• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Gaming Table My Wife Will Let Me Have

dogoftheunderworld

Adventurer
Supporter
I saw this at GenCon. It is a pretty table. I'm sure that there are a lot of 30-something gamers who could afford it (I would be one, if I didn't have a mortgage, 3 kids, etc -- and wouldn't trade that for the world ;) ).

But really, I didn't care for the layout. A lip of the table= nice; but sunken 8" = hard to reach. All the cool hidden foldout nooks = even harder to reach the table space. You would have to stand to reach the table, but the nooks are all chair level. Anyway... just not as functional for me to justify that kind of money (even if I had it -- that is, even if my wife would let me spend it)

Korgoth

First Post
Well, there's 10k laying around and then there's 10k laying around. If someone did happen to have 10k they were interested in dropping on a game table, they should probably look at an inventory of their recent charitable contributions, whether they or their family have any outstanding debt, etc. Simply having 10k and wanting to spend it on a hobby table isn't enough... there'd have to be a complete context that justified that expenditure.

Xyxox

Hero
Well, there's 10k laying around and then there's 10k laying around. If someone did happen to have 10k they were interested in dropping on a game table, they should probably look at an inventory of their recent charitable contributions, whether they or their family have any outstanding debt, etc. Simply having 10k and wanting to spend it on a hobby table isn't enough... there'd have to be a complete context that justified that expenditure.

Life is a series of choices and value placed on anything by indviduals will differ greatly person to person. This is why some people can see paying $10K for a comic book that may have originally cost ten cents.

Justification for any expenditure need only be made to the person making the expenditure. What I can justify purchasing for me need never be justified to you.

Korgoth

First Post
Life is a series of choices and value placed on anything by indviduals will differ greatly person to person. This is why some people can see paying $10K for a comic book that may have originally cost ten cents.

Justification for any expenditure need only be made to the person making the expenditure. What I can justify purchasing for me need never be justified to you.

Relativitism blah blah. Whatever. I'm just saying that it's a fact that there are hungry people in the world. The fact of the existence of skinny kids in Africa doesn't stop people from having hobbies per se, especially relatively cheap hobbies like gaming, but the fact is we owe them some bread. So before 10k gets dropped, we have to make sure that we've done our due diligence. That's all I'm saying.

I know people have different priorities. But if helping out starving kids is a lower priority for a guy than a 10,000$ gaming table, then it's just an objective truth that the guy in question has inverted priorities.

Now, if you've got 11k laying around, hand off a G to the disadvantaged and game on.

Darkwolf71

First Post
Relativitism blah blah. Whatever. I'm just saying that it's a fact that there are hungry people in the world. The fact of the existence of skinny kids in Africa doesn't stop people from having hobbies per se, especially relatively cheap hobbies like gaming, but the fact is we owe them some bread. So before 10k gets dropped, we have to make sure that we've done our due diligence. That's all I'm saying.

I know people have different priorities. But if helping out starving kids is a lower priority for a guy than a 10,000$ gaming table, then it's just an objective truth that the guy in question has inverted priorities.

Now, if you've got 11k laying around, hand off a G to the disadvantaged and game on.
And how do you know how much he has or hasn't donated to X church or charity? Even if he hasn't you have no right to try and dictate or even question where anyone's money is spent other than your own.

Xyxox

Hero

These seem to be your moral positions. They have nothing to do with me. I may or may not take into consideration charitable contributions in any spending decision I make. Whether or not I do so is irrelevent to the conversation. I have every right to refuse to donate a penny if I so choose, just as I have every right to donate 50% of all I make if I so choose.

As my first words stated so clearly, "Life is a series of choices." I'll make my choices based upon my values. Your values mean nothing to my choices.

crazy_cat

Adventurer
these seem to be your moral positions. They have nothing to do with me. I may or may not take into consideration charitable contributions in any spending decision i make. Whether or not i do so is irrelevent to the conversation. I have every right to refuse to donate a penny if i so choose, just as i have every right to donate 50% of all i make if i so choose.

As my first words stated so clearly, "life is a series of choices." i'll make my choices based upon my values. Your values mean nothing to my choices.
qft

Remove ads