• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A good buy? Specs for PC inside...

GentleGiant

Explorer
Okay, so I jumped on the offer that a supermarket chain (ALDI) has from time to time and came home with this little beast (the price was, with today's currency, $1,391.30 - £739.45 - €1,073.88):

CPU Intel Pentium 4 Processor 640 with HT Technology 3.20GHz, 2MB L2 Cache and
800MHz Front Side Bus, 64 Bit technology to support future computing needs (64Bit Operating System)
RAM 1024MB DDR 400Mhz (1 bank free for upgrading)
Hard Drive 250GB Hard Disc Capacity 8MB Cache Western Digital - super fast 7200rpm
Graphics Card ATi RADEON X740 XL PCI-Express x16 Graphics Card 128MB DDR3 Memory at 900MHz - 1 x DVI-I, 1 x VGA (D-sub), TV-Out Connections by 1 x SCART, S-Video or Composite.
Optical Drive 1 Pioneer 16x Dual Layer Multi Format DVD/CD Re-Writer. Write Speed: 4x DVD+R9(DL), 16x DVD+R, 16x DVD-R, 4x DVD+RW, 6xDVD-RW, 40x CD-R, 24x CD-RW. Read Speed: 16x DVD-ROM, 40x CD-ROM
Optical Drive 2 DVD-ROM 16x
Wireless WLAN Wireless WLAN card – IEEE 802.11g (I think... the Danish specs just say "WLAN 54 Mbit/s")
Sound Onboard 8 channel Intel High Definition Audio; 7.1 surround sound
Network Fast Ethernet 10/100 MBit LAN port
USB ports 6 x USB v2.0 ports (2 front and 4 rear)
Firewire ports 2 x Firewire/IEEE 1394 ports (1 front and 1 rear)
Modem 56k V.9x PCI data/fax modem incl. fax software and modem cable
Keyboard MEDION Multimedia Wireless keyboard with programmable hot keys
Mouse MEDION Wireless Mouse with ScrollWheel
Headset MEDION Headset with microphone
TV/Radio Tuner MEDION DVB-T Digital TV / Analogue stereo TV & FM Radio Tuner Card .
Remote Control RF remote for control of DVD, TV, VCR, CD, Radio and photo slideshows.
Bluetooth Wireless Bluetooth module (internal)
AirXL AirXL – Latest fan and heat pipe technology
ConnectXL panel 2 x USB 2.0
1 x Firewire (Mini and Standard port)
1 x S-Video In
1 x Composite In
1 x Microphone In
1 x Headphones Out
1 x Audio Line In (Cinch In – Audio left and right)
Integrated Flash Memory Card Reader (USB 2.0)
Sony Memory Stick / Pro, IBM Micro Drive, MMC Multimedia Card, Compact Flash Card, Smart Media Card, SD Card; XD Card
Integrated SmartCard Reader for credit/debit cards and mobile phone SIM cards

Now, what I'd like to know is for someone a bit more knowledgeable than myself to take a look at the specifics and tell me if everything seems to be of a decent quality.
Any help/advice/praise/boo-ing is appreciated. :D
Specifically I'm interested in opinions on the graphics card :)

Rackhir

Explorer
It seems to be a decent though not spectacular buy.

Checking on Pricewatch
The Proc seems to go for about $300.
I couldn't find an ATI X740 card, but the X700 series goes for $150-$200.
No mention of the MB type, so call that $100
Call it $80-$100 for the memory, though it sounds like it doesn't support dual channel memory which is a performance hit.
Roughly $115 for the HD, which is not a spectacularly fast drive. Though not slow either.
Case who knows? $50-$80
DVD drive $65
Total Roughly - $1000

Can't be certain, but it looks like the X740 is better than the X700 series. It doesn't seem to be sold in the US. So it is certainly a decent card. It's not top of the line, but it's probably better than any of the previous gen cards.

Obfuscated

First Post
I'd say that with all the additional doodads (although not necessary for the pc) you got a pretty decent deal.

Not counting the $1000 worth that was mentioned in the previous post you have
Tv/Radio Tuner card - can vary between $30 and $250 depending on quality
Bluetooth card - about $50
Wireless headset mouse and keyboard - a good $100 or more value
Additional DVD drive - $25
Integrated Flash card reader - $20-$25
etc...

Looks like a good find in my overall.

GentleGiant

Explorer
Obfuscated said:
I'd say that with all the additional doodads (although not necessary for the pc) you got a pretty decent deal.

Not counting the $1000 worth that was mentioned in the previous post you have
Tv/Radio Tuner card - can vary between $30 and $250 depending on quality
Bluetooth card - about $50
Wireless headset mouse and keyboard - a good $100 or more value
Additional DVD drive - $25
Integrated Flash card reader - $20-$25
etc...

Looks like a good find in my overall.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Sure, not all of the things are absolutely necessary, but most of them are nifty things to have. The Bluetooth for instance (since I don't have a cable for my cell-phone).
Also notice that one of the DVD drives is a DVD burner too.

Also, to Rackhir too, the US price has to be viewed from a standpoint that the dollar is still quite weak at the moment. A stronger dollar would result in a price closer to the $1,230 - $1,140 range.

But I'm glad to hear that the graphics card isn't a total dufus. :)

Remove ads