• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Five Foot Vorpal Sword vs A Ten Foot Neck

Diamond Cross

Banned
Banned
All right, here's the situation.

Your player has a Vorpal Sword that is five foot in length. He is facing a large Dragon that has a ten foot neck in diameter.

Even if the players rolls a natural 20, would you allow a five foot vorpal sword to cut the head off of a dragon, or any beast, that has a neck diameter of ten feet, or more, would you allow the entire head of the beast be chopped off?

Yes. Its magic.

Scratch that. If a character had a non-magical head cutting ability, I would still allow him to cut off a head that was a million bajillion feet wide.

Kolvin

Explorer
Does it matter? If the character cuts through 5 feet of neck out of a 10 foot diameter neck the dragon will be just as dead.

If you cut halway through a person's or an animal's neck death won't be far behind....

Lancelot

Adventurer
Yes. But then, I also allow PCs to survive a 100ft fall if 10d10 damage doesn't exceed their current HP... I allow wizards to somehow turn bat guano and mumbled words into raging balls of fire... and I allow giant reptiles whose bone structure would simply collapse in normal gravity to not only walk erect, but even fly.

I laugh in the face of logic.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
Your player has a Vorpal Sword that is five foot in length. He is facing a large Dragon that has a ten foot neck in diameter.

If you are going to question the ability of a vorpal blade to decapitate a 10 feet diameter neck, you need to be coherent and question the ability of ANY man sized weapon to cause ANY harm at all to a beast that size.

Chris Knapp

First Post
Cut the back of the neck (top?) and sever the spinal cord. Could probably do it with a vorpal dagger. . .

Its all about the imagination anyway.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I ask myself: what's the coolest thing that can happen at this very moment? Then I do that. Depending on the stage of the battle it might involve an epic beheading -- or a very, very pissed off dragon.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Yes, if the player makes a Snicker-Snack sound effect. :p

Look, in the game of heroic fantasy I tend to play, the more severed heads of your enemies there are, the better.

Build a frickin' throne out of 'em.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Yes. If you don't, it's not really a Vorpal Sword anymore. It's the sword of cutting through only the necks of those who are appropriate sizes and that old chart in the back of the DMG 1st ed guide is useless! Errata I say! I demand errata!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads