• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A good song to play during an elven funeral?

Sue Bloodbucket

First Post
Lazybones said:

"Orphans of Doom" from the Conan the Barbarian soundtrack, music by Basil Pouledouris.

Wah? I would let that one to the puny Humans! It's a song overloaded with "big brass" if you get my meaning. Suiteble for dead Paladins or Barbarians form Human heritage.

Btw. I wonder how many people don't take this one serious.
(and besides the one mentining the orcish party there was none funny)
It's not that I think one should live his life "bierernst" but the question stated was meant earnest or am I wrong on this?

regards
Sue

before I forget it: anybody tried "Dionarra Theme" by Mark Morgan from the Torment Computergame? I love it... Not that elvish if you think of them as a gaelic tradition (I do not) but very.... uhm.... dead?

Last edited:

LeifVignirsson

First Post
ecliptic said:
Um Finntroll is a metal band and they made no exception for Den sista runans dans. Why would elves play that? Hell it sounds like its sang by an ogre.

Ah, but you see.. this was their accoustic album and there is no growling or metal anything on that song. It has mournful horns and wonderful singing. Trust me...

ivocaliban

First Post
wolf70 said:
I am heartily enjoying this discussion, both on my thread and here. The use of music in gaming has always been a subject near to my heart. I don't use it often lately, because my players are familiar with so much of it and I don't want to distract them.

I'm enjoying it as well. Most of it at any rate. I think it might be an interesting project to make lists of music appropriate for various races to use on different occaisions. Funerals, weddings, battles...for elves, dwarves, etc. I've used music in games before, but it's a very dangerous thing if not handled properly. It can distract or ruin the flow just as easily as it can enhance the events in question.

Sue Bloodbucket said:
"Les folies d'Espagne" by Marin Marais.

It's a baroque song (14:18 mins) and going from tragic over to lightheartedness and back to tragic again.
So to say it blends perfectly with my view on the elfen community as such.

An excellent recommendation. This made me scour through my cd collection for the only Marais recordings I have, whereupon I found his "Tombeau pour Monsieur de Sainte-Colombe," an ode to his teacher. Very traditional, sombre music that one could imagine being played at the funeral itself, not as merely "soundtrack" material. Sainte-Colombe himself penned "Tombeau 'les Regrets'" which might also be appropriate.

Sue Bloodbucket said:
Btw. I wonder how many people don't take this one serious.
(and besides the one mentining the orcish party there was none funny)
It's not that I think one should live his life "bierernst" but the question stated was meant earnest or am I wrong on this?

I think you are correct. Unfortunately this does nothing for the "free country" argument.

Last edited:

ecliptic

First Post
I see people decided that it would be better to turn this into a joke thread then actually help.

Thanks.

:\

Thanks to those who actually gave serious suggestions.

Last edited:

Xath

Moder-gator
I'd say "Into the West" or "May it Be" from the Return of the King and Fellowship of the Ring soundtracks respectively.

DarrenGMiller

First Post
ecliptic said:
I see people decided that it would be better to turn this into a joke thread then actually help.

Thanks.

:\

Thanks to those who actually gave serious suggestions.

Yes, it is disappointing. My proposal would be to split the thread into the serious and a humor thread. You and I, along with Ivocaliban and Sue Bloodbucket, as well as several others, have been enjoying the thread as a serious discussion of the question.

I like the idea proposed to search for music for other ceremonies or occasions as well. I will start a thread or two this evening if nobody beats me to it.

DM

Sunglar

Explorer
Ah, Music in games… I did not use music in games at all for most of my time as a DM (18 years) except for the final session to one of my biggest campaigns. Then two years ago for the latest campaign I decided to use it, and it has worked out fine, although I carry a large number of CDs to the table. I usually pick one CD for the theme, and then play it as background music; sometimes going to a key song or songs that represents what I want to go for. My players know that when the music starts the game begins, nice cue to get everyone on board!

My recommendation for an elven funeral is something off the beaten path. Yma Sumac, a supposedly Incan Princess has some great exotic music. In my world elves sound like her singing.

There are some of her songs that are too tropical sounding or too pop but look and ye shall find.

Here is a biography…
http://www.parabrisas.com/d_sumacy.html

Some reference…
http://www.mp3.com/yma-sumac/artists/2632/summary.html

And a free sampler from a Peruvian site, I recommend Voice of Xtabay…
http://www.luisalvarado.com/musicalfiles/imasumac/imasumac.htm

Best of luck,

Sunglar

I was thinking you might try some Philip Glass. Then I tried to think of something he did without English lyrics. Try the title track from Koyaanisqatsi. It's very beautiful, but rather dirge-like. It does use the organ, but I like the idea of a huge tree, hollowed out and fitted with pipes so that it sounds like what we call an organ. The elves only play for very special occasions (royal marriage, funeral, etc.). Some of the other tracks are "lighter" in mood, if that's what you want.

The follow-up movie Powaqqatsi also has some very nice music by Philip Glass.

ivocaliban

First Post
Sunglar said:
My recommendation for an elven funeral is something off the beaten path. Yma Sumac, a supposedly Incan Princess has some great exotic music. In my world elves sound like her singing.

I have to admit I'd never considered Yma Sumac, but I do know of her. Mysterious lady with the strange name (spelled backwards it's Amy Camus, though there's conjecture as to whether that means anything) who recorded her most famous works during the early 50's. She has an amazing range (five octaves, I believe), though I'm mostly familiar with her mambo recordings. Those, I'm thinking, would probably not be very tastelful at a funeral. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads