• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A good song to play during an elven funeral?

Wraith Form

Explorer
Other suggestions:

Find (buy, illegally download, whatever your conscience can handle) any of the three Lord of the Rings movie soundtracks. There are several tracks off any of the three that'll fit your bill very nicely.

Or try the band Dead Can Dance. Aion, the Serpent's Egg, Spleen & Ideal, and Into the Labyrinth are all terrific choices, but my personal favorite is Within the Realm of a Dying Sun.

MrFilthyIke

First Post
I'll second Dead Can Dance and suggest the song I Am Stretched On Your Grave

I am stretched on your grave
And will lie there forever
With your hands held in mine
I'd be sure we'd not sever
My apple tree my brightness
'Tis time we were together
For I smell of the earth
And am stained by the weather

When my family thinks
That I'm safe in my bed
From night until morning
I am stretched at your head
Calling out to the air
With tears both hot and wild
Oh I grieve for the girl
That I loved as a child

The priests and the friars
Behold me in dread
Because I still love you
My love and you're dead
I would still be your shelter
From rain and from storm
And with you in your cold grave
I cannot sleep warm

Would be very good for heartbroken lovers seperated by death, or for somber elves in general.

Last edited:

ecliptic

First Post
Find (buy, illegally download, whatever your conscience can handle) any of the three Lord of the Rings movie soundtracks. There are several tracks off any of the three that'll fit your bill very nicely.

I have them, I kinda wanted to keep away from commonly heard music by us.

Klaus

First Post
cmanos said:
Into the West from the Return of the King soundtrack
Ditto.

"You've come now to journey's end" and all that...

>sob<

Curse you, Annie Lennox, and your performing skills!

>whaaaaaa<

ivocaliban

First Post
This issue was brought up in wolf70's thread regarding how to handle an elven funeral. It got me thinking about classical music that was appropriate for the occaision and I'm sorry to say that there isn't much to be found there. Brass and percussion seems out of place for a variety of reasons, which leaves woodwinds and strings for the most part. Recently (or perhaps not so recently) elves have been identified with Celtic music and while there is some of that to be found in classical music of the UK and Scotland, very little of it is gracefully elegiac.

In lines with classical music, probably the closest I've come are the works of Vaughan Williams. Portions of his "Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis" and "Five Variants of 'Dives and Lazarus'" are appropriately pastoral and gentle, but still seem all too human. Grieg's "Death of Aase" (which I believe wolf70 was considering) seems too heavy and cold now that I've listened to it again. Faure's Requiem (which someone else mentioned) seems passable, but the Latin lyrics of the mass are too familiar and, again, human.

What this leaves us with is either traditional Celtic music or New Age musings. Works by Enya, Clannad, Loreena McKennitt, Dead Can Dance and Altan might appeal to some, but some of it seems far to modern for me to associate with elves (a supposedly ancient race in an age long before sythesizers). In the end, I think a cappella is probably the way to go. We've come to associate the female voice with elven music and it seems to work best, but the real truth is the only music that seems right is the music that's composed specifically for or with elves (as they're known in D&D) in mind.

Sue Bloodbucket

First Post
I strongly recomend:

"Les folies d'Espagne" by Marin Marais.

It's a baroque song (14:18 mins) and going from tragic over to lightheartedness and back to tragic again.
So to say it blends perfectly with my view on the elfen community as such.

may she rest in peace.
Sue

Felix

Explorer
Make sure you set up a boombox in a seperate room to represent the party the orcs are throwing while this funeral is going on.

And on that boombox, play Queen: "Another one Bites the Dust".
Followed by "Na-na-na-na, na-na-na-na, Hey hey hey, Goodbye".
Then "Why can't we be friends" .
And as a finale, who can beat German House Techno? Rammstein and "Du hast".

Should make those emotionally sensitive elves break down in tears. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads