, 9. It is basically the standard array with the 14 getting the +2 and the 8 getting the +1.

I went with 3E ability cost and default array is just 5E array with "half-elf treatment" :p

15+1, 14+2, 13+1, 12, 10, 8

what can I say, I hate odd scores :D

Horwath

Legend
My point was that players only accept restrictions if they feel it's reasonable. If they don't, you might see players walk (if mature) or act out (if not). The idea that if you set expectations early, players won't balk flies against what I've seen in game.

This is true, you must give good reasons why are you putting the limit on character concepts/options.
And stating that you are the DM and it is; "my way or the high-way", will most often than not result in players leaving.

Even if you are the DM, D&D is a team game, and all players must be onboard with all new/house rules.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Just a sense of balance. Also, if you look at the most common results from 4d6-L it was something more like the array I suggested. IDK, it was a while ago I did the calculations and I don't have the spreadsheet any longer.

I would limit scores to 16 at level one. The only exception would be the human variant, which with the feat could have a single 17... Then again, I've never seen the need to have my scores above 16 and will take feats instead of using ASI to bump them 9 times out of 10.

If you want to limit max score to 18, or that you can have 20 at 12th level and not before, just say so :D
That has nothing to do with it.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I'm so glad you've never had a player quit or worse sabotage a game because they felt hamstrung by the DMs "arbitrary restrictions".

Uhm. I think the poster I was responding to said their players never had a problem with restrictions if they were nicely told about them in advance. My response was implying scepticism about that (and therefore imagining that some players at ith r tables would balk ). I think I was hinting the kinds of problems you mentioned later (albeit maybe not quite that extreme, yeesh!).

Last edited:

Horwath

Legend
Just a sense of balance. Also, if you look at the most common results from 4d6-L it was something more like the array I suggested. IDK, it was a while ago I did the calculations and I don't have the spreadsheet any longer.

I would limit scores to 16 at level one. The only exception would be the human variant, which with the feat could have a single 17... Then again, I've never seen the need to have my scores above 16 and will take feats instead of using ASI to bump them 9 times out of 10.

That has nothing to do with it.

guess we,ll agree then that point buy is the best :p

also I would not give ASI to human from half feat at 1st level.
Either 1 full-feat or 2 half-feats without ASI

when we're at it, just remove +1 ASI from all half feats.
Then when you gain ASI from your class; raise 1 ability by 2, two abilities by 1, one half feat and one ability by 1, two half feats or one full feat.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads