• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A giant frog ate my halfling.

Goblyn

Explorer
I just recently played The Temple of Elemental Evil for the PC for the first time. I was so happy to see the new rules used in a CRPG. It always seemed to me that they would work better, being more internally consistant and all ...

anyway, my point is that even with the 6-hour evaluation limit, it almost brought a tear to my eye. I loved it.

[Edit]: The title is the sumup of one of the battles I fought in the game, in case anyone is wondering.

Goblyn

Explorer
silvermane said:
What new rules? I've been thinking about buying ToEE. Does it have as many add-ons as Neverwinter?

By new rules I mean the 3.x rules as opposed to all the 2e-based games.

About add-ons I don't know. There are a couple of patches, but you can check out the website and download the 6-hour demo for free; at $30, I may buy it ASAP. Also, I don't know anything about NWN.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
I really liked this game. But then I have enjoyed every game that I have tried by this team. Fallout, Fallout 2, Arcanum... all excellent. (Especially Arcanum.)

The Auld Grump, my only problem with Arcanum - no matter how much I want to try a Magic based character I end up going Tech...

drose25

Explorer
I have the game and love it! Got it new at Half-Price Books for $7. It is a pretty faithful implementation of the 3.5 rules and is generally flexible in game play. Your characters choose their feats and skills and create magic items, weapons, etc. just as the rules proscribe.

They are some fan mods available out there, visit www.co8.org I think. The Atari patches are required to make the game playable (at least for me, the out of box version was terribly clunky) and the co8 group has a patch which adds more functionality.

I'm looking forward to the next D&D product from these guys as I have enjoyed this game more than Baldur's Gate or any other I've played in a long time. Reminds me a lot of Daggerfall, where characters had a lot more options than they did in the standard games of the time. (Boy, that magic item creator was great!)

Goblyn

Explorer
Everything I hear about ToEE make me want it that much more, if only for a faithful CRPG conversion of 3e rules.

As soon as I'm settled and get a computer, it's gonna get got.

Is it available for Mac?

Greylock

First Post
silvermane said:
Does it have as many add-ons as Neverwinter?

Nope, and there will likely never be many. This game did not generate much love in the CRPG community when it was released. Atari rushed it, put it out in the market KNOWING it was buggy as hell, much worse than the piddling glitches you get with other games. Then they had the cahones to blame the developers, who knew of the bugs and protested that they weren't done yet. Bad karma, and many people are still, uhm, displeased with Atari about it.

But it always has gotten high marks for it's implementation of 3.5 rules.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Greylock said:
Nope, and there will likely never be many. This game did not generate much love in the CRPG community when it was released. Atari rushed it, put it out in the market KNOWING it was buggy as hell, much worse than the piddling glitches you get with other games. Then they had the cahones to blame the developers, who knew of the bugs and protested that they weren't done yet. Bad karma, and many people are still, uhm, displeased with Atari about it.

But it always has gotten high marks for it's implementation of 3.5 rules.

Worse, I gather a lot of the bugs crept in when Atari ripped out the Evil plotlines, without much regard for the code.

Troika gone? D*amn! They were one of my favorite companies! I kept hoping that somebody would do a sequel to Arcanum.

The Auld Grump

drose25

Explorer
That's a shame. I've really enjoyed the game once I got it patched and usable. It was very buggy right out of the box. I'm disappointed to hear Atari has such crappy business practices.

Remove ads