• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A giant frog ate my halfling.

Goblyn

Explorer
My real hope is that this is the start of a trend of games using 3.5 rules, but not a trend of really buggyt DnD games. I see NWN is available for Mac. Is it good?:)

Welverin

First Post
Goblyn said:
I see NWN is available for Mac. Is it good?:)

Depends on what you expect from it, based on comments here if you're expecting another BG2 you'll be disappointed, if you take it for what Bioware was going for (the RPG ecquivalent of Quake/HL, I highly modable multi-player game), you'll love it. Also people around here seemed to consider the expansion campaigns better than the one in the main game.

Gamefaqs and Gamerankings have all of the reviews you need to decide for yourself.

mattcolville

Adventurer
TheAuldGrump said:
I really liked this game. But then I have enjoyed every game that I have tried by this team. Fallout, Fallout 2, Arcanum... all excellent. (Especially Arcanum.)

The Auld Grump, my only problem with Arcanum - no matter how much I want to try a Magic based character I end up going Tech...

I would not describe the Temple team as being "the same team" that did Fallout.

Goblyn

Explorer
Welverin said:
Depends on what you expect from it, based on comments here if you're expecting another BG2 you'll be disappointed, if you take it for what Bioware was going for (the RPG ecquivalent of Quake/HL, I highly modable multi-player game), you'll love it. Also people around here seemed to consider the expansion campaigns better than the one in the main game.

Gamefaqs and Gamerankings have all of the reviews you need to decide for yourself.

Thanks for the links. What I expect is a crpg with a faithful conversion of the 3.x rules.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
mattcolville said:
I would not describe the Temple team as being "the same team" that did Fallout.

Take a look at the team members, not the name of the company. While not identical they share a fair number of people.

The Auld Grump

Lazybones

Adventurer
Goblyn said:
My real hope is that this is the start of a trend of games using 3.5 rules, but not a trend of really buggyt DnD games. I see NWN is available for Mac. Is it good?:)
NWN2, which is being done by Obsidian (KOTOR2) with support by Bioware, will be 3.5e and is expected some time in 2006. Obsidian has a lot of the Black Isle people (Icewind Dale series).

ragboy

Explorer
I just picked up ToEE for $10. What was buggy about the 'out-of-the-box' experience? I've played for about 6 or 7 hours and haven't encountered any major problems (no patches applied yet).

drose25

Explorer
For me, the user interface worked poorly. The screen would not follow characters as they moved so every time you moved the party to the edge of the screen, you either had to use the mouse to (very slowly) scroll up or hit the home key to re-center. The slow scrolling and screen centering issue was fixed with one of the patches.

ragboy

Explorer
drose25 said:
For me, the user interface worked poorly. The screen would not follow characters as they moved so every time you moved the party to the edge of the screen, you either had to use the mouse to (very slowly) scroll up or hit the home key to re-center. The slow scrolling and screen centering issue was fixed with one of the patches.

I haven't had this problem. Interesting. The game was on a bargain shelf as a single jewel case with a cardboard slip cover, so maybe this release included some patching. What's funny is that on the other side of the shelf in the 'new games,' they still had the 'big box' version at $40. I'll have to check the version when I get home.

I haven't even done much of the 'role-playing' story. I basically equipped my party and headed out to the moathouse to fight. From reading some of the stuff online, it looks like there's a rich role-playing element that could keep me playing for a while.

I was so disappointed with the stock Neverwinter Nights adventure and the Pool of Radiance game... this has been a welcome surprise and great implementation of the 3.x edition rules in computer gaming.

satori01

First Post
One good thing about this game is if you have any player that has a hard time grasping Attacks of Opportunities and how to avoid them, mandate they have to play TToEE.

Best trainer out there.

Remove ads