• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Five Foot Vorpal Sword vs A Ten Foot Neck

Jhaelen

First Post
Gnome: I stab the giant king in the ankle, because that's all I can reach.
Gnome:*rolls* Critical hit!
DM: The giant king's head pops off.
Gnome: Woot!
DM: As you watch the head bouncing on the floor, you notice something odd: the head's hair twists into tentacle-like strands and with their help slowly crawl back in your direction, it's eyes blazing with a fury born from undeath...
Gome: Aaahhh! Mommy! *drops his vorpal dagger and runs away*

(see: 3e Tome of Magic: deathshead) :D

*Imagines a size "Large" (horse sized) dragon with a 10 foot diameter neck.*

I'm picturing something like a small purple worm with a super tiny head dragging a flailing hyperactive little "bodylet" behind it, wings pumping frantically.

But I digress. :p

Diamond Cross

Banned
Banned
What good is half a neck?

Also... what has a 10' thick neck?

Not quite exactly and explicitly ten foot, but you get the idea:

DSC03593.JPG

Picasa Web Albums - srinivas

sjmiller

Explorer
I have to say that I agree with the majority who say that the size of a vorpal blade does not matter. It is magic, after all. MY question is what weapon are you giving them that has a five-foot long blade? Must be a greatsword. Can't think of anything else that would qualify.

deinol

First Post
I let my players vorpal a roper, even though I'm not really sure where the neck would be. We figured he slashed through diagonally and the top half slid down anime style.

Here you can find many examples of thick stuff being cut in half, or decapitated by the power of sheer heroic awesomeness.

I quote:
TV Tropes said:
Disconcertingly, the actual depth of the object that's being sliced never affects the outcome of this move. It's possible to Diagonal Cut items that greatly exceed the length of the swordsman's blade, such as cars, sequoias or in extreme cases entire buildings.

Remove ads