• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A game like no other!

Kirnon_Bhale

Explorer
I have had one of the most interesting games of "D&D" ever (at least for me).

The setup is this, An Ogre Mage has stolen a huge amount of treasure from a local duke and is threatening the countryside with his army of controlled undead and monsterous allies.

While the above is not groundbreaking or anything, the fact that I was running this game for my three boys aged 4, 5 and 6 respectively is what made it interesting.

The game started with each of the players choosing a mini for their character. The choices were (Not the mini's actual title) a Ghost, a skeletal dog and a small water elemental. (Being their first dip into the rpg waters I was very liberal)

It started with the three entering the dungeon of the ogre mage and being attacked from all sides by a group of hobgoblins, quickly they spread out each attacking and rolling the dice to determine their success. Things went pretty much by the book with the elemental avoiding opportunity attacks by turning into a flowing river positioning nicely for opportunity attacks while the ghost phased through walls for the same effect. The dog simply charged in using its superior speed. It was at this point that I learned that the game was going to be more interesting then first envisaged. My 5 year old who was playing the dog suddenly said to me on the turn of my archer that when the guy moved away that the dog could attack him - thus bringing him down.

Combat finished quickly, and each child had a slight gleam in his eye. after a few more dank and blood filled passage ways the party was once more attacked by some guards, to my surprise it turned out that the skeletal dog and elemental had actually been possessed by ghosts themselves whereupon the two children produced some suitably ghostly figurines and proceeded to possess my carefully selected warriors, causing my creatures much consternation as the did not want to attack their own comrades - this however did not stop my sons attacking their enemies. Soon they made short work of thier foes.

The game continued that way each time a new combat would come they would come out with wonderful new ideas and tricks that their ghosts could perform.

Finally they got to the Ogre Mage and having grown wise to their ways I told them that his magical power prevented them from possessing him - so they proceeded to sink into the floor and attack him from below, this epic battle was brilliant. Finally after nearly dying themselves (again) they were victorious.

Their elation was wonderful to see, and their imagination was a marvel to behold. If only I were as imaginative in the games that I participate in.

Needless to say they now continue to pester me for another opportunity to flex their creative muscles and show me how to really be creative and imaginative.

I will have to be much more wily next time.

This was obviously not true D&D there were no str scores etc. to hit involved a 10 or over on the d20 except when there were stronger monsters damage was always 1 point HP started at 10 no healing, etc.

Simon Atavax

First Post
Very cool, very inspiring, Kirnon. I'm actually planning a similar game with my 5-year-old daughter, so I'm alert to this kind of stuff. :) She's really into the boardgame Labyrinth, and she loves the Webkinz card game (sort of a non-violent Pokemon for kindergarten kids :)).

I'm thinking of buying a bunch of dungeon tiles and using them as a randomly placed board (sort of like your typical tile-placement game, like Betrayal at House on the Hill or whatnot). Mechanics will be similar to what you described; hit on 10 or over or whatever on d20.

It's exciting to see how interested my little girl is in gaming in various forms. Obviously your kids are too. Keep it up! :)

Kirnon_Bhale

Explorer
Thanks Simon,

My boys loved it - they constantly ask when they will be allowed to play again. They also love playing their own version of LotR Risk and love the D&D board game as that is pretty much dungeon tiles.

I laid out a bunch of tiles randomly for our battle vs. the Ogre Mage.

Should say as advice that the simpler the better at such a young age - this helps both you and the kids. Simpler for them means that they understand what they have to do. Simpler for you means that when they come up with some wacky idea for doing something that you are able to run with it and not worry about how many rules you are having to throw out the window.

I personally feel that this is a strength of 4e - simpler rules then 3e (which I love - not starting an edition war) makes it possible for wackier actions that will not break the system.

Slowly as we continue I will bring a few more rules in, but probably not for a few more years. I started on Basic when I was 8 so I don't think that things will be to much of a leap for the young ones.

Simon Atavax

First Post
I personally feel that this is a strength of 4e - simpler rules then 3e (which I love - not starting an edition war) makes it possible for wackier actions that will not break the system.

Slowly as we continue I will bring a few more rules in, but probably not for a few more years. I started on Basic when I was 8 so I don't think that things will be to much of a leap for the young ones.

I had an idea a few months ago to convert Snakes & Ladders to a D&D-type game. Instead of generic playing pieces, we would have an elf, a fighter, etc. (minis). I'd place monsters and treasure in random places on the board, and make some quick combat rule (probably just roll 1d6, higher wins or something). Each character would start with five "power gems" (little colored glass gaming stones) that would allow a re-roll for movement.

I think, though, that my little girl has now outgrown a Snakes & Ladders-based D&D game. I just ordered a ton of D&D 3.x dungeon tiles (all dirt cheap on amazon!) and I'm going to jerry-rig some kind of quick and easy dungeon exploration game. I'm pumped!

Engilbrand

First Post
One of my friends was running his 10 year old. He was holding off on the 6 year old. He finally relented, and said that he was surpised. I told him that he should throw a beer-wench into the game just to make the kids feel really uncomfortable. :)

Kirnon_Bhale

Explorer
You are a cruel person Engilbrand :lol:

I had a good grasp when I was 8. I played in my brothers group - they were all 5+ years older then me (my brother was my in) My boys had a good grasp of what they needed to do, I would suggest that there is no harm in letting them have a go.

Start them young thats what I say.

I liked the snakes and ladders thing. I had an idea to convert chess into a more combat oriented game where battles were actually fought.

But since my chess set is soap stone, I don't think that I will give the boys carte blanche with it, rather stick to dungeon tiles.

Remove ads