• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Game of Thrones+Magic=?

Eltharon

Explorer
Hi
I'm running a D20 campaign (or will be soon) using the AGoT D20 rules. Its a low magic. grittier world then DnD, and the background fits AGoT perfectly.
The problem is that its low magic, not no magic. AGoTs magic is very...eh (You take a prestige class, and then can take feats, each feat=one spell, very ritual based and very limited in use). For the setting, its fine, but I'm looking for a bit more magic then that. More like magic in the empire in Warhammer FRPG (A little less, actually). However, porting DnD magic right over creates problems involving low HP and shock values, and means that a 5D6 fireball will probably end a fight before anyone gets to roll for initiative.
So how do I take a magic system, elements of magic, specificly, and stick it into AGoT?

Thanks
Eltharon

Teflon Billy

Explorer
If you want people shooting Fireballs that don't immediately incinerate the common soldier (or, indeed, a game with Firebals at all), why use the AGoT rules?

Eltharon

Explorer
It was just an example. I'm trying to figure out how to include damaging spells without unbalancing the game. I want to use AGoT because everything EXCEPT the magic system is what I'm looking for.

Byrons_Ghost

First Post
In my recent Spellslinger game, I wanted to include a similar damage threshold but had the same concerns. What I did was to make shock saves occur on critical hits, rather than based on damage rolled. Thus, since there's no attack roll on fireball, no automatic shock save. Weaponlike spells with attack rolls could still crit and force a save, but that's balanced by the fact that you're generally only hitting one person instead of a group.

Of course, this might be too much of a change to the GoT rules, but it's about all I could think of.

Maester Luwin

First Post
Hey Eltharon! I would recommend using Elements of Magic: Mythic Earth. It may be what your loooking for & I think it would be a good fit with AGoT. Thanks Maester Luwin

FrostedMini1337

First Post
Over on the AGOT d20 fanboards it been suggested that a better resolution, while keeping magic in check is keeping it feat based but modify it: make feat trees.

Each spell class becomes it's own feat tree with Lesser(Req 15 Wis), Mage(Req, Lesser, 17 Wis) and Master(Req, Lesser, Mage, 19 Wis) levels. Each school (I.E. The Shadowbinders get Enchantments and Illusions, Priests get Healing and Augmentations, Flame Seers get Divinations, etc) has it owns tree. Each level lets you choose 2-3 spells from a list of 6-10. Evocations are restricted to Master levels, and each of the schools would only have a few availible to it and having a casting time of at least 3 full-round actions, severe caps, and some sort of drawback such as ability Damage.

Also, you can throw some other stuff in there instead of spells. (The Flame Seers can choose to gain flame resistance instead of a spell, Shadowbinders can get a bonus to Hide and Diplo instead of a spell). You can take each level twice, but each time the requisite increases by 1 (Lesser takes 16 Wis the second time).

Sorry for nothing more concrete. And for rambling.

Eltharon

Explorer
What sort of magic is it? I'm not terribly worried about non-combat spells (as planeshifting and teleporting are going to be noticably absent from any spell list).
I was thinking to make mage a prestige class, limiting its caster level to 7 1/2 (in EoM terms) or maybe only 5.

The other option is to use the spellcasting from D20 Warheart (its a free download). Its spellcraft based, and damage spells cap out at 5D8. Not to mention the fact that the mage could blow himself up.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads